Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trade in or sell privately?

Options
  • 14-12-2021 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I have a quick question and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2010 Audi A4. It needs quite a lot of work done and a local mechanic reckons it’ll be €1,500 to have it NCT ready.

I plan on selling it as soon as it passes the NCT. What I’m wondering is would I be better off trading it in now or paying for the repairs and selling it privately?

Would a garage accept it without the repairs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A garage will give you next to nothing for a 12 year old car that requires €1500 worth of work done to it. Equally it's worth very little as a private sale in it's current state. It's certainly worth more with a fresh NCT and investing €1500 may not be the worst idea in order to sell it? Surely a good 2010 A4 with a fresh NCT would be worth 4k or 5k privately? What exactly needs fixing that is costing €1500 for it to get through the NCT? Clutch/flywheel, timing belt? Maybe price around a different mechanic to see if it can be fixed cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

What sort of mileage are we looking at?

SE or Sline?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 GaryB1

90k miles and it’s an SE

it needs brake pads, brake callipers, a new water pump and 4 wishbones. 

Does €1,500 sound right for all the above?

Post edited by GaryB1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

If your going to be trading it in I wouldn’t be mentioning any of the above. They are professionals let them figure it out for themselves

I’d put it through the NCT first and see what it fails on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Sounds crazy expensive to me but thankfully I'm not very au fait with garage/dealer prices for repairs. For a parts reference I changed the front discs and pads, front wishbones, ball joints and inner tie rods on my 2007 Volvo S60 for €290 a few months ago.

Did you try pricing all the components separately to get an estimate of parts vs labour or checking with a different garage for a quote on required work needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have a 2010 Audi A4. It needs quite a lot of work done and a local mechanic reckons it’ll be €1,500 to have it NCT ready.

Put it through the NCT and see what it fails on; I doubt the mechanic will guarantee that it'll pass the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Ate the callipers and brake pads front or rear ?

Front callipers spurious are 100 ish a piece. Rear 200 ish a piece

If you are doing a water pump you will be doing the timing belt too. Around 400 to 500 fitted.

Id question if the wishbones need to be done. Ive a 09 A4 with over 250k miles on it and wishbones have never been touched

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Advertisement