Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda cx5 2017 2.2 diesel 2wd manual

• 27-12-2021 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Looking at buying one of these and seeing lots of good reports but a few mentions of some issues on some of the Mazda diesel engines, trying to do some due diligence before buying but the mixed reports are hard to verify. I believe there was a refresh in 2017 and most of the reports I can find are 2016 and earlier.

Been looking at the Hyundai Tuscon and Seat Ateca also, one requirement is the boot size to take a buggy and a Labrador so these 3 have the space. The CX-5 we are looking at is a nice spec and looks great too.

Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The fear is well founded.

There have been many posts on them here over the years and they have not improved by any measure.

Imho they are a failure of an engine design that will forever stain Mazda engineers good name.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Too many doubts for me, I don’t think they ever really fixed that engine, and the way they treated some of those that had catastrophic problems left a lot to be desired.

Skoda Karoq worth a look too if you’re looking at the Ateca, they’re the same car under the skin. A friend has a big dog and just got one, very happy with the space. They got the 1.0 TSI petrol.

A lot of Ateca/Karoq are basic/middle spec, hard enough to get a loaded one for sensible money.

if you’re looking at the Tucson, you might as well look at the Kia Sportage. They’re a nicer package in my opinion even though they’re basically the same thing as the Hyundai. Try and get the model with the panoramic roof (think it’s the EX?)

Nissan X-Trail worth a look too, it’s basically a bigger Qashqai. The interior design isn’t top-notch so it can feel a bit cheap in places, but there’s not a whole pile wrong with them and the 1.6 dci engine is surprisingly powerful too. Quite a few of them out there will be very well specced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Oh Jesus just get a Skoda Octavia and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Steer clear.Had to fix turbo last year.Found out one month ago head gasket is gone.

Gearbox is agricultural too

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kierskoe

Yeah I think i'm trying to convince myself and thats never a good sign. Will look at the Karoq, overlooked it so far. The Sportage was on the list too, herself had "a friend of a friend" who had costly problems even under warranty so we drifted away from that early on the hunt. Sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Rustyman101

Had two of them, never missed a beat in either, plenty poke enjoyed driving them tbh but the niggle about the engine design was always at the back of my mind, they can on occasion dump raw fuel into the sump diluting the oil and rasing the level with obvious consequences, if it wasn't for that would have bought another or a six lovely looking car !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have a look at the Ford Kuga too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The brother bought a 2013 CX-5 recently that has done over 200000kms I think. It is a fine car. Very refined and very quiet and he says its very good to drive too. The only thing is when he starts it it does this weird thing where it just revs up to 2000rpm by itself for at 20 seconds and then stops. He says its a 1.6 diesel. Maybe it is. I thought the smallest Mazda done were 2.0 litres engines. Maybe he is wrong on that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I heard the Mazda diesels are dirt.. skyactive system or whatever ya call it. If u are willing to look at estates , I believe the skoda , vw and merc e class estates are massive … if it’s an suv for sure , then biggest boots u gona find are in likes of q7 … I’m sure a Kodak be good too! I’m sure some of the hyaundai /Kia /Nissan offerings might have big boots too… not sure how reliable those cars are these days though??? Maybe others here in the know can answer that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Firblog

Looks like that is exactly what is happening with the OH's 2014 model, in shop at min

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There was no 1.6d engine in the CX-5, they were all 2.2d.

Ms

Yes that's what I thought 2.0litre and 2.2litre engines in them

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I was looking at buying a SUV during the summer. Ended up buying a 2012 Nissan Qashqai 1.6 diesel 4wd in the end. (Discounted a lot of the others because they were just too expensive for what you were getting, some yokes are very scarce too). Boot is maybe a bit small on the Qashqai for OP requirements, and you need the top spec for a bit of luxury, but a lovely driving car.

Whilst shopping around I noticed great deals going on CX-5's around the place. Didn't even look due to the horror stories of DPF problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Firblog

Well it's as bad as feared, quoted €7K to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Failed head gasket. No price for the work yet.

160,000 km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Casati

Can you get a second-hand engine for it instead? I'd hate to put 7k into an 8 year old car

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

They're all the same.

Personally, I'd walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Are you driving enough miles to justify diesel? I bought a 2015 Mazda 6 late last year. Don't need a diesel, but even at that read enough posts warning of potential issues with them, unreliability etc. to put me off considering one, if I was going for diesel. Granted, you could be fine with one but....

Advertisement