Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

switching advice

Options
  • 21-12-2021 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

I only have my solar panels installed this year (in October) so I dont have a lot of data yet to go on. Before install I was on SSE airtricity, consuming about 1400Kw per month roughly.

This year, installed East West, 6Kw system, 5Kw battery and switched to night rate. Trying to use switcher.ie to figure out if I should switch, but I dont really know what my new consumption will be. My first bill is 100 euro cheaper than last year - and i recon thats a bit of behaviour chnages and night rate/battery use.

Should I stick with SSE and renew in January for another year - or sign up to EI which is what switcher.ie recomends. Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

if you're staying on the D\N meter, beware of the jacked up standing charges when they offer 'competitive' low night rates... what the left hand giveth, the right hand taketh even more!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

1400kWh per month!? I thought I was bad at 800-1000! The key here as you prob know is understanding what your import will be.

Whats your night rate % currently?

And plugging your numbers into the JRC calculator gives about 4200kWh/year.

Id estimate you could put 100% of the generation of oct/nov/dec/Jan/feb/march as self use

Then roughly say 30% is exported over the apr-sept months.

Im also gonna assume a 30% night rate (of the 1400)

plugging all that into a rough spreadsheet, spits out this

8512kWh day, 5040kWh night with a night use of 37%.

Plug that into switcher/bonkers and see what spits out at you.

Also keep in mind, EI are doing an EV offer with "7500 free km" which is really a 300 euro cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

That is super thanks! I think this will help me make a start.

The 1400kWh was an estimate pre-solar... when i wasnt on night rate, and tbh not even thinking about saving electricity - just leave it all on come what may.

The lastest bill (the first all solar bill) shows 521 day and 519 night plus 224 24hr (before NR kicked in) = 1224 kWh total. I doubt that will reduce - but the summer months i guess will have a lot more self-consume... so a lower monthly number.

My current night rate is 50% - all based on behviour change of washer/dryer and dishwasher etc running at night.

The cash back is tempting - must see if EI do that for Electricity only (no gas). 24 months is a long time to lock in tho.

well bills are usually every 2 months..

you had me worried there with the 24 month contract, i have recently signed my parents up on it!

phew only 12.

re adjusting to 50% night, and 1400 every 2 months gives us this :

Ah but there is negative imports there. Lets zero them out, as its gonna be exported anyway, or used by a HW divert.

Of course this is all projection... we'll only know for sure this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Thanks so much! Meet you back here in 12 months time!

EI looks good - i see 12 month option for the 26% discount option. Cashback option looks more expensive and i dont have an electric car so ... unless SSE match it - everything looks cheaper - rates and standing charge.

• Advertisement

My parents dont have an ev either,, (have one ordered though) Never asked, no check. its just 300 cashback.

Go with whatever looks like is going to save you the most. loyalty means nothing now.

Advertisement