Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

License extension and car rental abroad

Options
  • 20-12-2021 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

My driver's license expired Aug 2021, and got a 10 month extension. I cannot apply for a new license until March next year.

In the meantime, do car rental companies abroad accept this extended expiration date, or will I not be able to rent for a few months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

You'll not be able to rent without a valid up todate licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd go down the reporting it lost route "seeing as you can no longer find it".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Would the new driving licence be valid for 10 years? I suppose they wouldn't give me a printed date already expired... One would hope

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭KLF

I printed off the page from the NDLS site that showed the extension information and the calc that showed when I could renew, next March. In the end they didn’t even notice, they still took a copy of my licence as normal. This was with Sixt in Mallorca

Your licence is not really expired anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

You were lucky they didn't notice. Can confirm Autoreisen in Tenerife did not accept my extended expiration date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The NDLS will give you a letter of entitlement / driver statement, stating your licence is valid, check there website for the email link, I used it with Hertz in the Netherlands recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

If you cannot find your license you will get an appointment for a replacement which will be dated March next, your extension date. If It was me I would prefer to have a valid license in hand for car hire - the letter they send out doesn’t even have your name on it afair!!

Advertisement