Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recovered: Can I still pass on the virus?

• 15-12-2021 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Very simple question, i tested positive late November, took two Pfizer jabs in the summer. I've been recovered the past 2 weeks, thankfully, I only had a mild illness with recovery within a week.

My question is simply this, despite a brief window where I might not be able to get reinfected, can I still pass on the virus? I'm planning on visiting my parents for Christmas and I'm hearing contradictory claims. I'm working essentially up to Christmas and won't be able to avoid public contact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Same for me - last jab July, antigen test positive 2 weeks ago after what I thought was a cold i had for about a week

From what I've read online (from reputable sources i.e. not FB etc) the virus is dead even tho it is still detectable so you cannot pass it on

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's so many variables, if it was me I'd take a self administered antigen test the day before and another the day I arrive and the day after, all negative I'd feel fully safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Doesn't matter, the antigen test can still show positive weeks (even months) after recovery but you are not contagious assuming no symptoms

Follow medical advice - 10 days after positive test you are grand, research has shown the virus is dead by then if you have recovered

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

that's a very good question for maybe the experts on RTE... no-one will be able to answer you, but the risk you pose to your parents is significantly less than your maybe unvaccinated brother would pose.... there's a chance you might catch the virus again, there's a chance you could pass it on, there's a chance your vaccinated parent(s ) might pick it up, there's a chance it might seriously affect them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you want to be sure, I would take an antigen test every few days in the run up to Christmas.

That way, if you are (say) N N N P, you know that there's a good chance you have been reinfected and can try to get a PCR test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

That's the PCR that can show a positive after infection.

Antigen tests are completely different and shows an active infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lynk

I've tested negative on antigen tests since. I took one after 10 days of isolation.

I'm just confused as to whether I can pass it on should I be in contact with someone who has it before Christmas, despite me being more or less immune from getting it myself for a while if that makes sense?

I assume to become infectious, the virus would have to take root, but currently the chances of that happening are low being recently recovered? I don't know.

You can't pass it on unless you become infected again. If you're double vaxxed and recovered then your level of protection from infection at this time is as about high it could be.

If you're only planning to visit your parents and assuming they've got their 3rd doses then the risk is probably low. In the end really you'll just have to use your own judgement as to what you're comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 not that afraid

Similar boat tho but have developed sore throat in last day or so. Recovered since early November, so PCR doesn't seem to make sense, even if could get one, as may still give a positive from the November dose. Antigens negative so far. Would have thought it unlikely, but from looking it up it still seems uncertain if Omicron could get around natural immunity that fast (2 AZ's prior) so think just going to isolate for next couple of days, see if symptoms continue or develop, do antigens daily, and make a late call on Christmas plans. Really thought I'd served my time for these few months at least 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you are worried call you GP and ask them, or maybe the HSE help line. There are lots of bugs going around my kids had sore throats at the weekend, negative PCR test, had to take my son the GP as he's still poorly coughing his guts up, GP said ear infection and postnasal drip and gave a script for antibiotics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement