Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Feliz Navidad Mi Amor!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Happy Christmas to all the TBL family, you'll get there with the running and the Spanish, you're a stubborn old fecker!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Nollaig shona

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

He is also the Saint of those who desire a saintly death, very apt for injury prone runners! I'm only catching up on your log now TBL entertaining as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

A decent week all round and hopefully I can kick on from here. Hoping to do a 5k on NY’s day and I’ll have a crack at sub 20 just to see where I’m at!

Woke up on Thursday night with a sore eye, thought I’d a lash stuck in it. Couldn’t sleep with it but tackling a sore eye with Shrek like fingers in the middle of the night wasn’t the worlds greatest idea! Woke up in the morning and it was way worse, had an red eye like a Terminator and it was itching like a mosquito bite 😳

Mrs TbL fancies herself as a bit of a Connemara Shaman and was telling me to wash it out with some mad concoction and put a periwinkle on it or something like that as I’d already tuned out and told her thanks but if it was all the same with her, I’d go with some professional advice! The optician told me my tear duct had dried up (must have eventually gotten used to Tang moving abroad 😆) and a hot compress would sort it!

Friday: 4 mile easy plod after a mad dash into town for a last minute unexpected Santa pressie. While having breakfast in the local caf with the little lad he mentioned that he really hoped he’d be getting a certain present. “But it wasn’t on your list” I said with a sense of rising panic. “I know, but I really think I’ll get it”! Ah ffs!!! Never ate an omelette as fast, quaffed off the coffee, dropped him home and headed into town under the guise of a last minute work issue. Rang ahead to a couple of shops and found what I was looking for but he was closing at 2pm. Thank god for once the Galway traffic was light, most people must have been in early doors! 

Sat: Nice and easy 5k plod before putting on my all you can eat pants😎

Sun: no long run last week and given the week before I’d done 14 miles I was hoping to do at least 15 miles today. Wasn’t feeling the love as I didn’t get up till after noon but my daughter said she’d join me for the first few miles so headed out after a brunch. Did the first 4.5 miles nice and easy with her and then headed off on my own. Missed most of the rain and I felt ok, and towards the end of the run I decided I felt I’d manage another mile or two. Got 17 miles done and don’t feel too bad. 😃

TbL

• Advertisement

Fallen behind with updates but there’s not a whole lot to see but I’m still tipping along.

I’m going to try and run a marathon in April, I’d one pencilled in for the end of March but a work event has put paid to that. I’ve also entered the Brighton marathon but I don’t think I’ll do that one! (Has anyone done it and what was it like)?

Also trying to drop a few pounds that I picked up over the Christmas!

Plans for the year:

-Do a test/pilot marathon to see can I handle it

-attempt an sub 18.30 5k

-attempt a sub 1.25 half.

I’d probably take more pleasure from the sub 18.30 because I never thought I’d run sub 19 in a million years and it’s harder to race fast 5k’s as you get older 🤣

27th Dec: 4 miles @ 9.28 accompanied by my daughter on her bike.

28th: 10k @ 7.52, did this with a work buddy and it turned into a decent progression run after a slow start 

29th: 5k @ 9.04

30th: as above

31st: 5m @ 8.50, ran every day for 2021!

1st: 5k race. Resolution Run. Was in two minds whether to do this or not, I’d walked the dog earlier in the morning and it was very very windy. I’d hoped to be able to break 20 mins and didn’t fancy it in that wind, nearly canned it in favour of a LR but decided to head in a give it a lash. This race starts and finishes at the “Swamp” in the Claddagh and there was a decent enough crowd out to support it. I’d usually see MartyBoy formerly from these parts at this race but he must have finally retired as he was nowhere to be seen. I must be getting older as I’d usually know a few heads at most races but this time I’d to be satisfied with my own company and grumbling to myself about the wind. 

They were handing out the race numbers from a van and I joined the queue to get mine. The volunteer obviously didn’t appreciate Bogger humour and wasn’t an athletics fan: him “Next”, me “howya”, him “name”, me “Kipchogue” with my cheeky chappy grin, him, turning to his box of envelopes and repeating to himself “Kipchogue”, me, Jesus “ah no it “Lemon”, him, “ffs, Kipchogue” as he fires my envelope at me. As I turned the lad behind me said nothing but his expression said, “tool” 🤣

