Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New year Norm tournaments 2022

• 10-11-2021 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Any update if these will go ahead?

Trying to plan holidays and all this tricky stuff, doesnt seem to be any update on the ICU website so I presume still pending?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

edit - found it now but looks like still provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

Given the current Covid situation, I think it can hardly be anything other than provisional.

a) ICU would need a warm but well-ventilated venue; b) the overseas titled players may be hard to guarantee.

My estimation is that some non-title round-robins may be held if things improve and a venue is available.

More likely there won't be any more OTB tournaments in Ireland until Gonzaga, and maybe not even that.

Easter-time is a better bet for norm tournaments I think.

My information is that Colaiste Eanna is not available for more tournaments until their own Bolger Cup in March.

I have discovered some strange stuff, it looks like certain players have been invited to this, and others (especially one player with 2 norms) not even contacted.

This apart from some doubts I have about team selections, it looks like we will have to question the executive.

I know nothing about invitations for the norm events, but what doubts have you about team selections?

If you mean the European Team Championship, there was on the ICU website for many weeks a page where people could express an interest in playing.

The page is still visible: https://www.icu.ie/events/1477

I don't see your name there.

The team selected consisted of the top three on ICU rating plus Zalan Nemeth whose ICU rating is no guide to his real strength.

Nemeth won the Galway online tournament (not rated by ICU). Then he gained about 100 FIDE points in Hungarian events this summer to reach 2163. He gained more points at the event in Slovenia and will probably be over 2200 in the December list.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Pete Morriss

Just to correct a small inaccuracy: it was the Cork Online tournament, in October 2020, that Zalan Nemeth won. Zalan didn't play in the Galway Online tournament (March 2021), which was won by FM Robin Moss. Neither tournament was rated by the ICU, for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement

Interesting, I didn't see that, seems fair enough then.

My name has nothing to do with it btw as I was unavailable, its more a general thing that teams should go through selection committee proper process, I get that maybe in this case for reasons of Covid or whatever that wasn't the case.

I guess the latest Govt. restrictions, which extend to January 9th, mean that the planned New Year round-robin tournaments (norm and otherwise) may not be able to go ahead? Though it's not quite clear how the 50 per cent rule could be calculated.

A pity, though, as this was something to look forward to after Christmas; maybe ICU can find a way to do it.

I guess, but not much to look forward to if it is not done correctly.

With only 3 weeks to go before these events were due to start, I think we can assume the norm and other round-robin tournaments are off but ICU have yet to announce that as a fact.

The webmaster appears to be in hibernation as the site still says Ennis is on "this weekend."

Seems I was wrong in my previous post and ICU intend to go ahead. They are taking entries for all-play-alls, despite the 8pm curfew.

They still need two overseas GMs to fill the GM event and three players, two of whom must be non-IRL and one must be an IM, to complete the IM norm event.

Presumably negotiations are going on behind the scenes to fill the vacancies.

Plus two or three other non-title round-robins are advertised on the OICU website, depending on entries.

They are also still hoping to have the blitz on 6 January but of course that now cannot be an evening event and would need a separate room from the other events.

So if you are treble-jabbed and feel bullet-proof, go ahead and enter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

I am more than surprised to see these events going ahead although I've just entered the all play all in the hope it won't be as bad as some say it will be. Thrice jabbed but don't feel bullet proof re omicron. I'll be keeping the situation under review, given what's happening in London etc and I suspect I may be withdrawing when push comes to shove.

I don't see how they can start the blitz as late as 6.15pm which is what the flier says at the moment.

Maximum four rounds could be played in an hour.

BTW the GM norm player list has Dutch player Yichen Han as a CM but he got his FM title in 2020 according to his FIDE profile...

Brave man Eugene. Before omicron I was intending to play if these events happened but very doubtful now.

I'll probably pull out - just keeping my options open for now.

