Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Lost City (Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum)

• 16-12-2021 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭

Looks great craic.

'A reclusive romance novelist on a book tour with her cover model gets swept up in kidnapping attempt that lands them them both in a cutthroat jungle adventure.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,931 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Romancing the Stone vibes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Very random cast. Looks good though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I might be in the minority, but that looks fairly awful.

Only redeeming part is the likely small cameo shown a couple of trailers too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Daniel radcliffe's character looks very similar to Now you see me 2

That looks terrible...

I love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

• Registered Users Posts: 84,931 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Oh yes Thor BP 😁

I see the token black funny friend assistant is in it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What idiot in marketing ruined what smells like the biggest surprise/joke of the film?

Otherwise this looks terrible. Obvious cues taken from Romancing the Stone, but dragged through a machine sucking out the sexuality and wit. "Stupid but fun" is great. This just looks stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Big superman vs batman trailer vibes of the reveal for sure!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,968 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

More like tropic thunder vibes for me...

But at 50%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Not sure if they ruined a big a reveal or more that they just showed the full movie in the trailer.

Honestly, it looks not good, but not offensively bad, just a comedy by the numbers that will likely make a profit. That said I’m getting tired of the kind of humour that featured heavily in 21 jump street (also starring Tatum) where a common movie troupe is referenced and then there’s a 4th wall breaking moment where the character winks at the audience as to how outlandish or far out the concept is.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Most trailers do ruin a movie but an exceptional show the “whole thing”. This trailer went beyond and like you said showed the full movie.

It wasn’t a title worth the hassle of getting out of my seat at the cinema but by the time I had my earphones it was ruined even though I wasn’t looking.

might have good for a few chuckles on Netflix but will leave it until I have long forgot the clips

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I liked this but didn't love it. The romance and adventure aspects were quite well done but the comedy is very try hard. You remember that thing where a comedy DVD would be released but it's not the version you saw - instead it's 10 mins longers and includes lots of ad-libbing? That's what this feels like. It has its moments but you could easily take out 15 mins (including an unnecessary subplot about Bullock's publisher) and you'd have a much leaner, funnier movie. Stick with Romancing the Stone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pfffh, what do you know, you handsome moron.

Light as a feather, brimming with the effortless charm and chemistry of its trio of leads as they bickered back & forth; this was a knockabout action-adventure-romance of the type they don't make anymore (and it's sad how often I find myself saying that). The back half definitely lost some of that zippy energy, devolving into somewhat generic thrills; while there was a ... cleanness to the jungle that made locations feel more like a playground than a muddier, dirtier forebear like Romancing the Stone. That older movie had a bit more sexual energy to it as well, such that even though The Lost City was itself playful and flirtatious, it was rarely as seductive. Then again, maybe that's nostalgia talking.

All that said, those quibbles didn't take away from the sheer fun; sometimes when the actors are having fun, the audience isn't - but not so here. A sequel might struggle to capture the lightning again, but I'd be happy to hear a follow-up announced all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Romancing the Stone which it took a lot from well everything from really.

That was a whole lot of fun I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did the great chemisty between the leads and Daniel Radcliffe continues to just be great in everything he is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought this was good - solid comedy-romance-adventure that centres on the characters rather than relying on ridiculous CGI set pieces (looking at you, Uncharted).

Perfect Sunday afternoon type of movie - harmless and easy watching at worst, but generally very entertaining.

Advertisement