Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do house surveyors go up into the attic?

Options
  • 15-12-2021 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

When someone is getting a mortgage and need a survey done on an old property , I know the surveyors check the walls for dampness and structural cracks etc but do they get a ladder out and go up into the loft / attic space and check beams and the wood up in the attic for wet rot dry rot / woodworm and roof condition from the inside? - do they go that far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Any I have ever know do.

If they dont, then they arent doing their job. Sometimes though they cant get to all parts of an attic. Nothing you can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Mine did anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Generally yes, unless there's a reason not to. They should be checking the attic for roof structure, condition of roof timbers, services in the attic (cold water storage), insulation, and anything else depending on the house.

Unless there's a safety reason why they can't enter the attic (I had it on one before where the level of items stored by the occupier in the attic meant I couldn't safely get in/out of the attic enough to survey it), they should or at the very least should note why they haven't and give recommendations on items to be checked/clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pleh

Mine went up into attic took photos put them in the report and as it turns out, didnt understand what they were looking at. So there's that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No. Most will go as far as the loft entrance itself and that's it not venturing into the loft. Yes it can be down to their own insurance etc and height work etc.

You would have to specifically ask for more if you need it from a surveyor. Be specific with them it's not a default. Default is a quick visual scan for roof supports and conditions of the roofing felt/membrane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hontou

Mine did and took photos of problem areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Kurooi

Had two surveyors and both went up, in fact they both commented and drew out the build of the rooftop, materials, insulation, state of the wood, issues.

And one of them didn't have access, so now that I'm reading this I realise he brought his ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭dubal

it varies, I had a couple done and I walked around the house with them.

One guy checked everything, one guy wanted to make it look like he checked everything. There was actually some standing water in the garden (which I would want to know why its not draining), he stood in while taking his pictures of the house. There were 2 attics, he took a picture in one, and didnt notice there was a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

They will use access as an excuse! Best if you had a step ladder for them so they have no excuse. If they don't check the attic make sure to check it yourself to ensure the seller isn't hiding any rubbish or mattresses up there-happened to me!!

Advertisement