With those numbers today I've withdrawn. Its only going to be mental by the end of next week at this rate after all the Xmas mixing. Pity. I really miss OTB chess.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭corkcitychess

I see in the all play all there is an entry from Hari Prasad

U1150 10 entries

1176 Hari Prasad

Is he not too strong for this low section? having beaten a few titled players in the Bunratty online event? (could be someone else with the same name aka agent 007.....in which case my sincere apologies for the confusion).....I think he should be moved to the 1650+ event 🙂

Also I see the hotel requirements for all over 12's to provide proof of vaccinations! a very good idea IMHO....still a few hard line sceptics out there! you know who you are! yes you! the guy I spoke to on the phone for 2 hours in August 😀

happy new year all

In the GM norm event I am guessing Peter is a filler for the time being and that negotiations are going on behind the scenes to get a couple more titled players to step up...Alex Baburin would be perfect if he had the time or was covid free....another option - maybe bring back Mark Orr ....his 8 year absence in effect equal to time served for past indiscretions ? All is forgiven Mark! 🙂

GM Norm 10 entries

2529 GM Paul Motwani

2502 GM Keith C. Arkell

2495 GM Jose Gonzalez Garcia

2439 IM Sam E. Collins

2398 FM Conor E. Murphy

2347 IM David Fitzsimons

2318 FM Tom O'Gorman

2301 FM Tarun Kanyamarala

2293 IM Vignir Vatnar Stefansson

1931 Peter Cafolla

Conor Murphy is on top form having secured the IM title recently and a GM norm the week after his last IM norm ...title also recently confirmed

https://ratings.fide.com/profile/421669

I was going to play but then the curfew and change of schedule threw my plans into chaos.

Hope it all goes ahead ok, on the GM tournament Peter will count as a 2200 for norms so no problem there.

On the IM one the important thing is to have at least a 2230 average I'd have thought.

the pairings for the GM event are up on chess results . com nothing yet for the IM event

the current average rating in the IM norm event with 9 entrants is 2229.55....0.45 of a rating point below the min. requirement ...(great spot Joe)

(the below ratings are now corrected by me to reflect the current ratings on the January 2022 FIDE rating list)

IM Norm 9 entries

2381 FM Tim Wall (2256 Jan 2022)

2348 IM Stephen R. Burns-Mannion (2271 Jan 2022)

2311 FM Conor O'Donnell (2310 Jan 2022)

2291 WIM Zala Urh (2291 Jan 2022)

2256 FM Colm Daly (2285 Jan 2022)

2213 IM Chris Baker (2227 Jan 2022)

2173 WGM Shrook Wafa (2138 Jan 2022)

2115 Peter Carroll (2139 Jan 2022)

2104 Jacob Flynn (2149 Jan 2022)

not sure if a WGM counts as an IM equivalent or in they need another IM? In any case to keep the minimum 2230 average rating requirement the organisers need to find a player rated 2234 or above.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

I think another IM is needed.

For ratings, it's not required that the entire event has an average rating of 2230 or higher, just that any norm-seeker has to face opponents of average rating 2230 or higher (actually, 2229.5 would so, as that would be rounded up). Doesn't make a huge difference here, though.

• Advertisement

yes I was thinking about that eg Daly, O' Donnell and Urh would need the missing IM to be circa 2245 or higher to bring their totals above 2230 should they get the required norm scores - 7.5?

I note the pairing is very clever ...in effect it buys the Organisers a day to find the missing IM as the first 2 rounds pairings pair non norm seekers with the missing IM (IMs Mannion and Baker) so the organisers only need to find the required IM to play the last 7 rounds.

fingers crossed they do and then they can update the individual norm requirements for all the norm seekers...always a good idea to do this as early as possible.

Indeed, I dont think fixing pairings is allowed, its usually an open draw.

So lucky rather than clever would be the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

Well done Peter Cafolla! That was entertaining. Looked like a goner earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

is the Gonzaga tournament going ahead at the end of the month? it's listed on ICU but can't find any other information

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Highly unlikely I'd say. It'd usually be open for entry now - and it'd also be an indoor event which goes on after 8pm, which currently isn't allowed unless restrictions change. Which they may, but there's still a lot of uncertainty

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

Two weeks to FLATTEN THE CURVE.

Take a jab and then take another jab and then take a booster and then another booster and we will get back to normal. Well kind of, Might need an update to your body every few months with boosters, but might not need them more than once year?

Be back to normal in a jiffy.

Advertisement