Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asian immigrant condemns Irish gay society in British press as systemically racist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

Yeah Ive met a fair few men haters over the years myself. Me mammy says Im well handsome and all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Probably many but they're all racist so it doesn't count

This guy has just run into any nation's inherent tendency to be cliquey, and the typical Irish cynicism of anyone who dates an Asian person, and it's exacerbated by trying to make a community largely based around sexuality and dating his main community.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

Yes but do you think the gays are being unfairly singled out?

Why is this guy 'platformed' so much? The Proud AF campaign he's involved in is government funded. The government are promoting this stuff. Yet everyone is focusing on Pradeep's opinion, an opinion he probably didn't even form on his own.

The quote about “I realised long back that whiteness is the currency that holds a considerable advantage." he probably realized that after reading the work of Emily Drew, (Whiteness as Currency: Rethinking the Exchange Rate) in the book 'Living with Class: Philosophical Reflections on Identity and Material Culture' or at least someone who had read that book relayed this information to him. Nearly every other quote in that article was repeating some sort of intersectional mantra.

The Proud AF campaign even admit to what they are doing:

Genuinely empowering people of queer colour and queer Travellers means:

platforming their presence

creating and promoting safe spaces

listening to their experiences

sharing knowledge and creating cultural competence 

not regarding these individuals as secondary to the rest of the community

actively involving them in community groups

respecting cultural and lived differences.

To empower these people they need to "share the knowledge, create cultural competance and platform". To me this sounds like "use as a puppet doll". https://gayproject.ie/special-projects/proud-af/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Maybe this is his pitch for funding to do just that...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If you are not called racist, a fascist or a Nazi every so often these days you are probably a truly awful shallow narcissistic sociopath

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The chap in question really isn't helping himself with that awful moustache of his. Bloody hell 😳

The quote about “I realised long back that whiteness is the currency that holds a considerable advantage." he probably realized that after reading the work of Emily Drew, (Whiteness as Currency: Rethinking the Exchange Rate) in the book 'Living with Class: Philosophical Reflections on Identity and Material Culture' or at least someone who had read that book relayed this information to him. Nearly every other quote in that article was repeating some sort of intersectional mantra.

Well, to be fair, anyone who has spent any amount of time in Asia will know this to be true, and while it's declined considerably over the last decade, in the past, White people are/were elevated beyond everyone else, in many situations. However, that elevation came from Asian people themselves. So, in many cases, there was an unfair advantage for white people (and foreigners to a less extent), but it wasn't coming/created by White people. Most Asians would be aware of this... and you'd easily find many Asian guys bitter over the elevated place that White guys have in meeting women (the same exists for White women, but Asian women don't seem to be all that bothered by it)

I see this article as being a screaming tantrum about how unfair the world is, and deciding to blame one or two sections for it.. because it's convenient to do so. Its the dismissing of personal responsibility for his own choices, behavior, etc, and instead passing the buck on to others. Haven't read the book you referred to, but I suspect it's more of the same. In order to play the victim, there has to be the bully out there, whether it's real or imagined.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Funnily enough all of the mixed race couples I know are Irish men with a foreign wife bar 1. Never foreign men.

• Advertisement

Whereas the few mixed race couples I know are all Black guys (African or foreign Westerners) with Irish women. The only mixed couples I know with Irish guys are with Asian women, or with Eastern Europeans. Don't know any gay couples anymore in Ireland, all those I know are single/dating.

Yes. I think it has fek all to do with the gay community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Hamachi

This guy doesn’t particularly bother me. There may even be a kernel of truth in some of his complaints. As others have suggested, he is perhaps encountering the innately cliquey nature of some Irish people.

What irritates me most is the waste of resources here. I work damn hard all year and pay a fortune in taxes. I’m sure that many others posters on this thread are the same. It’s infuriating seeing my (and your) taxes being spent funding this NGO, providing a mouthpiece for such a frivolous issue.

Surely, this money would be better spent on heath care, education, or infrastructure. How dare our so called leaders misuse the fruits of our labor to propagate this horseshit. I really wish that there was some accountability enforced on these NGOs to ensure that they are providing legitimate value-add to Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

I can remember this thread coming up in the LGBT forum, and my point still stands (as a gay man), gay men are often shallow, but I wouldn't say its fair that they would in general discriminate against race, like a hot Indian would get as much D as a hot Irish lad.

