Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which counties can you build in the coutryside?

• 16-12-2021 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all, we currently live abroad and hope to move back to Ireland in the next year. We would love to build our own home in the countryside but belive most if not all county development plans mean you need to have some strong local conncetion to the specific area.

So my question is: Is there any counties you can build a new house in the coutryside without having a local connection etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Short answer is no. There are exemptions but as they differ from county to county you would really have to trawl through the various county development plans. Have you considered a small village or urban settlement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Buy an old house, to extend and renovate and you can get planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭bemak

this is your answer if you don't want to waste your time on it

• Registered Users Posts: 16 stonepark

That was the fall back position and the most likely choice! It will be interesting to see if this rule changes in the future development plans...

Thansk all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Please don't. Country is destroyed with houses fecked around the place willy nilly. Can you not buy an old one or are there rules on that too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Many years ago the Irish Planning Institute stated that Irish people were getting over the NIMBY Planning syndrome (not in my back yard) because people in Rural Ireland had to spent so many years trying to secure Planning Permission on unsuitable sites, and after they build their house, were then adopting the BANANA Planning syndrome (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything). Welcome back to Ireland.

As An Taisce states “the proposed building will take the Vista off the Street”. 😂😂🍺🍺😂😂😛. So anyone returning to Ireland needs to bring back bags of Vistas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

My advice is to find a village with shop/post office/school/pub etc and buy old property and renovate/extend

You'll support the businesses in town and help regenerate the village

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tom573

I believe there are/was parts of Offaly & Laois that did not require local needs, and I'm 90% sure that Limerick doesn't have any local needs.

I am aware that in the upcoming County Development Plan for Carlow, there are some areas that do not require local needs, only requirement is that you haven't built a house in the Carlow countryside before.

Hope this helps.

Source for above:

I'm unable to post links but if you look up the county development plan on Google and open the first link for the 2022-2028 plan and on the right under contents click on "Chapter 13: Rural Design Guide" it'll be on that page.

See Table 3.4 about 3 thirds of the way down the page, under 3.16.1 Rural Area Types, and it's the zone 2 that you're interested in.

These are the requirements to build there:

a) The applicant shall demonstrate compliance with all normal siting and design requirements.  (Refer also to Policy RH P6)

(b) The applicant shall demonstrate that they are seeking to build their home in the rural area for their own full-time occupation, that they do not own or have not been previously granted permission for a single house in the countryside in County Carlow and have not sold this house to an unrelated third party, save in exceptional circumstances. 

All this means is that they'll make a condition on your planning permission that you can't sell the house for 7 years, councils really don't want people building houses in the countryside and then selling them on for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Building your own isn't cost efficient for most buyers either, unless you want a luxury home where it may work a good bit cheaper but not always

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

If you build your own house you must pay 23% VAT on most materials purchased and 13.5 % on some materials and services

A VAT Registered builder is entitled to claim back this VAT.

The VAT reg builder will have to charge you 13.5 % VAT on the total build cost.

I've never seen this before, imo 99% of the time it's cheaper to build, especially in rural settings like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Build your own house, detached and away from others.

Include a GSM electric gate.

If in any doubt, read the thread here about the poor guy whose neighbour complains every time he makes coffee in the morning.

Ignore anyone who tells you to buy in an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If only there was some possible way of buying a particular style of house that didn't share walls with other houses without building your own?

We really can't continue to be building car-bound lifestyles where no-one in the family can leave the property without a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Yes, we can.

If you'd like to be stuck next door to neighbours you can never get rid of, then that's your choice and fair play to you.

I prefer the peace and quiet of my very detached home. I don't care about requiring a vehicle, not in the slightest!

Whether you care about your vehicle or not isn't the issue. Your car-bound lifestyle is damaging the planet every time you move. We have destroyed many towns and villages by enabling this kind of development, with all shopping going to out-of-town centres, no life within towns and villages. There is no justification for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ah the armchair social engineers who want to horse all those pesky humans into high density apartment blocks are after showing up !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Why not search a local area that you like and see whats for sale in that area? Plenty of good houses for sale at the moment that may suit your needs without having to go to the rounds and red tape of a new build.

As opposed to the armchair social engineers who want to destroy towns and villages and our planet, presumably?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

That isn't remotely true. Of course some people can build cheap, people in the construction industry or those with free sites etc etc but not most. For most of the last 12 years it has been possible to get large bungalows and other rural houses very cheaply, far cheaper than city prices. Yes some people can build cheaply but there is an economy of scale. The real reason to self build is you want to build your own vision or specific modern style or location. You claim self building is cheaper in rural areas, yes that is true but the cost of existing stock is far less than cities so this differential is not so important. In very rural areas, second hand is always going to be cheaper. You can buy liveable places for 150k...You cant build for that.

Advertisement