Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Panel beating cost

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Deagol

Probably would have cost them more to pursue it than they'd recover - if the dog owner had no insurance they may have been unable to pay it anyway. Can't get blood out of a stone after all. It sucks a bit but that is why you have insurance after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

It is. Guess there's no point paying it and never using it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭jmreire

Of course the car owner has the final say, that's normal practice. Its just a question of which way they decide to go, either insurance or if the " at fault " driver decides to pay himself, and avoid affecting his no claim bonus ( I'm speaking in general terms here, and not specifically about this post)

I presume that his dog was responsible for the accident? And your insurance paid up, and said that they would go after him for their costs, but then did nothing? Could well be ( and most likely was ) a case of throwing good money after bad as far as they were concerned. Maybe he had no insurance ( if he had, 100% they would claim of them) and no prospects of a successful claim, even if they took him to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Insurance companies each have a list of repair shops that they recommend listed on the claim form. Is the claimant better off selecting one of these on the basis of lower cost rather than somebody the insurer has no relationship with?

I know many panel beaters won't deal with insurance companies at all and insist on straight cash transactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭rock22

If you have NCB protection then it probably makes more sense to let the insurance company deal with it, although, like you , i would be inclined to payout up to 1K.

However , this time last year, my car was struck by another in a supermarket car park. A scrape and slight dent. He decided to put it trough his insurance company and they nominated a 'preferred repairer'. The quote was over €1200 . When it came to actual do the repair, they gave me a replacement car for three days. But they had difficulty getting parts and I hade the replacement car for 10 days. I am not sure what that costs but i suspect up to another €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Goose81

Just to add body shops will try and take the piss if they think they can.

the mother took the whole rear quarter and door off her brand new Yaris a few years ago on the driveway pillar, absolutely destroyed it.

I got a few quotes of 3k and 2.5k then I sent pic to carcraft in Dublin and he did the whole thing for 1300 quid. The job was very good and I am a stickler, if it had come back with a hint of orange peel I would have made them respray it and I told them this before they did it.

people vastly overestimate the cost of body repairs , if you shop around you will get a good price but just ask to see previous work so you know they are not cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

This has to be a late entry for thread of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭rolling boh

just get the quotes for the damage and that should make the situation clear pretty quick hopefully not too much but expect them to be a bit higher than you may be thinking . Avoid main garages and say insurance is not involved good luck .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It was said to the people going off on a tangent talking about the OP getting multiple quotes themselves if they were not happy with the cost. The liable person has no say in where the car is repaired, family member or not.

Try and keep up.

It was me that said it. Don't get bogged down in pedantry - The same advice applies to their family member, obviously. Unless they want to be a geebag and saddle a loved one with unnecessary expense.

Try and keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭rolling boh

i think in general if it is a family member or close friend involved people would look for the cheaper fix but done as it should be and both sides are happy with the outcome .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can label it pedantry if you wish but the basic fact still remains - the liable party doesn't get to decide. If they are not happy with the cost presented then let the insurance company handle it.

Two different scenarios:

(1) The man who is at fault, has full comprehensive insurance, full no claims bonus protection etc. and duly reports it to his insurance and then goes with the owner to his dealership, who prepares an estimate, which is forwarded to the insurance. In due course, the insurance assessor arrives, inspects the car and agrees a repair figure,,,,,everything, car hire, depreciation etc. The person who caused the damage has nothing further to do at this stage, its all now between the owner, the Garage and the Insurance. So he shakes hands with his cousin / relative, apologies for the disruption, and go for a pint / coffee etc. End of story.

(2) Man at fault, only has basic 3rd party fire & theft.....no bonus protection etc. To makes matters worse, he has only 3/4 years no claims, and from his initial first insurance , which was very high ( as they tend to be ) to begin with, he now faces stepping back to Zero again, with all that entails price-wise. So he asks his cousin if he will be OK with trying to get 3 quotations, and accepting the lowest? Or does the owner want to get his own quotation from his garage, and he will pay, as he does not want to get his insurance involved unless he really has to, for the fore mentioned claim reasons. So, owner being a relative says, go ahead, get the best quotation you can, and I will accept that.

Or owner says, no dice, my car is too new, and I want it repaired by the dealership, as I will be trading it in to them, and I don't any problems when that happens. And the Garage quotation is pretty high, and the "hitter! has to put it through his insurance, and face the consequences. And as collateral damage, the family relationship might never be the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Whocare

Personally my car got damaged few years ago minor enough damage door repair new skin ect and other driver wanted pay for damage in cash (it was 100-percent his fault caught cctv and garda call ect) so very next morning got two quotes from professional big crash repair place in cork more or less around same price for repair €1200 anyway phone him up and he had problem with quotes saying for ffs those crash repair places are well known for being expensive take to this place I was like 👍 good luck we go through insurance bye. Repair cost insurance company then 1500 with hire car and all . My advice would be good body work repair is expensive and people don't realise it so first sign of problems with paying for repair go insurance

It's always the owners right to accept or refuse a suggestion from whoever causes the damage. Only difference is what caused the damage, owner or 3rd party, if the owner is paying himself, he / she tend to go for the cheapest quote, and when the insurance is paying, the sky's the limit. But this can be explained too,,,,usually cheaper quotes will come from small independent Bodyshop's, with smaller over head's while main dealerships will be much higher, assuming they actually have a body shop on the premise's, or else they will sub-contract to an independent shop, and charge fees for their service.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update. Sent my car to be repaired this week. Local guy. Did a fantastic job. Cost €320

still have to get the other car done but I expect it to be smiliar cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

You got off lightly I reckon and main thing is your happy with the work and finish!

Nice to see an update on final result too as all too often we don't hear from the OP anymore on final result after the initial question being posted.

I think so too! I've to get the other car done in the next month too. But will be sending it to the same person. Glad that half of it is sorted anyway.

Got the 2nd car done at the beginning of the month. Cost 450e. So all in 770 for both cars. Not too bad. Relative was happy with the job. Ironically someone else hit them a couple of days later!!! But thankfully I had finalised my repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Good to hear it worked out 👍

Advertisement