Did a bit of a warm up and started to feel a bit apprehensive as this was my first race since the summer and the first real faster stuff since my last back flare up. Lined up in the middle of the crowd and we got going. Was a bit of a mess at the start and I’m always careful not to get clipped at the start of races and I was really pissed off when not one but two club runners ran straight across me the second one almost resulting in me falling. Regained my composure and passed the club runners with my best auld man scowl about a k up the road. I was surprised by how well I was going at this stage but I was afraid I’d blow. First mile done 6.07, we turned onto the docks and the reason I’d be going so well quickly became apparent, the wind that hit me almost blew me across the road and the pace dropped significantly. Mile two came in at 6.21 and this gave me some heart that if I could just maintain it I’d break 20 mins. Was picking off runners now but the effort level was rising, mile 3 6.14. I’d still a bit in the tank and was able to do the last bit in 5.32 pace. Finished in 19.28. Very happy with that effort and finished first O50 despite not seeing 50 in years (the faster auld lads obviously didn’t fancy the conditions) 

2nd Jan: 5k @ 9.27

3rd: 5m @ 8.42

4th: 5k @ 9.32

5th: 7m @ 9.15 first few miles with my daughter

6th: 5k @ 9.48

7th: 8m with 5 @ MP. Find these sessions tough and my current mP is nowhere near 6.50 but I’m hoping I can get the fitness to where it needs to be. Did an out and back run, found sections of this tough especially towards the end but all things considered I was happy with this: 6.48,6.46,6.48,6.49 & 6.50.

8th: 3.5m @ 9.43

9th: 20m @ 8.56. Longest run in years and very happy with the way this went, did first 4 miles very easy with my daughter and then continued on on my own. Lots of miles around the 8.30 pace and I was very happy that the back held up.

10th: was sure today was going to be the day my running streak ended, as I was heading to Fiss, in Austria for a few days skiing. Got up at 3.30am to walk the dog and then got a very easy 5k done with a head torch. 

11-15th: Got to the hotel Monday evening and asked them where I could run in the morning, was told the gym opened at 7. When I told him I wanted to run outside I could see he wanted to burst out laughing! Went out later that evening in the freezing cold for a recce, hotel was on the mountain side and the roads down were slippery but passable. Got up every morning before 7 and managed a gentle 5k around an Alpine village but got some seriously funny looks from delivery drivers and some early risers. Although I ski like I run, ugly, I managed to get 3/4 hours savage skiing in every day. 

Need to try and get some consistency going.

TbL 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Man runs every day for a year. Same man says he needs to get some consistency going! 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice 5k sir, missed that on Strava. Those club runners gave you the motivation to lay down a good first mile, excellent time in the end. Prize?

Struggling to update here.

And I’m ageing like unrefrigerated milk 😳

I was supposed to retire at the end of 2021 and focus on becoming a professional athlete 🤣 but I’ve to do another year 😳 Lots of travel that plays havoc with my back and doesn’t agree with me anymore. When I was younger I loved all the travel now (especially with Covid bureaucracy) it’s just a royal pain in the arse. I rather be encamped in Connemara!

I’m trying to build up to 2 sessions a week and a longer run with the other 4 days just being super slow but at the moment the body can only handle one session and a longer run.

I’d initially hoped to try and run a fast marathon in April but that’s not really feasible now but I also don’t want to wait till the Autumn. It’s a stretch but I might give Limerick a rattle as I’ve PB’d there a couple of times.

16th. Back from skiing. 3.4 miles @ 10.12 with my daughter 

17th: 4m @ 9.15 was warm out!

18th: 3.2m @ 9.41, body was stiff, skiing exuberance catching up with auld man bod.

19th: 7m progression over Seanadhpheistin with a work buddy. Love this road for running, but don’t get a chance to get up there as often as I used. 

20th: 6m @ 8.19 bit faster than I was expecting 

21st: 8.3m including 8 x 0.5 miles hard off 0.25 easy. Very very disappointing session, struggled @ 6.30 pace and the wheels really came off on the last one. Real back to ground with a bang session.

22nd: Mrs TbL shamed me out to power wash the deck that had accumulated so much green sh1t and moss that it looked like astro turf! Spent nearly 7 hours at it and was in the foulest of humour heading out for a plod in the dark. 3.2 miles @ 9.53

23rd: was bringing my son into watch a BB game in Galway and got a decent 13.2m done @ 7.42 although I was a little disappointed by how tired I felt after it.

24th: 3.2 @ 9.13

25th: over to UK for work, 3.2m run to the barbers and 3.1m streamlined run back afterwards. Hate having my haircut by anyone other than my own stoic barber! Pleasantries and small talk aren’t my thing especially when a barber of unknown provenance is tidying up your beard with a cut throat 🔪

26th: 3.2m @ 9.03, staying near Wendover and got a nice run up along the river. Jumped onto trains in a frantic bid to get up to Coventry for a Stoke game. Hadn’t a proper coat, was frozen miserable and the game was sh1t and to compound it I missed the train back down to Maidenhead and had to get an Uber 😳

27th: 3.7m @ 9.30, moved to a lovely boutique hotel/pub and managed to get a chilly few miles in before dinner 

28th: 3.2m @ 8.54 before more train hopping to get up to Huddersfield for another Stoke game. Bought a coat and hat! Stopped off in a nice little restaurant for something to eat and thought I was absolutely gas, when I was sitting the waitress asked me if I’d any allergies, I looked solemn and replied “yes, a serious one, my wife”, quick as a flash she roasted me, “no wonder you’re eating alone” Touché 🤣🤣🤣 There was a bit of aggro at the match and we were delayed getting out, so it was late when I got back to the hotel and I decided not to get up early next morning for a plod.

