Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brake Pad fell off car

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Lemlin,

Im not going to quote your whole post. What I said was that this issue

"In my opinion its the drivers fault. A brake pad just doesnt break away like that without some warning noise and its likely the driver didnt hear it / choose to ignore it."

And I stand by that - From experience there was no way that brake pad just fell out with absolutely no warning.

If I came across as blaming you that wasnt personal - I just feel that theres more to this and you being non - technically minded youre hearing both sides of the argument - one from people saying the dealer is in the wrong and others saying they arent.

I still question why a hub was fitted - a hub doesnt affect vehicle alignment.

I also understand where you are coming from reading different views from those in the trade and those not and its hard to know who to listen to.

Apologies if I came across the wrong way but the whole dealer bashing that goes on in here gets on my nerves- we`re all useless until people need us. And then we`re the worst in the world when we do give bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

And worse again when we charge for it. Everything should be free at the dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

You seem to be looking for an argument here? Go look for it somewhere else.

Exactly what advice have I ignored or dismissed?

The point of the thread was to seek advice from people from mechanically minded than me but it appears there are very different views on the topic.

What it came down to for me in the end was I just didn’t have confidence in the dealer so have now moved my business elsewhere going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There really aren't different views. The majority of people are telling you more or less the same thing bar the odd exception who don't seem to know anything about cars or consumer law.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

While there are good and bad in every industry, and it's true you mainly hear bad news on the internet. But car dealer are the cause of much of their own woes. No smoke without fire.

In this example you have a customer who has paid for work done and really had no idea what was done, from either garage While it's true they had little interest in finding out or educating themselves, there's an opportunity missed in elevating the garage above others in demonstrating their expertise to the customer.

Had work done in my own car recently under garage warranty and when I asked for a print out of work done for my records I was told they don't issue print outs for work done under warranty to customers. In fairness to the girl in the office she had no problem telling me in detail what was done. But I was baffled by the garage policy.

While I have had some good experiences with dealers. The majority were negative. If the industry wants to improve it's public image it needs to work on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Had work done in my own car recently under garage warranty and when I asked for a print out of work done for my records I was told they don't issue print outs for work done under warranty to customers. In fairness to the girl in the office she had no problem telling me in detail what was done. But I was baffled by the garage policy.

Actually we were told that we cant supply warranty invoices to customers for warranty work as it falls into GDPR territory ie the invoice is made out to the manufacturer and not the vehicle owner so I dont think its garage policy - it could be GDPR related.

I cant even supply service histories anymore to a new (used) vehicle owner without removing names and addresses from the invoices.

Generally you wouldn't be in a position to generate a warranty invoice at the point the car is returned to the customer, it's usually only processed and paid in the following weeks.

Generally, i wouldn't be keen on giving them out as it's not really the customers business in terms of the rates agreed between ourselves and the manufacturer, part prices etc. A zero value cash sale invoice can work with a bit of a write up on it if the owner wants doccumentation, however i'd also err on the side of it's not the done thing if at all possible.

GDPR is tricky alright, i wouldn't give anything other than a verbal confirmation on a service history, dates, mileages and parts fitted, nothing else. Very easy for GDPR to slip in a service dept with things like that. We are even at a point of adding it to every used vehicle preparation to delete old phone names from tbe bluetooth and if "home" is saved on the sat nav to delete it.

Anyway!

They might use the excuse of GDPR but tbh I'd lay good odds its about putting yet another layer of abstraction between the customer and information about the car, to increase dependency on the dealer/manufacturer.

Wiping a built in GPS is a no brainer.

To be fair any manufacturer i've ever dealt with has been very particular about how warranry repairs are carried out down to nuts, bolts, gaskets etc, the spend on a warranty repair is never an issue, the biggest issue is making sure the repair is lasting and correct. If anything they should find a way to shout about how good warranty repairs generally are.

That being said, i dont think the warranty invoice from the dealer to the manufacturer is any of the owners business to request. No problem discussing or putting in writing what was replaced but I dont think there's an entitlement to a copy of the warranty invoice for the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Having warranty work, I wouldn't care what it cost but I'd certainly want some form of record. Be it Job sheet or redacted invoice or whatever but it would need to describe work done and parts replaced.

Too often with warranty you are offered nothing only 'you are all good now'.

• Advertisement

And this is? I’m reading a number of pages of people giving plenty of different opinions.

If you’re talking again about the car moving regularly, it moves at least 3 times each week to go to football training which is a 10km or so journey. That’s the least it would have done each week but it has moved each week.

2000 kms divided by 26 weeks gives you an average of 76kms a week. Perhaps not as active as it should be but not lieing idle for long periods either.

The article you linked to earlier is not at all relevant to my vehicle:

My car has never not been driven in two weeks. I did clearly state earlier at the start of the thread that the car was driven 1-2 times at least every week.

Its a general guide not meant to be taken literally.

You don't have to park a car for a long time for a brake to seize up. Anything mechanical can fail for a multitude of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Failures can happen but the friction material dropping off like that shouldn't happen in the circumstances given.

The article, that you chose to post here, says any car should be fine even if left parked up for two weeks. My car has never even been left parked up for one week so what is the relevance of the article?

I’m also waiting for you to outline what “same thing bar the odd exception” all the posters were telling me?

For the third or fourth time I’ll ask, what advice given have I chosen to ignore?

Much like your chosen, but irrelevant article, that you are now stating is “not meant to be taken literally”, a lot of your points seem very “general” and when you are questioned on them there isn’t a lot of concise backup.

I'm beginning to see the futility of trying to explain the practicalities and limitations of materials and mechanics "...knows very little about cars...".

Changing garages was the best course of action for all involved. The old garage is happy you've moved on. The new garage is happy to charge you more, and you're happy to pay more. Everyone's happy.

I wonder how many people here who take an interest in their cars. Check before getting work done (and after) that dealers use OEM parts, and have actually fitted them if they claim to do so. Is what they've used documented on the invoice.

There is probably some obligation in franchises, but I've been caught out before assuming this.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

But the Op didnt ask you to " explain the practicalities and limitations of materials and mechanics ". He simply asked you to back up your assertion that he had ignored advice. Actually asked you several times.

He was advised why it couldn't have been the garage fault. That pads are not infallible and you can only explain that by explaining the rest of it. If you dismiss those as possiblities what is the other conclusion.

Blackvalley what's your own conclusion was it the garage that caused it. If so how. Are brake pads 100% reliable.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

And how exactly have I ignored that opinion then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What was the outcome of this? Thread is nearly 2 weeks old

Didn't go back to the dealer, got pads fitted at an indy.

And got a hub fitted for some strange reason - Im still wondering why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

To be fair to the op, he did say he has gone to a main dealer of a rival brand , not an indie

Post edited by 9935452 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Advertisement