Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3G camera

• 08-05-2021 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

What are people finding is the best type of 3G camera as no WiFi where it will be placed and how much would it cost per month? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭893bet

Reolink 4g camera with a data plan from 48 for 10.99 per month. I think you can cancel the data plan for a few months of the year and pick it back up as you wish. You get a week trial before having to pay so at least you know if that set up will give good reception or else try a different provider.

Very easy system set up. There is a big thread on here on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭bosallagh88

893bet wrote: »
    Reolink 4g camera with a data plan from 48 for 10.99 per month. I think you can cancel the data plan for a few months of the year and pick it back up as you wish. You get a week trial before having to pay so at least you know if that set up will give good reception or else try a different provider.

Very easy system set up. There is a big thread on here on it.

Thanks is that €48 to buy ? will try and find thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Jb1989

48 is the name of the phone company.

See link to thread posted. Lot of info on Reolink there from me and others. It’s very easy set up. Fool proof. Company 48 are one of the cheapest sim only data plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

48 are one of the cheapest sim only data plans.

Vodafone 5GB, 5e/28 days
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/add-ons.html

I don't have one yet, but during my research the Reolink Go PT is the camera I'd go for. I was going to mount it to a small trailer and move it around with the sheep in the paddocks. No wifi here either so 4g was the only simple way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

Some of those reolink cameras are compatible with V-SIMs from Vodafone (V by Vodafone). They're 5 euros / month for a camera device and roam onto any network.

I know kelco, one of Vodafone's resellers, is selling camera and SIM as a package

The search system on boards is diabolical.

I put up the Reolink GO PT (4g camera) in the shed yesterday evening, caught a cat (not the burglar type) prowling about after 4am 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Bought the Reolink camera as well from reading that long thread on calving cameras. Looking forward to setting it up. Got a Sim from 48. Due to start calving here the first week of January so won’t have long to wait to put her in action.

• Advertisement

I got a 48 sim in October, and it's been constipated with a technical issue since, only making progress on sorting it out this week! Can drop the €20/month 3 card then.

wouldn't the vsim from Vodafone at €10 upfront and €2.99 a month make more sense

specifically mentions that camera as being compatible with

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I hadn’t activated the 48 sim yet so might order a Vodafone one so. Hadn’t heard of that offer before. Thanks guys 👍

Just ordered one of those, could buy a second camera with the savings compared to 3 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Micey.ie

Not sure if the Vodafone smart sim works on all Reolink cameras,only showing works with one Reolink camera(non tilt).would check before buying also think you need a Vodafone number to activate

Managed to change the Reolink app notification sound on the phone to the old sumbarine movies Awooga! sound.......... 😁

Not sure herself will be as happy with me as I am with myself when it goes off some morning at 5am. The standard app sounds wasn't waking me, no point in having the thing and sleeping through a burglary.

Anyone get the Vodafone smart sim working? Mine came the other day but not had a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Try avoid 3G related stuff. Fair chance the 3G network will be wound down in the not too distant future. Big telco companies in the states are planning to shut it down this year. We'll surely not be long after

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Does the Vodafone v sim require a Vodafone number as well? Not able to activate it on 3.

Edit. Yep you need to be a Vodafone customer.

Post edited by YellowRattle on

Can you put like the steps you had to do to activate?

• Advertisement

Would buying a pay as you go sim for an unlocked phone do the job?

Not activated yet as need to switch from 3 to Vodafone.

Assuming that you are on Vodafone

1) Download the Vodafone Smart App. Register with your mobile number.

Choose v-sim ( will ask to scan the q code on your sim package) and v-camera/Reolink as your device. You need them to choose a plan. Once you have the plan it will activate the sim.

Place sim in Reolink and should say Connected In a bit. Will say if not.

Have a go, getting my Vodafone sim tomorrow so will complete process and can help you if u are stuck.

My other job is software but even I find this a pain.

will It work with all Reolink camera’s?

Bough a second hand unlocked phone and after a bit of faffing around all worked. Anyone having issues let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

I recall being able to pay the smart SIM subscription by card through the Vodafone Smart app if you weren't a Vodafone customer. Has this option been removed?

The app is utter dogsh*t anyways so it wouldn't surprise me

I tried and didn’t work. Only works via Vodafone account unless you are in a network that Vodafone approves. An post sim maybe…..

I got smart sim activated and working on my Reolink camera but the coverage is ****-keeps cutting out.Swapped over to 48 sim again and it’s perfect??

did you need to get a Pay as you go number for Vodafone aswell to get the smart sim working?

• Advertisement

Yes

Advertisement