Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex and the City: And Just Like That

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

I hated mr big glad he died...he was a sap...aiden was much cooler...

So weak the way he died on a spin bike in his apartment

charlotte looks pathetic with the fakelips botox...she was the most beautiful of all 4 now she looks the worst

Miranda looks like she's 80

Carrie looks even twice as ugly ..the nose looks bigger

The show is so weak without samantha

Kim Cattrall is 65 - the production wouldn't be able to afford the KY Jelly costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Shelga

Not enjoying the nasty comments on here about women who have dared to age- just pathetic, unnecessary and mean.

Regarding the show itself, it was not as bad as I was expecting, but felt really weird for the first while as I acclimatised to the 2021-ness of it all, and the fact that it's in HD or whatever and the original series was not- can anyone help explain what I mean?? Like you know when you watch the original show, it's clearly not HD, it's shot on film, which makes it look less high quality but the ultra HD thing makes me feel like I'm in the room with the characters and makes it harder for me to suspend my disbelief somehow- anyone know what I mean? Anyone?? Haha. I had the same feeling when watching the Gilmore Girls reboot compared to the original TV show.

There were parts I liked, and parts I didn't. Overall I like Miranda's arc and am interested to see where the drinking thing is going- I think that's a realistic and interesting potential issue for a stressed out woman in her 50s. I liked that the fashion was still a thing but not the ultra consumerist crap of the films- well apart from Charlotte buying Oscar de la Renta for her bloody children!

Did not buy whatsoever that Samantha wouldn't immediately be there for her best friend's husband's funeral, but am glad they didn't kill her off and no matter what they did there, they were kinda screwed. As others have said, felt all very meta and uncomfortable when they were discussing "the rift"- like SJP talking about Kim Cattrall, not Carrie talking about Samantha.

I will obviously watch all of this until the end, haha, but there was no way it was ever going to be as rewatchable and classic as the original. Still on the fence about whether it was worth them doing or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

it was falling over it self to cover every liberal thought, agenda in fact it was embarrassing. Turned it off after Big dropped 11% reduction in peleton shares you couldnt make it up :) ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Oh Charlotte's face is so painful to watch. She's gorgeous and whatever she's had done she has just ruined herself. She has a stunning figure but she's bet into the clothes she's wearing, so unflattering.

I too thought the rift was more about the actors than the characters. I suppose they had to make reference to her absence.

I thought Smith was going to appear when Miranda went into Smiths bar.

The characters themselves made so many references to their age it was tiresome...yes we know you are older so are we!!!

Didn't expect the death! The secretary was featuring alot wonder if there's more to that....a love child will be such a cliche.

The Brody storyline, no parents would be ok with that....fair enough letting girlfriend stay over on the understanding of discretion but Jesus not to that level of "noise" .

It will be interesting to see where the storylines go.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks like he allegedly might have gone beyond horse-play in those situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The only saving grace is Stanford and it's sad as the actor died

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Hopefully justice can’t take its course for all - not sure if such alleged crimes can be prosecuted at this stage in the USA - depends on the states statute of limitations legislation.

That article makes for grim reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Trial by internet again, he is innocent until proven guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The text messages add quite a bit of credence to one of the accusers allegations.

Anyway back to the show.

Episode 3 was dreadful.

The non binary podcast comedian is absolutely abysmal, but the whole thing is just so dated and try hard, flagging every single storyline as well

Oh no! That makes me sad.

I didn't know he had passed away until I read your comment. He looks well on the show, yet reports say he had pancreatic cancer. Only 57.

I was a huge fan of the original series, and funnily enough, I have never watched any of the movies - so maybe that's a good thing. I am enjoying this for what it is, but I do miss Samantha.

And as a woman in my 50s, who embraced her silver fox when I was 40 - I applaud Miranda's choice not to dye her hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

What was with Mr Bigs nickname? Was he supposed to be well endowed?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Can't see us finishing the rest of the series. One dead, one gone and the grey haired one. They're really clutching at straws. I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

I don’t think it’s *quite* as bad as some of the reviews are making out, but there is something very flat about it. I know it obviously has a different tone after the events in the first episode but even accounting for that, the dialogue feels very forced and the characters aren’t playing off each other at all. I think it’s really apparent that none of them want to be there and they’re doing it for the big pay cheque. I think it shows also how important the Kim Cattrall character was to the whole dynamic. The few attempts at humour have been absolutely abysmal, it really feels like they are all phoning it in. I hate what they have done with the character of Miranda, no way would she have reacted like that with the black professor. She was a successful woman in a man’s world for 30 years, no way she would become so flustered at a woman, and a *gasp* black woman at that! being a professor. I also hate what they have done with Steve, I know he is supposed to have hearing loss in the show, but they have turned him into a total moron in it. I agree with the previous comments about the non-binary character, I don’t think they add a lot to the show. That said, I thought there have been some ‘ok’ bits. I thought the scene with Carrie and Natasha worked quite well. I’ll probably watch the rest of it, but I wouldn’t be kicking myself if I missed it either. 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I agree with @Navy blue that one of the better scenes - and storylines - so far, was the interaction between Carrie and Natasha.

I've just watched Episode 4 - Charlotte's antics to be "inclusive" was really cringey and uncomfortable to watch. I've kept an open mind so far, but they're simply trying too hard to pack in all these new characters and friendships. Miranda is a mess, when she was always one of the stronger characters.

I really miss Samantha.

And now, Stanford is gone to Japan to manage a teenage tik tok star. (seriously, the writers couldn't come up with something better than that for his character?)

John was Mr. Big as in Mr. big shot money bags etc., nothing to do with his mickey

I thought it was because he was "Mr Big" ss in a major player in the financial world / Wall Street? .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I never knew that. I thought he was called Big because he was the big love of her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭NSAman

It’s crap. Non-binary, woke, every social stereotype and cringy to watch, not to mention dry, predictable and boring.

I thought maybe one of Natasha's kids was Big's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Shelga

Today's episode is the one that pushed me from being on the fence about this reboot to wishing they hadn't bothered. It's just no fun. They seem to be rewriting Miranda's entire history to reflect Cynthia Nixon's real life. There's no Samantha. Every single interaction seems to come from a place of being terrified to be seen as not being woke (Anthony is the only one saying anything in keeping with the non-PC role filled by Samantha in the original run). Che is an awful character. Kristin Davis's face, although I fully get how much pressure ageing actresses are under, is distracting. Carrie having hip surgery is not interesting or fun.

There have definitely been good moments and observations, but overall, like I suspected would be the case, I wish they had just left it alone.

Edit: And it's absolutely not because they're in their 50s. It's because they make being in your 50s look nothing but miserable, when there was a chance to do so much more, and who needs to see that right now? Once again, I commend Kim Cattrall for opting out. The show runners and cast need to know when to let it go. That said, I'm obviously going to watch every episode and therefore be used as a reason for them to make another season, but hey ho :P

Advertisement