Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mechanic has my car 8 months.

Options
  • 14-12-2021 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

I had an accident in my car about two miles from my house back in April. The front of the car was badly damaged. Anyway a person came to my assistance and rang a local garage.

Mechanic came out and towed the car, gave me his number to call him in a few days.

Since then I have been on the phone to him twice a week looking for updates. Initially he was sourcing parts, then there was the constant "updates" on what work was taking place with the car.

8 months on i am still waiting on my car. Its no exaggeration to say I have asked him on 20 separate occasions to get me an itemised list on the parts he got for the car. I'm still waiting.

The latest from him last week was that he just had to put the right colour on the car. I'm due to ring him today but to be honest I'm going to explode at him if he delays again. I've tried to be calm because I'm afraid he will push the price up if I get angry.

He did give us a replacement car but I want my own car back. Its a 2021 Dacia Sandero Stepway that I got in January and I'm paying 380 a month for it. I'm beyond furious at this stage. Do I have any legal recourse or do I just have to suck it up until I get my car back? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Alarms bells should ring when they come out and tow your car

Usually a kings ransom to get it back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

In hindsight I totally agree, however at the time I was a bit dazed and not thinking straight. Plus there was a huge q of cars waiting to get by (narrow country road). If it ever happens again I will get AA to tow it to my house first (though hopefully there will be no more accidents).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

That's not fair. There are lost of garages that would tow a car and would be very reasonable and would be completely above board

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

First stop ringing him to only get fobbed off. Go speak to him face to face and check on your car. He could have been driving around in your car for the last 8 months for all you know. Your not going to resolve this over the phone after 8 months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'd be going to the garage with the spare key and getting into my car and driving off. It's your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jmreire

Maybe not, would depend on the individual and circumstances, if its not an insurance job and if he is getting the repair job, then he may well go easy on the tow charges. But hindsight being what it is, before any work was started, he should have provided an estimate for the repairs, parts and costs in writing and getting the owners agreement before starting work. Then if the owner disagreed, nothing to stop him getting a 2nd opinion from another repairer, and actually getting the 2nd repairer to collect the vehicle from this garage, and take it to his own workshop. The Car owner would of course have to pay the tow charges to the first garage before they would release the car. While the time frame seems excessive given the present circumstances world wide re parts ( or anything else either) supply it well may be all legitimate. When you hear about delivery of new cars being delayed from between 6-9 mths due to chip shortages, it kinda puts it in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

is this going through the insurance company?

Sorry. I should have said. I have also been to the garage a good amount of times. The car is there so he hasnt sold it or anything :) Just so annoying. Causing ructions with my partner as they keep telling me to calm when talking to him in case he charges a whack of money when we do eventually get it back. Anyway I am going to go to the garage after work and have it out with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Is the insurance paying for all the work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What was the actual extent of the damage?

How much was the estimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don't do that without making an agreement over the bill.

No. My partner had a bad accident in our previous car in November 2020. Wrote the car off so luckilly he was ok and I was able to get a loan of a car for the 6 weeks until the new year and then we bought the new car. We went through our insurance then. The damage to the front of the car when I had my crash (foot slipped and i hit a ditch) didnt seem too extensive but thats just my laymans view. For the first 7 weeks or so the mechanic said he was still trying to source materials so couldnt give a price until he got them. Then when I rang him the following week he had started work on it and that is when I started asking for prices for the parts he got and its been this long running saga since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If the front of your three month old car was badly damaged, why didn't you go through insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

8 months.... Come on

Seems fairly unbelievable. You could probably have fixed it yourself in that time.

How badly damaged was it OP? Did you get him to give you a report on what would need to be fixed to get it roadworthy again? You may also need to get an engineers report saying it is roadworthy.

8 days would be a push for most repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you have the car on PCP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I think when the OP used the term "new car", they meant new to them.... not a brand new car (I hope anyway). To be paying HP/PCP/Car Loan for 8 months on something that is not usable would be a little crazy.

OP: Call the mechanic and tell them you are going to the premises at a certain time of the next day. Turn up at that time and look at the condition of your car and ask what work has been done (they should have plenty of notice in the 24 hours or so you are giving to be able to collate all the info). If the car is driveable in it's now current state, pay the outstanding bill for the work that was done and take your car elsewhere to be finished. Even with component shortages these days, there is no way it should take 8 months to repair a car. Have you been without a car for all this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

It's a 2021 Dacia so it was a brand new car. Why you didn't bring it straight back to the dealer and their service team but chose a local garage on a brand new car is absolutely baffling. Letting him have it more than a fortnight is absolute madness.

M

They said "Its a 2021 Dacia Sandero Stepway that I got in January and I'm paying 380 a month" so would assume a brand new car.

I must be going VERY blind in my old age 😂

No idea why someone would not go through insurance for a brand new car and then leave it for 8 months. It has cost just over €3k in car payments to leave it sitting around in the corner of a garage! Perhaps there is more to this story than the OP has said. He/She needs to get down to that garage and sort it out. Bring the partner along too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Id hate to see the bill you are going to get off this guy :)

M

Also if it's PCP, the repairs will need to have been through authorised repairer and not Fred In His Shed type outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

OP - Something here does not add up. No garage would want to be keeping a car that long unless the bill was not being paid or else the owner told them to keep it as the repair bill was too large.

You need to avoid phone calls & go directly to the garage. And if the car is not driveable then you need more information on what the hell is going on.

Keep us updated.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Thanks for all the replies folks. Believe me if I could turn back time I would and do it all differently. Reason I didn't go through insurance was that my partner had an accident a few months earlier in our old car and the insurance went up a good bit and I didn't want it to go to a Sky high premium after my accident.

Anyway its been a learning experience for sure and I'm (literally) paying the price now. The only good thing I will say about the mechanic is that he has provided us with a car for the whole period.

Anyway, I'm off to the garage now to have it out with him. Thanks again

Going and having chat with him is the right thing to do, for sure, but keep cool . Walk around the car, and let him explain the whys and wherefores of the situation. Compared to normal times, the delay seems a bit excessive, but then again, these are not normal times....he has supplied you with a car ( and for sure, the car he loaned you is aging and losing value while this is going on too ) World logistic supply chains are still in a mess, so his parts problem could well be true.

How did you get on with the garage OP? Hopefully you got some form of resolution.

Well he started by saying he would be doing the respray of the bonnet on Thursday and it "should" be ready next week.

I told him it wasn't acceptable, but I that he had said last Friday he was doing the respray on Saturday just gone and that I wanted the car back on Saturday and that if I had to stay in the garage until he did it I would. I also once again asked him for a price breakdown for the parts he bought. He gave the usual "oh yeah I will sort that out". I told him Ive heard that on numerous occasions and that I wanted the bill today.

So if I don't get it I'm going back down to him after work.

He is going to spray the bonnet..is the bonnet the only thing that needs painting? Because when painting a damaged car...all of the damaged metal needs to be painted and at the same time.....even if it was only the bonnet, he will have to "fade out" the paint on to the adjoining panels to blend it in. Were the headlights front grille and front bumper damaged?, how about engine and steering parts parts? Front windscreen??? Can you try and describe the actual damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

You got fobbed off again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

There's something extremely fishy about this story.

Advertisement