Not to take away from anyone's experience of racism. As a cisgendered white man, I may not understand but I know that as a balloon in college I never pulled in the George but once I gained a triangular torso the world (and its men) were my oyster.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Didn't realise this guy is on a crusade - gay men are shallow and will cut you down in a heartbeat, he is just too precious to have that done to him

If he is so enraged by it maybe he should start with the rampant abuse and violence in his home country rather than a very liberal and accepting country like Ireland

Post edited by fritzelly on

The elevation in my opinion wasn’t for white people but western people. They were known to cheat far less on their partners and generally be more wealthy, especially when seen in Asia. As you said this has changed recently as the Asian countries have become richer and culture has changed. Success rates (relationships, marriages) were far higher with Western men and Asian women then the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Don't know why this thread is a thing. Just one worlds view according to one man. Sure, none of us here know the chap. Could be an oddball for all we know.

Honestly, the vast majority of Asian men are totally and utterly incompatible with Western men and women. That's a pretty big blanket statement but if they aren't Westernised, it's true. Asian women on the other hand are very compatible with Western men and our way of doing relationships is extremely desirable.

So maybe this guy has a point. Maybe Irish men do recognise this and don't want to be the male version of an Asian wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I mean you've got to try them all right? Variety is the spice of life. I honestly don't have a preference, apart from physical fitness and a good sense of humour. I think people only imagine that they have a type on some superficial level.

Maybe that's true when you're younger, but as you get older you gain strong preferences for certain.. looks. In addition to the personality, and other considerations, that you know just "work" based on your experiences.

Culture plays a huge part with this and traditional gender roles. However, in Asia, I know many western women who have married Chinese guys, and thinking back, they're more likely to stay together in the long term. Most of the Western guys I know who married their Asian girlfriends have gotten divorced within two decades (for all manner of reasons).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ah I predictably married a white woman but I like to imagine I was open to anything, I certainly dated all and sundry. Really though there probably was some unconscious bias when it came to a serious relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I used to work in the same office as this guy a few years back, he was perpetually offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Racism is called out so easily these days that the meaning has been lost.

Apparently racism is now a guy not getting his end away enough. Give me strength.

Dont think ive ever seen a thread title with such a bang of desperation off it that nonetheless still boils down to "person thinks something", which is not really worth a thread at all really is it now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Hamachi

And he’s fully entitled to that thought process...

As long as taxpayers money is not being used to propagate his nonsense.

And yet, there's two pages of opinions on the thread. As opposed to other threads that get closed down with only one or two comments.

TBH I never really understand why posters feel the need to pass judgement on a thread topic/title itself. If you're not interested in the thread, move on to something else... and withhold the judgement entirely... no?

No

At least, "no" for any reason that wouldn't hold equally true for you commenting on my comment

But also generally, threads with a rubbish clickbaity title and/or premise are always fair game for drive-by scorn on that basis, proliferation of daily shite like it is one of the problems with the site and why not poke fun at the worst examples when one comes across them.

If it had been posted on a serious board maybe not but i think we all know why it wasnt so thats moot.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Friends of mine whouse Grinder often pick up Asian men. Buy, mostly, they go for Asians who eat crickets rather than play cricket. If you know what I mean.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This alleged racism by what I can only see as an aggrieved, bitter and sad person with a humongous victim complex is utterly disingenuous and an attack on gay white Irish men by a very damaged individual.

I can tell you (anecdotally) that same-sex couples are much more likely to be interracial than their straight counterparts. It may be possible to glean some hard data from the forthcoming Census 2022 that records co-habiting and married same-sex couples and their ethnicity.

Gay couples are also much more likely to have a significant age difference between each partner as well. As a formerly oppressed and persecuted minority ourselves, the last thing we need is an unfounded allegation of systemic racism by an angry and damaged person.

I know three interracial gay male couples in Dublin (one married, the others long-term partners) and if there are issues, it is that the non-white partner comes from an extremely homophobic background where their own families and society have completely shunned them for being gay. Some indeed have had their lives threatened and had to flee their countries of origin.

That piece by Pradeep is pathetic, angry and baseless rant by a very unbalanced person who clearly has an axe to grind about the Irish gay male community. As others opined here, his blanket accusations against white Irish gay men are themselves actually racist in nature - but I can imagine that the irony is completely lost on him. 😏🤨🙄

Finally, Pink News is a shadow of its former self - years ago it had some good articles on issues pertinent to the LGBT community. These days it’s largely rubbish all filled with clickbait, opinion pieces, rants and guff about celebrities that are LGBT or are popular with LGBT.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest, do the inter racial same sex couples you know have a more relaxed attitude towards monogamy than heterosexual couples?

I mean, a place like the boiler house is essentially a brothel which would not be societally accepted if catering for heterosexuals

Advertisement