Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,969 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What about pantos and concerts?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

I assume they are part of cultural and entertainment, so 50% capacity if indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its a bit ridiculous introducing all of these restrictions when overall hospital numbers have gone DOWN by 100 in the last few weeks, as has our biggest problem, ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

We have a new super mutant on the way so Double M is trying to limit the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,801 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

At this stage I think it makes sense... better to be a bit cautious and proactive when we don't know what we're dealing with in Omicron, than to find ourselves suddenly overrun, and trying to react.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

Hopefully that means Omicron won’t hit us like a barrel, and the restrictions will just be for a fortnight.

Theres a chance omicron has already ripped through us and just wasn’t identified. Or, that it’s mild. I’d say if hospital numbers continue to drop below the 400 mark in the next or two they would have to open again.

I will say, personally I know a raft of people who tested positive in the last couple of weeks, and at my work have 30% of staff off at the moment due to either isolating or diagnosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

What are the odds on restrictions only being until January 9th based on past experience? Anyone taking bets?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

All COVID test centres closed in Cork tomorrow because of the red warning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I got to see the testing system up close & personal in Germany at the weekend. ~5.5 months after my 2nd Pfizer dose I got a positive result. It was a walk-in centre in an empty unit in a shopping centre. Maybe 20 mins in the queue. Antigen test first & then a rapid PCR test if you were positive. Luckily my German friend was with me as way too many long words for my very basic grasp of the language!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

^ Hope you're doing okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Thanks for the good wishes, luckily the vaccines did the job & it's been fairly mild. The only day I felt ropey was during the visit to the test centre on Sat which was a bit stressful. Been on the mend since so hopeful of traveling back to Ireland next weekend.

493 cases for Cork up to 15th of December

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

All my immediate family are now boosted, we got it done various ways, GPs, city hall walk-in and pharmacy. It’s so reassuring to see the uptake, people taking time to do this, especially the younger people. Really brings home what a great community we have here in Cork when I see those queues at city hall.

It means a lot to me personally to see the community response, as we have some family with congenital heart problems and other conditions. I know a lot of us have lost family or friends to this, and had our lives turned upside down. To see us all protecting each other is amazing.

Thanks to all who have gotten the vaccine, or are getting it soon. You are fantastic people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Rfrip

God that really got me in the heart....id begun to think i was getting so desensitised by it all

Happy and safe Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

The Salutem Clinic in Ballincollig are doing walk in boosters for over 16s at the moment just in case anyone was unaware. You can book some appointments with them too through their website. I was in with them today for less than a minute - they're super quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yep got it Tuesday! Was floored on Wednesday but definitely worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Positives everywhere in cork now , I know a lot of people with it here now :(

11,182 cases, highest for ROI, stay safe, take care, Merry Christmas all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Summitatem

Over 2m boosters administered nationwide... 3.6m are/were fully vaccinated.

It is indeed great to see the City Hall boosters being queued for... The enthusiasm in the vast majority of us to do our bit for the benefit of all is great to see and amazing.

What is Cork hospitals like @ACitizenErased

Rocdoc testing centre is bad enough. Had a test yesterday and after me a massive queue had formed (after 1:20.. my appointment time but I wasn't actually tested until 1:50) however my dad was after me and had to queue and his 1:40 test time turned into 2:30. I didn't mind though because it was Stephens day and only having one of the 7 check in desks was acceptable

Sister is currently there and the queue was nearly three times as big and has been queueing for 2 and a half hours now, and is only now nearly at the top (her appointment time was 4:20).

Again, one desk of the 7 open to check in? Don't give out the appointments if you are going to be waiting that long, test centres are back to full capacity today as well. Plenty of complaints online about it too. Lots of people also leaving the queues which isn't a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Summitatem

Given the highly contagious nature of the latest variant coupled with the sheer amount of confirmed cases I imagine we aren't far off test & trace being overran again. Thankfully the booster programme and hospital capacity are going great and are OK currently and respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Was this the drive in test area?

Was there a few weeks ago with a child. It was very flimsy and slow at that stage. Checking in took up most if the time. At that stage there was a queue for private tests and a queue for hse tests. Sounds like both were merged together?

As you said, it's not good that people go away because they're waiting so long. They shouldn't make appointments available if people can't get them in a timely manner.

Nope it's the one you book on the HSE site and then you have to park and queue in a queue. They do have 7 check in desks, they just don't have them open so it's one person checking in hundreds of appointments.

There is private and public tests, same queue for both but every so often the worker came around asking who was the private one and they skipped to the front and went into a different room

Seems like a private company just making the most of the HSE giving out money to me

Absolutely not flexibility with appointment times too which was half the problem, sure if you arrive at 1:10 for you 4:50 appointment that's a problem but I originally got to the door at 1:17 for my 1:20 appointment and was told to leave? Every other HSE appointment I've went too are very flexible with it and just keep on going if it's about 30 mins either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Wow, last time I was there it was queue in a car.

I much prefer the queue/be tested in a car system. The queuing with possible hoards of positives around me doesn't sit well in my head!

Yes, rocdoc are a private company. Sounds like they've turned greedy since they had about 4 booths for cars. Backfired greatly, but as usual, nothing being done, screwing the state without a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Bellie1

God yeah ,especially if 50% are positive and then queuing for a while Are any of the testing centres drive in?

• Advertisement

Advertisement