Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Golf Thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I actually ended up getting an M5 GPS after all 😀 Got a great deal on a demo model so couldn't turn it down. 36 hole model too so I'm delighted even though I doubt I'd ever need the extra battery. I do find the GPS handy in the limited use its got since I bought it but I do still rely on the watch for distances. One thing that annoys me about the M5 GPS is I can't seem to change it from hole layout to green or vice versa. It seems to automatically either show the layout if I'm on the tee and then on its the green only which is annoying where you are too far back to go for the green and want to see what kind of yardage it is to a hazard/landing zone. Is this me being thick or is there a way to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

See screen layout on manual where says hazard press on that on the screen and should rotate through layout, green, hazards etc as needed

Make sure to update to latest software. Do it on wifi, can be a bit fiddly and took a few goes (eg won’t work on a wifi network that does not have a password).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Thanks Higster, will give that a go. I think it might be the software is out of date, don't think I even tried updating it when I got it. I'm sure I tried the hazard option to cycle through the views but got nowhere. One thing I really like is how easy it is to just slide the pin that's on the layout to where you are looking to hit to, really makes it quick and easy to see what you're up against. Played RCD last week for the first time and it was really useful on the tee to check distances. I think someone else recommended the GPS and said its a lifesaver once you have it and I'm inclined to agree now that I have that I'd struggle to go back to not having it there on the screen. Still use the watch though as my pain point of reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Rules question for you lot, that i was curious/annoyed about at the time, and only really remembered this week.

Played some matchplay last year, and there was a hole that had a right dogleg around the coast. Red stakes around it, but the tide was out. I of course hit my drive in there. Hit a provisional into a not great spot, and moved on. When i got down near the beach, i could see my ball was sitting up nicely and playable, and in a much better position to approach the green. I assumed i could play it, but the opposing team said that local rules don't allow you to play it from there, and i'd have to play my provisional.

Do local rules trump GUI rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

can't play a provisional when ball in warer hazard so 1st ball is out of play and you must play with provo.

nothing to do with local rules

How come we see pro's playing out of water then? And if the tide is out, and there's no water, is that still not allowed? I thought red stakes allowed you to play if you find it.

I don't really care, its done, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah, you can play if you find it, but not if you've already reloaded as far as I know.

Basically, the idea is there's no such thing as a provisional for hazards

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

But if the water hazard is deemed out of bounds then surely the provisional is in play?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

If he saw his ball enter the hazard (now called a penalty area but lets call it a hazard in this instance) then he can't play a provisional. He has 3 options. 1. Play the ball as it lies in the hazard (no penalty) 2. Take a penalty drop from the point of entry to the hazard (penalty of one stroke). 3. Replay his last stroke under penalty of one stroke ie hit his 3rd shot off the tee.

Basically if he hits another ball off the tee then this ball is the ball in play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

My course has a par 3 water hole that you can't see if your ball has cleared the water due to reeds in the hazard/water. We generally play a provisional ball in this instance, either from the point of entry or from the tee box and would play the first ball if its playable when you get to the hole, i.e. not in the water. Are you saying that we have the rules wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

You can't play a provisional under the old system. Very similar situation in Ardee on a par3, you are meant to go over and check as any ball played after would be the ball in play. I'm not sure if the new hazard system changes that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd like clubs to have a local rule for holes where you may / may not be in a hazard and may / may not be able to play out of it. If someone hits their ball and there's a decent chance they'll have to play 3 off the tee, I don't want them going to the fairway / green and then running back to replay their last shot. It would save time.

It would be an advantage to the player of course. Because how playable the ball in the hazard is depends on how good their provisional ball is! I hadn't thought about it before, but on the 9th hole in corballis you can be in the lake hazard, but not quite in the water so have a very playable chip out beside the green. But you'd make sure to play a provisional in case it is gone because you don't want to look for your ball and then have to walk back around the lake to take a drop if you can't find it or it's not playable. But if you stick your provisional to within a few feet you're far more likely to play that ball than if you hit it into the water too!

In terms of keeping things moving though, I'm glad people don't realise they're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Isn't it a case that you must know with reasonable certainty that your ball is in the hazard? You may need to agree on that with your playing partners. If you don't know it's in the hazard, then you're entitled to play a provisional as you would in any other situation. In which case, if you do happen to find your ball in or out of the hazard, it must be considered found and in play?

