Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New transit - 40 weeks delivery estimate?

Options
  • 27-12-2021 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

I was hoping to buy a new 2022 Transit L4H3.

This is my first time to ever buy a new car. Ive always bought used in the past.

I went to order today and i was told it would take about 40 weeks until delivery. Can i check that this is normal? I had no idea that people order a car nearly a year in advance. It would be an order with some small customizations.

The price of used 2021 models seem to be pretty much the same as new. Is this because the semi conductor/chip shortage? / covid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You could try another dealer. Sometimes depending on demand there may be a quota of cars for Ireland and they are divided up x per dealer in staggered delivery periods. Another dealer may be getting a batch sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 postmahone

its a good way tom push up the price of second hand vans and cars ,had to settle for an old model myself ,so bite your lip and grab any good deal you can get ,it will take a bit of time to get a new van on order

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

We are not living in normal times. Because of Covid-19 manufacturing supply chains have been heavily disrupted due to lock downs, part shortages, etc. It's not just vans that are impacted either, cars are also impacted as well as other various products. Computer chips are in short supply too which are in practically everything we buy and use these days. This means long delivery times which in turn increases demand for second hand vehicles. This reduces the number of second hand vehicles on the market which in turn pushes up used prices. Throw in Brexit into the mix for imports and it's the perfect storm. Don't expect it to improve any time soon until we can leave the pandemic behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

All very true it seems.

I've decided to try the 3 other dealers n see what Stock vans they have but it certainly looks like I'll have to buy a used one.

Used for transits L4H3 or l4h2 seem to have about 130k km after 4 years. Quite alit of milage but I guess that's what they are purchased for.

I would only be doing about 8k myself yearly so that's years of usage in my profile.

Any tips. Advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

If you do decide to go used, buying a high mileage van shouldn’t be an issue if your only doing 8k a year. Drive it for a few years and it would probably become low mileage compared to other vans of the same year.

I’d be more concerned about DPF problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

An L4 Transit wouldn't be a big seller, so they are generally factory orders. 40 weeks for a Ford van order seems about right to me, if they are allowing one to be ordered.

There are L3H2's available early next year as they are a decent seller, and there's a few Transit Custom models available from stock, but forget about any other Transit models for next year. The factory aren't accepting any orders for Transit Connects or Couriers.

You'd get a Crafter in Q2/Q3 next year bases on my last conversation with my VW Commercial supplier. You'll pay over the odds compared to a Ford though.

In the current market, you could buy a van now, order a Transit for January 2023 delivery and there's a good chance you'll either lose nothing or even sell for more than you paid, in Jan 2023...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Does it have to be a transit?

Would you consider Nissan/Renault?

At 40 weeks, you might as well wait 53 weeks and have a 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MAN TGE would be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

So i found a nice van for myself after these comments. Used, 2019, 75k km, 24,500 euros.

Dealer has got consistently pretty high reviews. Infact its the only dealer where im at that seemed to have customer saying good service rather than sales great, after service bad. They only sell Vans, and do all the work on the lot, where they have a pretty large working factory.

About 10k cheaper than new which seems reasonable. Sure as one poster said, with the rate the things, it may not decrease in value much at all in the next year and i might order new.

I'm doing a camper van conversion, and good spec models seem to retain value pretty well.

Thanks for the feedback folks

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you’re doing a camper conversion, a Ducato/Relay/Boxer is the go-to van for campers for various reasons. There’s a refreshed model now too.

(Theres also an Opel Movano version of them too, because they’re part of Stellantis)

Here’s the one myself and my friend recently built

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057982003/fiat-ducato-camper-build#latest

• Advertisement
Advertisement