Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My spin today...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭covey123

Went out in the Ballyhouras on Monday,hike up Seefin then back down to join the Green loop.

Was my first time taking my new Meta Ht off of the official trails,have to say was well impressed with it. Great handling and no problems on the rougher stuff, great bike on the smoother flowy trails too, highly recommend if anyone is thinking of getting one.

Did have one off alright when bombing down a grassy trail,went over the bars after front wheel went into a hidden hole! Don't know how,but managed to clear the bike and stayed on my feet,running until I come to a stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Wrong post! This site is just a mess since update.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Went for a spin in Ballinastoe over the weekend. Trails in good nick, riding well. No one about really. They're doing some work on new trails. If anyone knows the trail that leads to the gulley at the bottom of Ballinastoe, it ends at the road and was Stage 3 I think on some of the Enduros there - that's being worked on and will go from unofficial to official. Good to see trails being expanded.

I saw that too when I was there a few weeks ago, actually came down stage 3 to finish off in that gully but it was closed off due to building. They only seem to be doing the bottom section from the fireroad down to gully. I wonder will they do the upper section too later on? Lots of potential at Ballinastoe to turn the natural stuff into sanctioned trails and expand the trail network. Only problem is they tend to lose the nice natural features that make them great in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭prunudo

Don't get too excited lads, thats going to be a new mellow climbing trail to bypass the chairlift climb. Snakes its way over towards start of cool runnings.

• Advertisement

Ahh, makes sense now when you see where it starts just up from the entrance gate. So we lost a nice natural trail there, one of my favourites to end the day.... :(

Yep, unfortunately so. But there are plans for a black trail following a similar line to the most recent stage 4. I think there is also a red coming down from the top too, not sure on route though.

Coillte are having a webinar tomorrow, Tuesday, regarding the new trail networks around the country.

Do you know if there has been anything released from the webinar?

Would you believe I totally forgot about it! Strange didn't see any links being shared on social media last night about it.

• Advertisement

Good stuff,will try to catch that

https://coillte.webex.com/recordingservice/sites/coillte/recording/750d83172ebe103ab5ff0050568293fb/playback

Its available on playback now, something weird going on with the Facebook link though, I can't seem to share it.

Hopefully thats it now.

Post edited by prunudo on

Will give it a listen on drive to work tomorrow.Not sure if there is a reference in that recording but heard Ballyhouras have the go ahead for a new red/blue trail, planned to be up and running early next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Yeah they do reference the planned upgrades in Ballyhoura. You can tell Niall isn't impressed with what's there currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

It actually doesn't look too bad, up until that last section before it joins Irn Bru. Look forward to giving it a go....I think ill wait until it dries up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Gerry

Definitely wait till it dries. Did it once when it was nearly dry. Took about 5 minutes to talk myself into the drop in. Its awkward as you need to turn sharply on fairly steep slope. after that, the long chute was the toughest bit I thought, it was bit wet there and very hard to control speed. Rest was.. manageable, chuffed that I cleaned so much of it tbh. Awesome trail.

I take it back Gerry, I saw another video of it during the week and it looks very very sketchy! Definitely will give this a go, but in dry conditions. The trail starts at 2:11 in this video.

https://youtu.be/xWQBC-PhJqI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Gerry

its hugely sketchy. I think that video shows the difficulty well. though still not the steepness. they manage their speed well. they are obviously a decent level of rider and you can see how gingerly they are taking it.

I did Aylings trail a few weeks back, the next trail over from Irn Bru. Most people talk about Irn Bru being a monster trail and one of the hardest in Djouce but I found Aylings much tougher. Steeper with less grip and tighter turns on off camber roots...my nemesis! But what a trail it is, all those trails on that side of the waterfall are great and definitely ones to test your skill level.

• Advertisement

Its just a shame you have to go up the red road to get to them. I find it hard to remember them as I don't hit them frequently enough with the climb to get to them.

Yeah true, its where an e bike shines I guess.

They appear to shine brighter with each day I grow older and lazier 😂

Haha yes, same here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I've only been getting back into the MTB recently and being based on the northside am a bit removed from decent trails. I headed down to Ballinastoe yesterday for the first time in years and loved it - although I realised very quickly how limited my skills are :( As is my fitness and as I got more fatigued I could feel myself making more mistakes on the descents. I was really surprised at how busy it was, we arrived while it was still dark and loads of people were parked up waiting for daylight to break through. Great to see though and really shows that if you build it they will come...

Was up Ticknock on Saturday and I shouldn't be, but I was surprised at how busy it was. The weather wasn't great, but the car park was absolutely jammed. Had to do a few laps before we got a space. I thought maybe if I got there before lunchtime and seeing as the weather wasn't great that it wouldn't be so packed.

Plenty of mountain bikers around but mainly walkers.

Anyway - was just a quick spin to try out a towhee towing rope thing I bought. It works really well, and means that younger kids can get around the trails that bit more. Great exercise too for the one doing the towing.

Any new trails open at B-Stoe?

Some nice new additions to existing trails in Ballinastoe rather than brand new trails (excluding the new climbing trail which I'm unsure about. Same with the new end to cool runnings, a bit meh imo). The new berms at the end of house bound are fantastic though.

Regarding the amount of people around, I've noticed a lot more walkers parking in Ballinastoe lately which can cause parking to become scarce even with the addition of the inner spaces at the weekends. But the first few weekends in January were always busy.

Post edited by prunudo on

Tried to go to Ticknock yesterday (Sunday). Got there at 10.30am, thought that would be beating the worst of the crowds - how wrong I was! Absolutely rammed. Even the road up from Kellystown was packed. Saw some poor guy who had tried to squeeze into a spot but his car fell into a ditch - he was up on three wheels! Hope he got out OK but I think it needed a tow. Did 2 furious laps of Ticknock in the car looking for a spot before leaving and going to Ballinastoe. Does anyone go to Ticknock in the afternoons on the weekend? What time does it even begin to empty?

Ballinastoe was pretty busy but nothing like Ticknock. Just had a quick spin - cycled up on the new trail - and can see they've blocked it off totally for descending with big logs across the old parts of it that head towards the gulley. The new berms at the end of house bound are good as prunudo says. Keen to see the new trails too once they've opened - they seem to be largely built and just "consolidating" now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Re: Ticknock you can park at Lamb Doyles if you think the carpark is going to be busy, means cycling up the main road or go up around the back way which is a tough climb too but at least off road

• Advertisement

Yeah - I think future spins on Ticknock will mean parking somewhere like that and spinning up - it's just not worth driving up these days.

Advertisement