Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Does Parker jus not know how to finish a fight? Have to admire Chisora, some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Chisora almost left the stadium after that wild right! How is this fight still going?

Parker a clear winner...

Why nobody being asked their cards? Bellew not asked, and Buatsi not asked, and Barker not asked....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Listened to the last few rounds on radio after having read the updates. 3 KDs? 115-110 not a bit close after all that?

Parker wins 7 rounds to 5.......on two cards.....

I had him winning 11

One judge had him winning 6 rounds....

114-112? With 3 knockdowns?

Those scores are BS. 114-112 is a nonsense. Frampton on radio giving it loads about it. Bunce too. At least they’re saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That scoring from the judges was terrible. 10-2 at best. Parker a very clear winner. Best performance I've seen from him.

And did anyone think odd that none the pundits/commentators were asked for their cards?

119-106 or 118-107 cards should been

That is bizarre yea. Judges are so far out now that they avoid asking the pundits as it merely highlights the corruption.

Bellew gave his card for the SMW fight earlier..

Del Boy showed a lot of toughness…and he landed heap good shots, but Parker still clearly out-landed him

Agreed. From a punching variation perspective it was a very impressive showing.

Where to now for Parker? Some good fights there for him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Chisora's chin was forged in a foundry somewhere.

• Advertisement

His chin was letting him down. Dropped and badly hurt consistently throughout.

Parker is not a great puncher, power wise. A proper power puncher would have had Chisora gone. Or a real good finisher.

Chisora’s desire to keep trying was very admirable..

Got a hold of a poor quality highlights video entertaining fight. Chisora has provided some really good moments in the last quarter of his career and this was a good last hurrah if he leaves it at that.

I always liked Parker but I don’t see it happening for him. He doesn’t hit cleanly enough and can be awful lazy in the ring, opting to take hits rather than evade them. Not a great idea in HW especially. The body shots really took their toll. His condition still is just ok. I think the likes of Pulev would have given him an awful night even the shadow that fought Joshua. I think he’s a good opponent for the likes of Dubois or Joyce if he’s waiting around for a shot. The Whyte 2 fight might be there but I’d fancy Whyte in that. Yoka should be looking at him as a good name on the card. Plenty of good fights for him but I think he’s reached his own peak. He’s got high ratings but I can see him falling down the list there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I wasn't even scoring it myself after the first few rounds as I though it was obvious Parker was so far ahead and Chisora needed a knockout.

I think the commentators just stopped counting the scores after 4 rounds.

Funny, I actually thought his punching and accuracy and delivery were better than ever. Clean! He's a tough man who has very decent punch mechanics when on form. It may sound crazy, but in this HW era he has a place to be a contender at least.

Ok so I found a better quality highlights video. Excellent fight the desire from Chisora was brilliant. I have to climb back down (a little). Parker looks much improved and Andy Lee is emerging as a fine trainer. He was in better condition and was throwing mean shots from both left and right. Light years away from the version that robbed Hughie. Now, Chisora is ancient and never was great even if this last few years has been his best. Chisora hurt Parker several times I just think he fights way too open. He’s not a good finisher either and I’ve always thought he can be got at, especially to the body. He can take a shot though. It reminded me of the Whyte Chisora fights. I’d like to see that rematch and I think Parker might well beat Whyte if he would start well. That’s something Lee seems tohave instilled in him even if Chisora did knock him down in the first round last time. He started this fight very well. Like it was on the verge of being stopped more or less every round from 2-11. A contender, perhaps. I do find it difficult to see him regaining a world title. But at 29 he has plenty of time still and should kick on into some good fights. Who next?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

With regards who next it really is tricky to steer a career progression in HW these days. Like there are plenty of lads at the lower end of the top 20 that the likes of Parker could have a tick over fight against. The problem is the next level up is the likes of Whyte/Ruiz/Dubois/Joyce/Pulev/Povetkin/Ortiz +/- Hughie Fury etc before you get into the top table Fury/Wilder/Usyk +/- Joshua. Like if Parker seriously thinks he deserves to get back to the top tablet he should be trying to fight Wilder or Joshua (When Joshua loses rematch to Usyk). But you would have to think Parker belows with the lower tier guys in the first list. You couldn't say confidently he would beat those guys. The risk is if he starts losing to the likes of them he really can't progress any more and where does that leave him...former HW champion fighting journeymen?

Yea pal I agree with you on that. Where would you have Chisora? Middle of the top 20? So a good workout for a contender like Parker or Whyte. I can’t see Parker ever calling Fury out I don’t think he fancies that at all. I imagine he will tread water for another 2 fights and by then the landscape may have changed. I think he’d fancy a crack at Usyk and possibly even Joshua again - he’s bound to wonder how throwing back may have gone after Joshua’s losses.

If he fights too many journeymen now then that’s exactly what he will be and remain. That’s a good win and he looks better than before so I think he should be looking to someone on his own type of level. I think he’d beat Dubois (at the moment), Pulev, Povetkin (easily) and Ortiz and they are all good names for him. If he’s improved then he should beat Hughie but he’s fought him before and Hughie is boring. There’s Yoka or Zhang who would be decent names for him but are likely to pad their own records another while. Hunter shouldn’t frighten him either. So lots of credible opponents that he should beat. Not much point in watching him tear apart Washington or Spilzka etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I like Parker seems a sound bloke but is far to nice, he just doesn't have it in him to be a top guy,

It must be so frustrating for his coaches there are many many things you can teach a fighter but the one thing you can not is WILL ,

He just doesn't have the WILL to really bite down and get in the trenches and get the top guys out of there,

It's funny because if Parker had Dell boys will & guts he'd be right up there,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Andy lee did a good interview on second captains (subscriber section) pre the fight, in fairness to Andy he is always very candid and comes across as a thoroughly decent lad.

He said parker can take breaks mentally and physically in fights and thats what he is trying to work out of him.

He also had visa issues getting to the US for Wilder Fury 3 and Jason Quigleys fight (which was tough on Quigley)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

A few years back about 4 summers ago i was down in Galway with the missus on shop street & she grabbed a table outside & went in and got the drinks anyway when i came back out she was chatting to a couple on the next table & to my surprise it was Andy & Maud his missus ,He was really nice down to earth fella, it was only a few months after he retired

Advertisement