I'd have thought that if you think it might have gone in the hazard you can play a provisional. If you find it and it's not in the hazard then that ball is in play. If you find it and it is in the hazard then the provisional is in play. What you can't do is play a provisional and then decide to take a drop from point of entry. If you could do that then you might as well always play a provisional to see how it goes and if it doesn't work out well you can always just take a drop anyway.

If you know it's in the hazard then why would you call it a provisional? You can drop from point of entry or replay your last shot.

My point exactly. If you know or agree with your partners that it's in the hazard, then you have no case for a provisional.

If you decide to retake from where you hit your first, then tough if you find the first, it's out of play.

If you don't retake and you find your first, then you can play it wherever it is. If you don't find it, treat as first ball in the hazard as agreed and take a penalty drop.

If you don't call your first as in the hazard and play a provisional, don't find it, then you must play the provisional. You can't deduce that it must have gone in the hazard and then take a drop. (If your provisional would be less advantageous than a drop for example).

But what I don't want, is people thinking their ball is possibly in the hazard, but possibly playable even if it is, so they don't hit a provisional from the tee or in front of the lake. And instead go to check out their lie and if it's not worth playing going back to hit again. I'd rather they play a provisional and then be honest about whether they'd play the ball in the hazard and play it if they would have (regardless of where the provisional went). That way I get home earlier on a Sunday morning and spend less time looking at someone walk back 100 metres to play a shot.

I know they're not the rules and rely on honesty which is not something I'd assume of golfers, but I'd rather have a few lads take advantage of the rule than watch the arse around while I want to hit the ball.

For me, it's simple. If I play a provisional and I find the original, then the original is in play regardless of where it's found. If I don't find it then the provisional is in play.

It's in play if it's not in the hazard. It's not in play if it's in the hazard. Sorry, I'm guessing that's what you mean, but just in case someone thinks that if they find it in the hazard they have the option of playing out of the hazard even though they played the provisional. They don't.

But I'm saying that people do this all the time. And I'm glad they do.

• Advertisement

Nope, I disagree. The only reason to play a provisional is in case you can't find your original and you're not certain it's in a penalty area. So if you find your original, whether in or out of the hazard, then it's in play. If in the hazard (obviously identifiable as your ball), you have your normal hazard options - play, drop, retake.

A quick Google has informed me that you can only play a provisional if you think your ball may be out of bounds or lost but in play. In other words you're not allowed to play a provisional if you think your ball might be in a hazard.

I can understand a reason for this, but I hope people don't realise it. It'll slow down rounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

We have a hole that has a ditch (red stake), with a hedge and over the hedge is a park. Behind the hedge is a fence sometimes the ball would hit the fence and go into the ditch if lucky rough/fairway. Problem was would hit a ball and say it went into ditch when could easily have gone over hedge out of bounds. So this year they just said anything goes into the ditch even rolling is out of bounds (white stakes), it has taken all the ambiguity out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

This was explained above and I hope people haven't been making up rules just to suit themselves. 🤷‍♂️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I imagine greens like that would be no fun for regular golfers. Would love to try them, but bloody hell it'd be tough.

Anyone ever done any caddying (caddieing??)?

Was chatting to a neighbour who caddies at a local club, and makes a bloody fortune apparently. Was thinking i'd stick my name down, try make a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Girlfriend’s Dad did It at a Premium course in the Midwest. Money itself is good once you get your tips -

But

You we’re expected to turn up 45-60 mins early for your round to ‘chat/hang around’ with the other caddies

You really had to be consistent with taking slots and couldn’t decide to yourself ‘ah i won’t bother for a couple of weeks’

Some Players were downright blunt in saying ‘please don’t talk to me when I’m playing’ type stuff and we’re not pleasant (funnily enough moreso Irish people)

A small cut was taking from your Round fee (can’t remember why) - Full tip you kept to yourself. Have to have a laser distance thing I think

Might sound like easy money but his whole day pretty much was taken up for a round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭boccy23

Open Golf Ireland schedule for the year. May be of interest to some on here:

https://www.brsgolf.com/irishgolfermagazine/opens_home.php?mc_cid=36d85513a6&mc_eid=d502a82cc1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Just wondering if people think these events are worth the entry fee?

Advertisement