Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car was UK, then imported into ROI, what's involved in reregistering in UK again?

• 16-12-2021 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭

Basically as the title says.

I bought a car in UK, changed it over to Irish plates etc, but was wondering what is involved to get it back on to its original UK plates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shamzki

If things haven't changed since I last looked into this four years ago - If the car is being re-imported into UK, it's basically very similar process to registering the car for the first time in UK. There is a form you can get from DVLA to fill in, have to fill in all details about car again chassis number, mpg, etc, pay the fee, post via registered post to Swansea DVLA. Normal times, takes about a week, but maybe longer now during pandemic

The UK gov website will have all the information, just search on google for "registering a car in UK". You can also call DVLA helpline for assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

From when I reimported a UK car which was on Irish plates the process is relatively straight forward (this was prior to brexit). The car will need to go for a MOT under its Irish plates. You then fill out the necessary form for reimporting the car (I had visited the DVLA office in Birmingham at the time) and I had to present a copy of the insurance cert, Irish reg cert and UK MOT cert . The car then goes back on its original UK reg number (you can save yourself a few quid if you kept the UK plates that were taken off when the car was imported to Ireland originally).

You surrender the Irish reg cert at the DVLA office and they issue a new UK V5. You can then tax the car after something like 24hours. They give you a few days to physically swap the plates over to the UK reg and you can then inform the insurance company of the reg change.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would there be VAT/duty added if it was going to 'mainland' UK seeing as they are no longer in EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭User1998

Yes but if you brought the car through Belfast you’d be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

And you can get a VRT rebate from revenue when leaving the ROI. This only works if VRT was paid on it when it was first registered in Ireland and it wasnt exempt. There are some other things as well such as the car must be worth over 2,000 and they deduct 100 admin charge.

Further details here.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/export-repayment-scheme/what-is-the-vrt-export-repayment-scheme.aspx#:~:text=This%20scheme%20allows%20a%20vehicle,time%20the%20vehicle%20is%20examined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

If you imported the car yourself you can get a rebate on the import duty you paid at the time... this be based on the value of the car which you paid at the time... re-adjusted to the value of the car today... if high value car well worth checking... i doubt if brexit be a factor but i do not know...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks but it was an Ev so I paid nothing.

Basically I got tempted as WeBuyAnyCar are buying cars in NI and shipping them back to UK. I know someone who sold an Ev to them a few weeks back, and they are offering good money.

My car used to be on UK plates, and I still have them in the boot. Bit of a pain having to get the mot done, but might be worth it if they would give me what the online quote was. Apparently they aren't very fussy when it comes to accepting cars. Quick look over. My friend wasn't asked anything about the state of the battery. Or for any leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I sold my i3 back to the North, it was originally from Scotland.

It had the range extender though so I paid some VRT despite it being almost an EV. Still going through the process of getting some back though.

Advertisement