Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It also has over 100 757s.

They're not returning to Shannon either unlike United or American.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Irish Examiner reporting it now too, that pre pandemic Delta we’re close to staring Cork-JFK on a 757

That would be some achievement if the airport can pull that one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭snotboogie

He's saying the runway can accommodate a 787 with 300pax?? That can't be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

The runway length is still an issue for transatlantic and I believe would rule out any widebody or 757 operations. The A220 is not ETOPS certified as far as I know nor is there a guarantee it would be suitable. Deltas new A321 neos due to be delivered next year are not the long range version that Aer Lingus have so no guarantee that would work either.

The issue is not can it do it on a standard day, the issue is can it do it with a full passenger compliment with strong jetstream headwinds and the need to carry extra fuel for storms in the U.S. If that can’t be guaranteed 99% of the time airlines will struggle to commit.

Runway length is not a massive issue for 757 operations, especially to JFK/Boston. They are really powerful machines.

I'd imagine if they planned it with a 757 it would be summer seasonal. Norwegian had issues making it over the Atlantic in the height of winter and that's without the issues they had with loads in January and February.

April-October 757 to JFK/BOS could just work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭thomil

I don't see runway length as an issue either. The 757-200 just needs 2050 meters of runway length on a full load with an air temperature of 30 degrees, so even with Cork's short runway, I can see this working out with minimal payload restrictions, if any at all, especially since Delta only have a maximum of 199 seats on their 757s, compared to the theoretical maximum of 239 seats.

The big question here is the commercial side of things. Will they be able to make any such flight turn a profit? On one side, there are more than enough US companies in and around Cork to provide a steady flow of non price-sensitive business travellers. My own employer is one of them and having a non-stop connection to the US East Coast would definitely be highly appreciated. In addition, having a single transfer option from the US west coast to Cork via either of Deltas Northeast Hubs (JFK, BOS) would also be very attractive for the likes of Apple or VMware.

On the other side, we have the non-business travel, which I think is far more of a gamble. In the over nine years I've lived in Cork, I've found that a lot of the people on Leeside are great when it comes to screaming and clamoring for everything under the sun, from transatlantic flights to light rail and so on. When it comes to actually using such service once provided though, they'll tuck their tails firmly between their legs and run to the hills (or Dublin Airport) while loudly complaining about the supposed inconveniences this service that they've cried for brings with them. Whether such a sensitive local customer pool is enough, combined with inbound tourist/family traffic from the US, to complement the business travelers on any Delta or other legacy carrier's transatlantic flights remains to be seen, especially since Delta will likely not be able to price their flights as aggressively as Norwegian did back in the day.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The big problem however is still pre-clearance. Drive to Shannon, you get preclearance and land at a domestic terminal. From Cork, you won't. Any time or convenience gone.

I wish Cork would stop talking about transatlantic personally. Concentrate more on EU+UK connectivity - Munich, increased Frankfurt and Zurich, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

..... its a fixation they have!! Every time they came close.... it died a death. I just don't get it !!!

Coming home from New York and getting into a taxi and being home in 10 minutes makes up for any time saving gained by preclearance in Shannon IMO. It’s when you land after a long flight in Cork and don’t have to face the long road home you gain a massive plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

What's to stop you booking a one way flight from DUB / SHN to the USA, and a separate flight from USA to Cork?

I've flown to the US via London once (so no preclearance) and the peace of mind, time saving and ease of preclearance almost warrants the trip to DUB or SHN.

• Advertisement

Getting to Shannon would be the issue there. Unless you rented a car in Cork and returned it in Shannon you’d be stuck with public transport which isn’t particularly attractive.

If the M20 was there, Shannon would be a very attractive option and Cork would have much less of a case for needing transatlantic. But that’s quite some time away and we have a Minister for Transport whose actively trying to put the kibosh on it so who knows when we’ll be able to debate the merits of using Shannon with a motorway to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

True - we rely on the airport buses so Shannon is never an option for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

Any time or convenience is gone? It's about a 4 hour round trip to Shannon by car for most people. I'd take the lack of pre-clearance over that death road everytime.

If they had a few regular transatlantic flights it wouldn't be long before there's calls to build a pre-clearance facility.

On your second point regarding more EU/UK destinations. There's no reason they can't work on growing both. I do agree they need more Euro routes, especially city break destinations.

Norwegian made a profit out of Cork with the Providence flight even though it was a fairly crap destination and didn't suit business travellers at all because it departed in the evening.

I can't see why a flight to New York or Boston wouldn't do well out of Cork.

If I remember correctly one of the travel agents used 757 aircrafts for holiday flights to Spain out of Cork back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DylanQuestion

I've seen peopple say a few time that transatlantic doing well in Cork could lead to pre-clearance. I saw airport high ups/politicians saying it wouldn't be needed for the Norweigen routes as Providence has short queues as it is a small airport - which won't be the same for JFK/Boston. What I want to know is why is Ireland so special for pre-clearance? Why doesn't every country not have it too?

Edelweiss Cork-Zurich now on sale, brought forward from July to April 15th

https://www.flyedelweiss.com/EN/fly/flight-information/timetable/Pages/cork.aspx

Post edited by marno21 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭whatever76

Links says Zurich ? Are they doing Geneva as well ?

Apologies corrected

Cork-Geneva is commencing this Sunday with Swiss, one weekly until March 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Swiss Air are doing both Zurich and Geneva. Edelweiss are selling tickets because it's a codeshare.

Handy, go on a little tour... fly into Zurich and out of Geneva.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Actually looks like Swiss have transferred the route to Edelweiss. Both airlines were available a few weeks ago,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭thomil

If that's the case then that means a capacity increase as well, as Edelweiss only Operate Airbus A320s. Well, technically they also operate A340s, but I doubt we'll see any of those pterodactyls here. They also don't appear to have a base in Geneva, which could indicate that those flights will remain with Swiss.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

It only seems to be operating on Mondays and Fridays, the other days are no longer on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

While not a direct link to the US, Nice to hear that American Airlines and Aer Lingus will be codesharing. You can now book flights from the US to Cork on the American Airlines website, with a transfer in Heathrow.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2022/American-Airlines-and-Aer-Lingus-Launch-New-Codeshare-Agreement-Offering-Customers-More-Choices-for-Travel-Between-the-US-and-Europe-NET-ALP-01/default.aspx

I asked this a few months ago but an interesting one to followup... are the restaurants/lounge in Cork open yet or is it still sandwich only with everything else shuttered?

Given the traffic in Cork at the moment I'd have hoped things were open fully again. Seem to be a decent number of flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

i passed through on St. Stephens day so i wouldn't take it as normal and the only thing open was WHSmith which was like scorched earth. It looked like AMT also had life in it so I assume that has reopened. Can't comment on the eating area or the pub.

It's quite busy there at times so I imagine the pub has surely also reopened but you'll need someone else to confirm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

Might be better to wait a bit, but are there any worthwhile day trips ex Cork? I have no interest in the UK, somewhere in mainland Europe that I could go to in one day and return that evening...

I have a few days hols to use ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

Amsterdam. Depart at 6am and get back in to Cork 22.10 that night. It's only 15-20 minutes on the train to and from the Airport, so you'll have plenty of time to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭.red.

Amsterdam is the only one I can think of for a day trip. Air France might be doing similar to KLM for the summer. Early departure and a late arrival. Not sure if its confirmed yet or could even just be rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

Jeez yeah, that's well doable, would be a nice trip in the spring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

Thanks folks - will definitely look into that - Amsterndam would be well worth doing!!

Advertisement