29th: a day to forget. Flight from Leeds to Dublin was canceled due to high winds and they bussed us to Liverpool on what must have been the 7 Dwarfs bus, so little leg room was there. I was definitely Grumpy getting off! My back was on fire and after a 6 hour delay getting to Dublin the last thing I wanted to do was run, but I did a superman change in the car and 3.2 grumbling miles @ 9.01.

30th: didn’t feel well, canned the planned LR and instead did a 3.2 mile plod with my 11 year old who never stopped talking 😀

31st: 3.2m @ 10.20, ran this after the physioterrorist and the back was in bits.

1st: 8.8m including 7m @ MP. Was heading to Paris and was doing everything imaginable to talk myself out of this but in the end I was happy to get it done. MP miles came in at 6.53, 6.52, 6.50, 6.53, 6.47, 6.52 @ 6.47. Groin tightened up after the drive to the airport 

2nd: 4.15m @ 9.35 in one of my least favorite cities, Paris. It a desperate dirty dump full of rude arrogant French people 🤣

3rd: I asked the concierge was there any parks nearby where I could run. He said there was one nearby but, and I quote “it’s full of Brazil transsexuals”! I looked at him unsure if this was a warning or a recommendation and decided to give the park a miss 😳 3.5m plod with a sore back as a result of too much sitting.

4th: flew into Alicante on business last night. Really nice and warm, did 4m @ 8.40. Couldn’t believe there were people running in tights hats and gloves!

Travel making it hard to stay consistent and get sessions in but I’ll keep doing it my own way for another couple of weeks before probably looking for a plan.

TbL 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I came home last weekend, got everything waxed before I left then traveled to Ros A Mhil & you stood me up……….

@OOnegative blame Ryanair, I’d even bought you a present, those blood red backless chaps you liked. I’ll have to wear them myself now 🤣

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

When did it enter your head to run a marathon this morning!? 🤔😁

I’ve so many marathons entered it’s hard to keep up 🤣

Had decided to skip this and do one around a racing car track in UK instead but was in France with work and got a spur of the moment last minute flight to Alicante and over to Murcia!

Used it as a test/pilot to see I can still run the distance. Plan was to just get around but mid way through plan got upgraded to run 8 min miles 🤣

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I'd say that's probably the first thought on his mind every morning when he wakes up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

That's nuts but love the spontaneity . Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

And here is me trying to organise an easy five miler in local park with military precision and failing yet a sneaky international marathon on a whim.

the international man of mystery moniker is definitely apt. Fair play splits are very consistent man and box ticked which must be a good confidence booster given injury woes.

5th: nice easy 4m run in the warmth @ 9.22.

I love Spain, up there with my favorite countries, they have have great facilities for their communities, the weather is great and the food is excellent. When I finish up with work I’ll spend a couple of months a year over here but I seriously need to make more inroads on the language (save me from ordering porcupine for dinner 😑)

6th: Murcia marathon. Only decided to do this towards the end of last week. Was in Paris with work and booked a late flight from Orly to Alicante. Poor planning meant I’d to get a taxi from Alicante to Murcia and booked one of the hotels mentioned on the marathon web site. I’d been to Murcia years ago for the marathon during my “thickness” approach to trying to crack the sub 3 and I vividly remember the heat and me passing my hotel around mile 18/19 and just stepping off the course and into the hotel. 

I just wanted to see that I could actually get around a marathon course again. Picked up my number at the “expo” (it was very very small) on Friday with no dramas and strolled around in shorts and t shirt looking for somewhere decent to eat al fresco. Did a core and stretching session in the hotel gym after Saturdays run and then spent the day just wandering around drinking coffee and chilling. I didn’t have Ronseal with me this time so getting some Vaseline in the chemist wasn’t half as fun 🤣

The event itself incorporated a 10k and a HM, and after a breakfast of bacon and eggs I strolled up the short distance from the hotel to the starting area. Great buzz about with 1000’s of runners milling around. Saw the 3.30 pacer but that wasn’t in my plan and I started a good bit behind them as my first priority was to finish in one piece. Spanish marathons are fantastic but the weather can be a total lottery. We were lucky that it had rained heavily overnight and the temp at the start was only 13*. On Friday the temperature hit 24* and I couldn’t handle running in that. Really really well organised event and we set off on time. It’s a very flat course but not all that scenic as it’s mainly run on dual carriageways but the organisers traffic management was superb with the army and police ensuring no vehicles encroached on any part of the course. The one downside was the painted road markings were extremely slippery due to the overnight rain and there was a section of about 150m that was run over marble tiles that were like running on an ice rink. 

