Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Bike Custom Paint

• 21-12-2021 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My journey as a carer to wife has come to an end as she sadly passed away from Motor Neurone Disease in November.

In 2022 I want to do a year long fundraiser for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association where I will complete some sportifs , add in a few solo journeys and maybe make a target like 5000km in year.

I would like to purchase a new bike for this. Currently I am on a Trek Domane AL3. I am thinking Trek, Specialized, Orbea with endurance/gravel type setup. I am not sure myself so I need to talk to a few people. I don't compete in races but like a fast rolling bike.

What I would like to do once I get the bike is have some custom paintwork done on the cross bar and or downtube to make the bike like a memorial/rememberance to my wife while I am out cycling on those hard days

Some hand painted marine life, seahorse, shark etc. They were her favourite.

Who could do this job?

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

Sorry to hear about your wife Lochdara.

I wonder would it be worth looking at vinyls/stickers rather than a custom paint job. By the time the bike is stripped, sent off, painted, shipped back and then rebuilt your probably spending more than the bike.

Edited to add custom painters! I know carbontec in Palmerstown used to do custom painting but think they may be concentrating on carbon work at the moment. Chris Custom design in the North too. Then you have a few in the UK, fatcreations and gun control paint but probably big money and waiting lists for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Yeah I was thinking that. I was hoping the more personal aproach of something hand done would be nicer touch but I see your point.

Edit. And within minutes of reading the answer I get a sponsored add on facebook from carbontec lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ARX

Sorry for your loss. The custom paint job in your wife's memory is a lovely idea.

Maybe these guys in Naas?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Hi lochdara

Sorry for your loss.

I'd suggest a custom detailer.

Not sure where you are based but if in Limerick, this guy gets great reviews.

I'm sure someone that does motorbike helmets, etc would be able to sort you out.

I am in Wexford but am regular in Kildare and Limerick when I visit friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Junior

Have a check with the lads in Altitude, I know they are doing Carbon Repairs etc in Waterford and may have a recommendation for a sprayer. There's a lad locally in Waterford who does restoration work on cars Pat Bolger, might be worth a shout as well. I can dig out a number if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I have no recommendations but just wanted to offer condolences to you and good luck with your plans for 2022. I'm sure she will be with you every spin of the cranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's very sad, I lost my father to MND and it's an awful cross for all concerned to bear :(.

Buying a brand new bike however and then immediately stripping it and repainting it - I think I'd be buying second hand for sure. The savings should either cover a lot of the paint job, or get you a better bike.

Though I suppose aluminium is a bit cheaper to strip and repaint than carbon.

What size bike do you ride?

Also had family member go though this. Their deterioration was rapid, going from a few falls to diagnosis and being unable to speak and every facet of their daily life needing assistance to ultimately passing in less than 3 years. The cruelty of the disease and the effect it has on those around the person is something that will never leave me.

Lochdara well done on your efforts fundraising, the IMNDA were a big help to our family and the kindness and support they showed to us won't be forgotten either as I'm sure you know. So sorry to hear your wife has passed, may she rest in peace.

My Trek Domane is a 54cm. I want to push myself more this year as I have nothing else to really concentrate on and raise funds for IMNDA. I have a new jersey ready to order as a memorial also. I hope to learn more about solo endurance rides and will want bike to suitable although I have only ever done a few multiday circa 100k spins. Second hand might be an idea but i reckon I will have funds for a new bike up to ultegra level. Carbon or Alu is something to discuss.A lighter bike would be nice. I have no idea of the cost of a paint job, even if it is just on the cross bar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you're ordering a new bike, might be beneficial cost wise for once to go get a custom build with paint included?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

As many have said above, I just want to offer my deepest condolences to you, for your loss.

My partner's mam was also diagnosed with MND and, following it's horrifically rapid progression, passed away within a year.

A wonderful, kind, gentle, shy and wickedly funny woman, lost to an absolutely horrible illness.

On the bike query: any good airbrush artist will be able to do whatever artwork/symbology you require, on any section of the frame, without having to do a full respray; that section can just be masked off, prepped, painted and then lacquered to preserve the new artwork. If you broaden your search, you should be able to find someone in Ireland, such as Chris Custom Paint, up north.

As Columbo used to say...''Just one more thing...'': I work in the bike trade, so, as your quest progresses, I'll be personally sponsoring you a pair of decent tyres, chain and cassette, when the time comes to change them; I would also like to offer any maintenance you might require during your quest, free of charge. I'm in Waterford, so not too far away from you. We can arrange via PM, when the time comes.

I wish you all the best.

P

Thanks @8valve . you very kindly donated some adult stabilisers which I have ready to return to you. It might be good to meet up for a coffee someday in Waterford and discuss ideas. I personally dont care spending the cost of a decent bike and doing a bit of stripping back. Its a 1 time job, its in her memory and I will use it to fundraise in her memory. I have already spent several hundred on IMNDA jersies just for promotion. I might just hit €20k in fundraising before the end of Jan. I am noting all comments above and also was told of De Rosa bikes in Roca sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Hats off Paul, lovely gesture. Wishing you the best with this lochdara and sent on a small donation to help this wonderful cause.

Thank you very much. Its very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

My condolences also and good luck on your quest. Is there somewhere to donate or is it simply

https://imnda.ie/donate/

Goto www.sinsin.ie and that will link you to my current fundraiser.

Thank you very much

Update. I have visited Brendan in Bicycle Design Centre and got a bike fitting to setup new bike and chatted for a few hours about my ideas. Really good info obtained and have got frame measurements sent across already. Looking forward to the next stage of the process.

And today I pulled the trigger and ordered a new bike. I have no idea just yet what paint scheme to use but the components are chosen if we can get them.

Advertisement