Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on petrol vs Diesel

• 27-12-2021 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am currently looking for new second hand car. Currently driving a 05 petrol Fiesta that is requiring too much work done so not worth holding onto it.

Mainly looking at Skoda Octavias and Ford Focus. Budget up to 14k or so.

My style of driving suits a petrol car as I live in the city and mainly do short trips. Maybe once a month a drive one 3 hour return trip to my home county. But other than that it’s all short trips.

Problem is there’s a huge amount of diesel cars available in my location but very few petrol. I want a family member to look at the car with me before buying as I haven’t a clue, so sticking with cars close to my location. I’ve been told by a few people not to limit myself to petrol but I think it makes little sense for me to get a diesel? Or would it be ok? Electric out of the question as I park on a public road so can’t change. Plus out of my budget. Also what’s going on with car prices?!

Any advice welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would say that in your budget you’re looking at fairly modern cars, a diesel would be a bonkers decision.

petrol or petrol hybrid would be what I’d be looking at

An Auris hybrid would be a good choice. You’d probably get a 2014 or 2015 close to budget.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars/Toyota/Auris/Hybrid?price_to=16000&year_from=2013&price_from=9000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭yagan

Look out for Jap imports as they can be very competitively priced for what you get compared to used Irish cars. There's a good few dealers upping their stock of them.

I was looking recently and would have opted for one but we really only needed a petrol car until we're settled in our place which we can charge an electric in.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It sounds like you have no proper use for a diesel.

But I'd rather shop further a field for the right car than buy the wrong type of car just for the sake of buying local.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

There are a good selection of 1.0 Petrol Focus’ for sale around the country on Carzone.ie at the moment. Your budget would stretch to a 2015/16 car. As posted above, I wouldn’t restrict my buying options to just local.

Most garages will send you a video presentation of the car and it’s service history of you find a car that interests you. Get a proper Cartell or AA check on it, then you’d only have to make the trip if you genuinely want to buy it.

If your thinking of a Focus 1.0 litre Ecoboost then look towards the facelifted model as the early 1.0 litre Ecoboost engines were iffy around reliability especially around overheating. For 14k you should be able to get a 2016 facelift model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭User1998

Focus or Fiesta Ecoboost would be a good shout. As above it needs to have the newer engine fitted.

Theres also a few petrol Golfs to choose from but they can be pricey especially if automatic.

Lots of Japanese import hybrids to choose from as well. Honda Fit/Insight, Toyota Prius etc. All very nice cars for city driving

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Thanks for the replies. Diesel out so! Like I thought. Both my Mam and brother have the 1 litre focus and they are great but I’m a little worried they might be a bit small as we’ve a toddler and hopefully having another baby soon. Car seats etc take up lots of space. But going to see how the toddlers seat fits in my Mams car. That’s why I’m thinking Octavia. Will keep an eye out. Any other suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

There's a Golf Estate that should fit your needs: https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/fpa/202105142627914

However yes, an Octavia is always a sensible choice.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Octavia/fpa/202112050238511

I'm biased, not gonna lie. I've driven three Octavias and I'm currently driving a Superb.

I've also driven an Ecoboost Focus (the 99 bhp version).

Being biased, I preferred my 2015 Octavia, though I liked the Focus.

Is there a clincher argument for one over the other? The Octavia has a colossal amount of boot space for a car of its size and price. It really is an ideal car if you have a couple of young kids - try to get one with the Ambition or Elegance spec if you can. That VW Golf Estate suggested above might also suit (it and the Octavia both built on the same platform).

That you. This is the advice I’ve got from others too. It’ll be nice to have a boot that doesn’t need to be packed like a game of Tetris!

2016 Octavia for sale with 141k km on the clock, is that just mental? It’s relatively cheap but that’s obviously why.

• Advertisement

Why do you think it's mental?

141k km is 87k miles which is not in any way mental on a 6 year old car. Cars don't implode or expire when they reach 100k km.

Thanks Bazz. I didn’t think it was too bad but just going by what others have said to me. You know the way some people are when it comes to mileage.

I think it's built into the Irish mindset that anything over 100k whether miles or km is end of life. How the car was maintained and service history up to this point are the important facts.

Is that on sale in the south-west? If you could push the budget a bit there's also one in the west with slightly less than 100,000 on the clock and a bit more welly in the engine. There are also a couple of other options advertised out there on the usual sites which look to be better cars either at the same or a slightly higher price.

Yeah it’s in Kerry.

I live in Cork city but from Kerry so down there a lot. Although avoiding the place now as so many I know have Covid. There’s a few in Cork I’m going to have a look at. Thank you!

Advertisement