Water, isotonic and fruits every 5k. The first half was extremely enjoyable with loads of HM and 10k runners out on the course. Plenty of music and one or two bands coupled with decent crowd support in certain areas made for a pleasant experience. The course set up meant that at times you could see the leaders on the other side of the road and I gave a shout out to a lad in a Raheny shirt that seemed to be going well. A lad from Cork won the 10k. The 3.30 pacers were well ahead of me and I lost sight of them a couple of times. 

Got a big shout out from the announcer at half way, think I hit it a little under 1.45. I was feeling good at this stage and started to think about trying to reel in the 3.30 pacers. The course was 2 loops and now that the HM’s were mainly gone the route got very quiet with only a handful of runners to focus on. I noticed on a long stretch of road that I could now see the pacers and they appeared to have shed most of their crew. Started chucking in a few faster miles and slowly reeled them in. Think I did close to a 7.30 mile at mile 19 to catch them (which in hindsight was probably stupid, wasn’t the first and won’t be the last stupid thing I do). They had only 2 runners (for 3 pacers) left at this stage and I pushed a little ahead. 

Was feeling ok until about mile 23 when I started to feel a bit uncomfortable, mile 23 was over 8 mins, I managed to regroup for mile 24 for a sub 8 mile but the last 2 miles were very tough. Mile 25, 8.17, and I was completely disheartened when the pacers passed me again with only one runner in tow. Last mile was very tough mentally and physically and came in at 8.26, however I realised through the pain that the 3.30 pacer had started well ahead of me and I might make the sub 3.30 so I tried to muster up a feeble sprint for the last bit (8.08). Crossed the line in 3.28:xx (the pacers were obviously quick). 

Really enjoyable event and I’m delighted I did it, the one takeaway I have though is that realistically I’m miles away from a sub 3 anytime soon. Couldn’t see myself knocking over a min a mile off that time in the next few months. 

7th: 4m easy plod on sore quads before going to Alicante to get a 5 hour train to Barcelona.

TbL 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well, if you don't do a sub-3, you could always have a career as a Spanish marathon pacer. 😉

As Laineyfrecks said, you're a mad f*cker! I would never have doubted you can go the distance - the big question is, how to make all the pieces fit.

Good man, sounds like a nice couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Bad enough one pacer being a bit hot. But there were 3 of them in on it. Great effort. Running a marathon on a whim 😎 I think that makes you a tad madder than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

"I didn’t have Ronseal with me this time so getting some Vaseline in the chemist wasn’t half as fun 🤣"

Love that - what a memory.

This is mad - you ran a marathon - a sub 3:30 one too.

I went back on your Strava - you've a 13 miler and a 20m back on Jan 9th (longest run in 5 years!)

17m was your longest run in 2021 (December)

That's a very early contender for 'Performance of the Year' - or 'Don't do this at home, kids'

Great performance - shows you've got buckets of endurance in that body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Milling around the start of Limerick Marathon this morning who did I happen to bump into but the lead role of this Log.

He was hoping to do 3:30 meet serval times on the course and passed finally him as he was sprinting like a duck over the bridge @ mile 26. 3:20 on my watch so he smashed the 3:30 target. Hopefully he updates later with a tale or two or three.

Well done C

Thanks G,

great to meet so many of the old crew today.

you were going well yourself (especially so soon after a bout of Covid) 👍

I enjoyed that so much I’m going to jump back into some of the MCI runs

Tbl

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

The man men want to be❤

That’s the last selfie you’re getting off me 🤣

Hope you get that knee sorted soon 👍

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done TBL.

An bit of a report/update wouldn't go astray 😊

Thought I’d dip my toe in here to try and keep myself accountable.

Thoughts of a sub 3 have long since disappeared with my injuries but I want to go sub 20 min for 5k in next few months and I’ve also entered Limerick marathon, hoping to make it to the start line.

Currently battling weight, shocking fitness and an unpredictable back. :)

Did a 13.1 mile run today @ 8.23 pace and was very happy with that especially as the second half was all into a stiff wind.

Lets see if I can last a month…

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I might get to finally meet the man, the myth, the legend that is TbL 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Ah welcome back😊hope it all goes well for you!

Advertisement