Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sash windows 2021

Options
  • 15-12-2021 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, we had sash windows fitted yesterday as part of an overall house renovation. There is disagreement between the fitter and basically everybody else as to how they should be finished. Our builder and architect have never seen it done like this and would expect this part of the window to be secured with small narrow nails. The screws look awful so would be interested to see if anybody else had sash windows fitted recently and could send me some photos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

It looks like there is no window board. Could that be used instead for the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

Surely filler will be used over the screw heads and painted, same would be the case if nails were used.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Padoreilly

Hi, as it is a full renovation the interior is not fully finished and plastering etc still to happen. These screws go around all 4 sides of the window.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Are you sure those screws are fixing the windows into the opes? The screws look like they are just fixings for the battens holding the sashes in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Staff beads are usually held in place with small oval nails, not screws, as they may need to be removed at some point in the future

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Them....staff beads....couldn't think of the name off top of my head! I have seen them fixed with screws.

I am learning a bit of terminology over that past 24hrs. The screws are fixing the sash beads. My builder and architect are off the few small pin nails should be used and then if you need access you carefully pry the sash bead out.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

This is not first class joinery. The screws holding the planted-on bead are unacceptable. The mitre between the cill, and stile planted-on beads is open. There is

a wad of silicone mastics at the corner of the pane of glass. (See photo). This was not done by a qualified Joiner. It is very poor workmanship. In the traditional Vertical Sliding Sash windows, all of the planted-on beads are fixed with 40 mm wire oval nails, to enable the beads to be removed to replace the sash chords.

You should also see the paint job....so bad. I can see myself just getting somebody else in to fix everything properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

I recommend either driving the screws in about 5 mm, fill over with internal Polyfilla. Fill the open mitre joint. Sandpaper over the polyfilla, paint with 2 coats of paint.

You could also remove the screws and fit screws with a smaller head and drive the heads down about 5 mm - and do as stated above.

Use a sharp knife to cut off the silicone which is protruding between the glass and the sash.

DO Not scratch the glass with the sandpaper. Before sandpapering over the polyfilla- apply masking tape to the glass - in next to the sash frame.

These planted on beads should have been fixed with a nail gun, or panelpins - NOT screws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Did those staff beads come with the brush seals pre fitted, ie routed into the bead,

or are the stuck on?

They don't look like conventional internal staff beads to me.

Also check the parting bead has the seal on the inside at the bottom and outside on the top.

Advertisement