Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asian immigrant condemns Irish gay society in British press as systemically racist

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Our government funds the likes of Irish Human Rights & Equality Commission too, who use our money to advertise videos on Twitter, about how racist the Irish are. We're literally forced by law to pay to be abused in this ridiculous country.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Thanks for the insider view, so to speak. What’s your rationale for suggesting that gay couples are more likely to be interracial? Is it because gay people are such a small minority (2%-3%), that they don’t have the luxury of being as discerning as say heterosexual women?

Re-reading the article, I see that he was also whining about members of the LGBT running group, of which he is a member. Apparently, they shunned him when they crossed paths in gay venues. Pradeep attributes this to them being ashamed to be seen interacting with non-white people in public. Reading between the lines, it’s likely that they simply see him as a head melt and didn’t want to be around him any more than is absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

I think gay people genuinely see race as less of an issue than the heteronormative population, hence more mixed race couples 💑.

• Advertisement

In my view, the general distribution of attitudes towards race across the general population, likely hold true for the gay community. The only thing that differentiates gay people from the majority population is same sex attraction. There is no intrinsic reason why Irish gay people are uniquely well disposed to those of other races.

That’s why it makes zero sense for this NGO to specifically target the gay community. The broader attitudes (positive & negative) towards race that prevail in Ireland are almost certainly replicated in the gay community. If this NGO believes that there is an issue with racism in this country, they should be targeting the entire society and not narrowing their aperture to the tiny subset comprised by the gay community.

You are human.And have rights too you know. That's why they exist.

Maybe you should look up their.website and see.What they do 🙄

I think the gay community are more open minded then the general public, so maybe that's why there are more interracial couples (that's a big generalisation obviously)

Firstly, there’s no data confirming that the prevalence of interracial relationships is higher in the gay community. As JupiterKid pointed out, this may emerge in the 2022 census. Until this information is released, this statement is based on precisely nothing.

You’re the second person to claim that gay people are uniquely open minded and well disposed to other races. What’s this assertion based on? Your feelings?

Anecdotal evidence amongst my peers? God no need to be so narky about it.

The LGBT community is a minority who have been disenfranchised historically, thus would be less likely to disenfranchise a minority within a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

some people like short people, some like tall, some like chubby people, some like people of a different colour. such is the way of the world. if all you are interested in is sex then deal with it.

• Advertisement

I’m not being narky. I’m probing your argument to learn more. Call it intellectual curiosity.

So your hypothesis is that historically disenfranchised minorities are less likely to be discriminatory due to their own experiences, right?

Following that line of argument the travelling community and the Muslim population should feel a sense of solidarity with and display an attitude of egalitarianism towards the gay community. The common experience of being disenfranchised negates any tendency to discriminate?

Perhaps not..

Your argument is basically whataboutery....

Basically I don't think there is a particular problem with racism in the LGBT community, anecdotally I have no straight mates in mixed raced relationships, but a fair few gay mates who are. If you want to commission a longitudinal study to check this, you are more than welcome.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Nailed it. 👍👍👍 This is exactly why such an initiative is both an insult and a waste of taxpayer’s hard earned money. I’d love to know how many “initiatives” by NGOs and, govt agencies and Quangos are providing solid results - and value for money.

That said, I do think Irish LGBT people are generally more open minded to mixed race relationships as being a minority that has also faced discrimination and oppression in the past as people of other races.

Thanks Jupiter, 100% agree on the motives of this NGO.

Like I said to that other poster, I’m not sure I totally buy into statement that LGBT people are more open to mixed race relationships. My job is a data scientist and I only tend to trust hard numbers. I’m not fully convinced by anecdotes about somebody’s ‘mates’. Having said that, I’m not plugged into the gay community and trust your instincts as an always thoughtful and rational poster. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So you have an issue with the thread title which is factually correct.

Your complaints are about the thread, but you said noting on the issue itself. Odd.

Dare I suggest that your comments are really motivated by agreeing with the NGO campaign, but your're too afraid to say it so you just criticize the thread as 'clickbaity' instead.

FYI, I'm livid about this. This is me Padreep and the NGO are criticizing. How on earth do you expect me to just ignore it. How about if the campaign was targeted at you, what would you do then?

What I sense from some people on this issue, including yourself, is 'well if it's about anti-racism' then that's a good thing, one mustn't make a fuss'.

NO

I am going to make a fuss because I'm not going to tolerate this nonsense, and if that's not okay with you, tough.

Advertisement