Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2 Clubs + Putter Challenge

• 26-12-2021 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

We have our annual 2 clubs and a putter challenge tomorrow. Debating what I should choose! We've a classic tree lined parkland course, not long but very tight off the tee. Thinking of taking a 3 hybrid and a 9 iron. Worried about around the greens as I normally use my 54deg for most short game shots. My first time playing this format so any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Sounds like a great craic. I haven't played this format before but off the top of my head for me i would be looking at my most consistent wood/hybrid and most consistent iron/wedge, giving up distance.

Im thinking the consistency will help keep it in play off the tee and avoid green side bunkers on approach. So, you will be on the dance floor if its in range for your consitant iron/wedge or leave you with a texas wedge if you are short.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Do you have to bring a putter?

If not, putt with your hybrid, bring a mid iron and wedge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Yup, putter is mandatory plus 2 other clubs. If I had my way I'd bring a hybrid, 7i & SW and I think I'd do fine with those. Going to try hybrid and 9i and see how I fair out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

A lot depends on the course your playing.

I chose a 3W & 8i as it suited me and the 9 holes of the course I was playing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

@almostover what's the betting you'll beat your handicap? Or be very close to it. Do let us know.

• Advertisement

That's where I'm stuck, with the winter tees the 4 par 3s will be of similar distance. About a 7i for me but our small greens aren't the most suitable for bump and runs. Reckon I can hood off a 9i to fly 7i distance but it'll be more versatile around the greens for me. That's the theory anyway!

I will! It's a 12 hole comp, with the way our course is laid out the third green is by the 10th tee so 1st three holes plus back 9. Four par 3s, Six par 4s and two par 5s. I'm off 9 but have played only once since the start of October so not expecting much. We get 2/3rds handicap so I'm off 6. My plan to shoot handicap is pars for the par 3s and 5s plus 6 bogeys on the par 4s. I've picked the 2 clubs that'll suit most on the par 3s and 5s.

Was an enjoyable morning, having less clubs really takes the decision making out of it. I had 20 pts for the 12 holes, I inexplicably hit 2 drives OB and scratched those 2 holes. Outside of that it was fine. 1 birdie, 3 pars, 5 bogies, 1 double and 2 scratches. The double was a woeful 3 putt too. Learned a lesson anyway that I need to use less loft around the greens in general. I got on fine with the 9 iron. Even using it to pitch from 50-60 yards was fine.

I'm convinced at this stage that 9 clubs would do me and I'd maintain or improve my handicap anyway. Driver, a 4 or 5 wood, a 4i hybrid, 6i, 8i, pw, gw, sw, putter. You could have the best stuff too as the cost would be lower to only have 9 clubs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Interesting round so, FWIW I would have gone driver and 9iron

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

That's a good combo too, especially if you're accurate off the tee. On our course with the 12 hole circuit you'd be there or there abouts with a driver an 9i on most par 4s, maybe 50yds short at worst. You'd reach the two par 5s on the 12 hole circuit with a driver and two 9is also. Food for thought for next year!

• Advertisement

Most holes will be par 4’s so a club that could get you on or beside the green in 2 would be useful. 3 or 4 hybrid or 7 wood. Maybe a driving iron too if you are good with that.

Then 9 or PW. Not a lot of difference in distance between those but the PW might be better option round greens.

Edit: sorry I see I’m late to the thread round over now.

Advertisement