Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS3 was a badly made POS but it's got a very substantial catalogue of exclusives. Can't say the same for PS4. PS4 is great and all but if you have a PC or XBox there really isn't a whole lot there to differentiate it from them. XBox One is a worse console but it's also pretty much a PS4 without the exclusives. But it also has Ninja Gaiden Black. PS4 is probably the least used console I own next to the One (and CDi). I guess it's just the way things are going where the consoles are less their own eco system of games and experiences and just a box to play games on. I guess my biggest complaint about the system isn't the lack of exclusives but just how boring it is. Also you say two major consoles of the day but the WiiU kicks the PS4's ass as a more interesting console.

However all of what I said is totally moot. PS4 might have had Bloodborne (did you beat it Cidey or do you need help with it? 😘). The fact is the CDi is a much better console because it has three zelda games on it and a mario game. Count them; three!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Uncharted and God of War are coming to PC so best wait for them. I found Uncharted 4 a boring and unnecessary addition to the trilogy but Lost Legacy sounds interesting. Never got around to playing it but will definitely play it on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

@Retr0gamer the cd-i isn't a console, it's a video disc player that has some badly made cartoons masquerading as games on it.

@Inviere Burn Cycle is a better Cyberpunk game than Cyberpunk 2077.

*Mic Drop*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lost Legacy is probably tied with Uncharted 2 as the best of the series. Has that excellent semi-open design that tends to be the best part of Sony blockbusters these days. Rift Apart has a brilliant such section too. So much more enjoyable than most actual sprawling open worlds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Stadia version of Cyberpunk 2077 is excellent...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well my payment for paprium on Kickstarter failed.

Now to wait and see if I dodged a bullet or missed out 😂

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Holy Crap! that is an amazing port . I'd say Sega would probably be OK with it existing as well , since it acts as publicity for them . (As opposed to Nintendo's moronic CRUSH KILL DESTROY tactics. )

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/290225-nintendo-forces-removal-of-commodore-64-super-mario-port-7-years-in-the-making

Googled Nintendo lawsuit and saw this

Took me a minute, I won't lie

• Advertisement

Those hard drive articles make me double take.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Going to have to sell one of my cabinets :( just isn't enough room with the new couch in, looks a bit silly.

Now for Sophie's Choice, Do I keep the SNK or the Pony?

Edging towards the Pony at the moment, it's worth about 4k so I'd never be able to buy it back and it fits in much better with a living room. Lower profile so I can put more shelves over it.

Absolutely adore my SNK cab though. Must have it nearly ten years now. It's more in the 2k region so I could potentially buy one back in the future, maybe...ah really love the thing though!

Is option 3, sell the couch and become a 'dont tell people how I live??' Lenny meme also worth considering?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Could it live in a future attic conversion? If so, maybe just disassemble it and store it somewhere until there's space for it...then you won't have to rebuy one

Sell it to ciderman and buy it back in 6 months when you have the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Option 4 - long term loan the SNK to someone who has space and you trust, you can always get it back in the future then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

That would be the best solution @KeRbDoG . Would be terrible to have to sell the cabinet!

Master of the Universe

One of my sisters actually offered, thought that was nice! - however realistically, they live in a rental apartment so I'd just be kicking the can down the road. Ah, I think I'll bite the bullet and sell one alright, the place I'm living in now is the 'forever home' (or at very least for the next decade!) so my space availability won't be changing any time soon.

or...

Could always lash it in my parents kitchen like I did with my first two cabinets for a few years, they'd love that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭dav09

You never know what way prices will go in the future, what keeps going up and up generally has to come down (somewhat) at some point, like a bubble. You never know it may be more affordable in the future, but would definitely store it somewhere if you plan to get one again down the line realistically.

Bloodnet is better than both of them ...Cyberpunk AND vampires!

Are you anywhere near maynooth ? I have a few spares here so I could do a used one cheap if you're stuck . Actually theres 2 people selling them new on adverts for 25 and 17

https://www.adverts.ie/playstation/new-wireless-bluetooth-controller-game-pad-gamepad-controllers-for-sony-playstation-play-station-ps3-ps-3-console-computer/15444369

(the 17 one looks like a third party , but at this point sony's probably not going to do a firmware update on the console blocking 3rd party controllers ....probably)

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure Ps4 controllers work on PS3. Might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

They do. It's a royal pain not using a DS3 though as you have no rumble and the PS button doesn't work, if you want to get back to the XMB you need to reset the console by hand.

Been at home sick with covid the last 3 days. Some absolute dose, kids and everything sick with it. Although at least they only got 24 hours of it.

Been able to get 1-2 hours of pinball in almost every night though so always a silver lining

Master of the Universe

Hope you're doing alright! The amount of people coming down with it now is mad, seems to be fairly mild though for most and is mainly upper respiratory only - so fingers crossed it's the beginning of the end for the thing!

Yeah pretty good now. I'd say I'm about 80%

Only lasted 24 hours for the children so that was lucky TF

Yeah two kids.

Im in my 30s now......****

The hoarding has gotten to an advanced stage now too. It's never really stopped, pinballs, arcade cabs, laserdisc, VHS, toys...I hoard them all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Someone's come up with a way of switching between a Fenrir and optical drive in the Saturn.

Mind yourself, I found Covid has affected people, including me, in phases.

The chills and headache would subside but be replaced with another acute symptom.

Fatigue, over the following fortnight, was particularly unwelcome, so make sure to take it easy.

Yeah it's a long term fatigue I'm worried about getting.

Im back in work next week regardless and have no more time off to take so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

The arcade version of Sunset Riders has been ported to Mega Drive by some clever folks and makes the official Mega Drive port look like pong!

Great video here comparing it to the Arcade, SNES and official Mega Drive release:

Advertisement