Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

List of non-safe neighborhoods in Dublin

Options
  • 26-12-2021 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Is there a list of non-safe areas in Dublin? Based on the number of crimes committed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Dalkey , fox rock, ballsbridge are pretty bad

not sure if your on about white collar crime though?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

No and wouldn't really be reflective, like most burglaries would be in well off areas as they have better stuff to steal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

If you have an estate or a road that you're looking at with a view to purchasing, if you enter the address into Google and charged or courts, you'll get a list of people from that road or area who have been before the courts and what they were charged with.

Obviously the less you find the better. Every estate has one or two mentions, but if you get numerous hits then you can draw your own conclusions.

Doesn't mean that those persons commit crime in their own area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Very few areas in dublin I would consider unsafe, maybe a very small fraction of Finglas and the back arse of Darndale are the only places I would consider relatively unsafe that I know of anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

No, but it tells you where they live. Assault, GBH, drug dealing and possession, breaking and entering. Would you like to live near people who habitually do this?

did you read the thread about living beside a criminal?

everybody lives beside a criminal or two.

Jobstown seems pretty rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's not much breaking and entering in areas where there are lots of assaults. The people from the bad places usually travel to the good places as they will get more for less risk.

Do you think that thieves aren't scouting out posh areas? You don't need to live in a bad area to suffer from anti social behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

There's very few if any places that are unsafe in Dublin. There are pockets of deprivation and neglect all over Dublin - individual estates and flats complexes really.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

West Dublin, North Dublin City & City Centre probably covers half the bad areas 😂…better question- where are the safe areas

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You might say working class areas, I think you can judge by price too, houses in middle class areas are much more expensive , you can look at a area on Google Street View, empty boarded up houses is a bad sign, lots of litter abandoned cars is a bad sign, lots of graffiti on walls is not good. Are look ar area X, adress, Ed Street name, crime on Google.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

What really constitutes a working class area anymore? There's former council houses in traditionally working class areas going for close to half a million now, partially because of the sheet desperation of buyers, but also because they're safe, settled areas.

The vast majority of "working class" areas are very safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Fair city in recent times

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭you2008

4get of Dublin - move to Kildare and you are sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Litter and graffiti are all you need to evaluate an area OP, if the locals dont respect their own neighbourhood, they sure as hell wont respect you.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Dublin 1 to Dublin 24 inclusive.

North County Dublin

South County Dublin

In all seriousness you could be broken into in any part of Dublin. I used to live in an affluent area for 3 and a half years. We were nearly broken into with a guy found climbing out a window. In the community there was non stop reports of theft.

My other half lived in an area that many people would not even drive through at 100kmph and they left their back door open during the day for their cats! The line was they never go after their own!

Dublin is a city that is ever changing and areas change from street to street even in a small local area. You can’t label a place safe or good or the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Burglars go where the money is middle class areas where people have 1000euro laptops iPhone 12 etc. I know an estate in finglas council estate it's quiet, I visit my friend there. all the houses are owned by the people who lived there as tenants or recent buyers, after 2000 dublin City Council sold off 95 per cent of the council houses to any tenant who wanted to buy one who could afford it dublin is a very diverse city its not realistic to say stay out of area X. One sign if you see 1 or cars in every driveway you are probably in a safe area. If you see a 2 bedroom house going for 150k you have to ask why is this house so cheap?

There must be a reason. Also drive by at 9pm is there groups of teens hanging around drinking not a good sign rubbish bags old furniture dumped windows boarded up empty houses is not a sign of a good area

The only 100 percent council areas are apartment blocks which the council will not sell off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭it takes 2 2 tango

Balbriggan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It used to be against the charter on here to make sweeping generalisations about areas, and with good reason too. Every "good" area has bad apples locally and imports them, and is very attractive to criminals. Every "bad area" has trouble of some sort but also some salt of the earth people.

So asking a question like this online is a waste of time. Visit the areas at different times of the day and night, ask local shopkeepers/Gardai, Google the area and "court" or "charged". All of these will be much more informative than sweeping generalisations like have been made by some posters here.

I lived in Dublin 4 for ten years and never once saw the likes of this:

https://youtu.be/Ta7HVgFgfRM

Some areas are significantly more prone to social disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I worked for a charity and used to bring gifts to peoples houses before Christmas as one of the more rewarding, but risky parts of the job. I have seen this go on in a few of these places. The kind of places where it took 4 up us to do the deliveries. 2 to stay in the van with the engine running and 2 to deliver the boxes to the houses.

The places ive seen similar scenes to the above video, some even with flames coming out of cars still being driven are. Cherry Orchard, Darndale, Finglas, The liberties and Coolock. Now ive been to a quiet a few bad areas but those ones were right out of GTA :) But whats funny is when you go into the houses and are speaking to the residents with the carnage going on outside, they dont even notice it. Its just normal to them. They think the place is lovely and peaceful.

While there are some areas in Dublin which would not be the most desirable, there is no way, under any type of description that Cherrywood is a 'bad area'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Apologies. You are correct. Though nearby Loughlinstown park is a total kip, my mention of Cherrywood was an auto correct brain fart. Meant to say Cherry Orchard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

By contrast, the better areas of Dublin practically draw themselves in a nice line on a map; places on the Southside along the dart line from Grand Canal Dock to Killiney and then inland to only a bit further west of the N11 (eg Milltown, Ranelagh, Clonskeagh, Foxrock).

People can of course pick out pockets of nice areas outside of this area but the advantage of any of the parts contained in my "best areas map" is that the places are themselves unanimously surrounded by other good areas which you don't always get when people say things like "Castleknock is nice" or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Cherry Orchard would be grand if it wasn’t for the prison, halting site, metadone clinic, silver granite pub and proximity to Ballyfermot…

other than that grand.

note that there are no cherry’s left in the orchard either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Or basically the entire green line of the Luas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭dublin49

the exact same logic works almost identically from Marino to Howth and around to Malahide.

Advertisement