Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feeding Cattle Chicken/Turkey Feed

Options
  • 14-12-2021 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

I am hearing and seeing farmers feeding cattle chicken/turkey feed, what are the benefits over beef nuts if any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I thought that wasn't allowed, I was of the understanding that you needed an exemption to buy chicken feed. Remember buy a nice little store bullock one time and he melted.. vet was of the opinion the previous owner was probably feeding him chicken meal, he did came right after a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Arsenic used to be used as a growth promoter in turkey food , I doubt if it still used

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I heard some of the Pedigree Bull breeders using Turkey feed, I guess it promotes better growth and weight gain than standard Bull ration and costs a good bit less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

About 2years ago now, I was buying meal from the local co op,meal was being supplied from a well known in the north east animal feed miller.

Small quantities in barrels as was needed,literally overnight from the evening before it was brought home from co op, maggots appeared on the top of meal, climbing the inside of the barrel.

Maybe 6 to 10 initially, easy enough to pick em out, this was in December 19, so not exactly a time you'd expect to find maggots

Thought the issue was at my end, informed co op anyway, for about 3 mornings after a barrel was brought home every time maggots would be there waiting to be picked out

Barrels were washed before filling & a sound flat piece of plywood covering the barrels always. Nothing lying dead or rotten in yard.

Time moved on anyway,as in months later & maggots still presented on the top of the meal for picking out, strangely there seemed to be less as spring into summer arrived, couldn't figure that one out.

Co op had no answer, claimed their bin was clean & free of old meal & I was the only one finding maggots in meal.the miller sent a rep out one day to take a sample from barrel, haven't heard from him since.

Anyway changed miller, & no maggots since. One man more travelled than me said the Miller in question had been found sometime in the past to be mixing chicken litter into meal.

Op, thread title just reminded me of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

If that's true I'm surprised you didn't have a lot of your livestock die from botulism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yes I know of a fella not far from started buying turkey feed around the time angel dust was being stamped out. He claimed it to be good stuff.

Like you say all those growth promoters are gone from such feed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Likely soldier fly maggots.

Humans eat them, as can cows, and are very nutritional.

Although I'm not sure if they would survive the weather in Winter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Since the BSE/vCJD crisis is meat and bone meal used in poultry feed in Ireland - I know it's not used in cattle or sheep feed. I used to buy Connelly/Red Mills poultry grower and layers pellets for hens that I kept at home and it didn't contain any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Well the maggots in the meal are true.their origin I don't know that, as for the chicken litter been added to meal by the Miller in question, obviously I can't prove that one, thankfully cattle were 100% eating the same meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Chicken litter is acceptable feed for cattle in some countries, but I think it's banned in Europe.

I'm sure it has to be treated for bacteria

• Advertisement
Advertisement