Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property I've just moved into has given me tinnitus...?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Well I was diagnosed with tinnitus by an ENT. If I ever have to see him again I'll tell him I want my €500 odd that I paid him over the few months back, because I could have asked you for free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Tinnitus Research Community | StuffThatWorks

Have a look at the Tinnitus thread on StuffThatWorks and you will get a better understanding of the types of tinnitus and causes out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Medical Consultants are not infallible. Most of them just think they are. Seriously, a GP ought to be able to diagnose the issue. I have had Tinnitus for over thirty years. It developed after a particular incident when I was in the vicinity of a very loud explosion. It's not severe at all, barely noticeable most of the time particularly even in bed at night. For those with a more severe form it really can lessen one's quality of life dramatically. It is a permanent affliction. There is no magic pill you can pop to make it go away. That's why I maintain that you were misdiagnosed.

You’ll be grand once you move out. Think that’s probably your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Someone said new carpet odors can trigger it.

There was a new carpet in the bedroom when I moved in.

Since transitioned to the kitchen, converting it into a studio.

Ringing has reduced significantly since.

Hopefully another few days it's gone entirely.

In physics we trust....

• Advertisement

It could be either being further away from the resonance of the water pump, or away from the carpet odors.

I'm just relieved it's improving and hopefully won't have to move cause in this market....

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to your new landlord, ask them to get the building management company to add insulation between the pump and the building structure.

The pump should only run intermittently, not continuously. If it is running continuously, it is set up incorrectly.

Holy.....

Check his out.

Before I moved in new carpet was installed.

Perhaps this is the cause?

It seems likely.

I attributed it to the pump but who would have thought?

The adhesive used for the carpet releases fumes that can cause tinnitus.

I never experience ear ringing in my life, and it seemed absent earlier but even now I can hear it, and it's permanent according to that.

In physics we trust....

Just checked again.

The f**king smell of solvent in there.

Almost 100% that's what caused the ear ringing.

What do?

It's unlikely it will air out.

Crazy to think even in modern times companies still use unsafe practices like solvents.

In physics we trust....

I made this thread on the 23rd

I got the covid booster on the 21st

I moved from the bedroom to the kitchen on the night of the 22nd (early morning of the 23rd) cause I couldn't tolerate the ringing in my ears.

I just want to know the cause already.

Carpet adhesive fumes,

water pump although annoying seems unlikely to have caused the tinnitus at this point,

covid booster?

In physics we trust....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Tinnitus can be spontaneous, it can be caused. Knowing the cause won't stop the ringing. Talk to your doctor about treatment/distraction techniques. I'm on medication for tinnitus and other side effects of a head injury. Doesn't help the tinnitus at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement