Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

License extension and car rental abroad

• 20-12-2021 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭ rocky

My driver's license expired Aug 2021, and got a 10 month extension. I cannot apply for a new license until March next year.

In the meantime, do car rental companies abroad accept this extended expiration date, or will I not be able to rent for a few months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭ Sir Galahad

You'll not be able to rent without a valid up todate licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 74,322 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn

I'd go down the reporting it lost route "seeing as you can no longer find it".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭ rocky

Would the new driving licence be valid for 10 years? I suppose they wouldn't give me a printed date already expired... One would hope

• Registered Users Posts: 25 KLF

I printed off the page from the NDLS site that showed the extension information and the calc that showed when I could renew, next March. In the end they didn’t even notice, they still took a copy of my licence as normal. This was with Sixt in Mallorca

Your licence is not really expired anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭ rocky

You were lucky they didn't notice. Can confirm Autoreisen in Tenerife did not accept my extended expiration date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ tabby aspreme

The NDLS will give you a letter of entitlement / driver statement, stating your licence is valid, check there website for the email link, I used it with Hertz in the Netherlands recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ Golfer50

If you cannot find your license you will get an appointment for a replacement which will be dated March next, your extension date. If It was me I would prefer to have a valid license in hand for car hire - the letter they send out doesn’t even have your name on it afair!!

Advertisement