Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake Pad fell off car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its good to see that even though the boards software has changed, that the "consumer law sale of goods act" lads are still the same. As in, they still don't have a clue what they are talking about.

When you touch a car you become responsible for it indefinitely, don't you remember signing that contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be honest, as per your second paragraph there, that's all anyone would be expecting but you have argued against this all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I think some people misconstrued that I was blaming the garage. I was seeking opinions from others who may have better knowledge than me.

The garage worked on the car six months ago because the cylinder in the clutch went. They replaced it, changed the timing belt and did other work which cost over €1,000. So I’m not a person who is trying to avoid paying for work as some people seemed to state here.

I bought the car second hand from another main dealer in another county in November 17. It had a full dealer service history then and has only been worked on by the main dealer in my own county since. Services have always been completed on time.

The garage’s exact line to me leaving was “that’s you done for a long while now” when I paid in June. They did have the brake pads as an orange item on the service doc stating they should be changed at the next service.

Since then, the car has been used 2-3 times most weeks but has only covered less than 2500kms.

I’ve changed garage now to the garage that works on my other car. It’s a main dealer for a rival brand but I really don’t have faith in the garage after the brake pad part fell out - maybe it’s not their fault but my confidence is gone. As others have said, I’m lucky it fell out when I was just reversing slowly at home.

The brake pads and discs have been replaced and I’m told the hub was also replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Whocare

Nearly had an Fatal crash went pad separated from backing plate on me few years ago. Coming down hills to T Junction going about 80km hit brakes Pedal went to the floor straight out cross Junction if was car or truck on coming game over . In my case it was cheap brake pads Mintex pads that was only changed at most 2 years before hand back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's a good job that consumer law means that a company has to stand over their work. The fact that you keep going on about warranty shows how little you know an

I pity your customers.

Show me where in the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act that I'm wrong and I'll happily stop posting advice to others that they have very strong protection under consumer laws when dealing with the motor trade. Prove I've no clue what I'm talking about instead of saying it.

Here's the Act as you appear to not know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Buffman

Glad you got sorted OP.

In fairness, I don't think anyone was saying you were being a 'cheapskate' when it came to maintenance. 👍️

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Del, they didn't work on the brakes. There's nothing to stand over.

Whats hilarious about you lads is that you use the same logic as those freeman on the land cranks, you think shouting "consumer law" "sale of goods act" is some magic word that automatically wins the case.

What you always, always fail to do is demonstrate exactly why a far reaching act applies in this or any specific situation.

Show you where you are wrong? You haven't even said anything to disprove, you haven't shown which part of the act applies here or what the basis of a judgement would be. No, all you do is shout "sale of goods act" as if that is all it takes.

You may as well have just said, "The LAW says they have to pay for it".

• Advertisement

The car has a full dealer service history!! But then you don't think that businesses have to stand over their work, so as I said I pity your customers.

So there's nothing in the Act which says I'm incorrect. Thanks.

And people wonder why the motor trade has such a bad reputation. No idea of the law and zero customer service and think that once out of warranty it's the end all of their responsibility.

Very notable that you still don't explain why the act applies here.

You don't even try to. That says it all, you clearly haven't a clue why the act would apply.

Its like saying that the OP is covered by the Customs act 2015 and then when called on it just claim that there is nothing in the act that says you are incorrect. Its amazingly ignorant.

But they never replaced the brakes!

The brake pad was acceptable at last service but flagged as due for replacement at next service. They didn't build the car, it's several years out of warranty.

If the engine threw a rod after the service should the garage be paying for a new one because they service the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Forget about who replaced the pads and warranties for a second. Focus on what failed. Its a genuine manufacturers serviceable part that failed before well before its end of life unexpectedly. Sh*t goes wrong with cars and thats life, been there done that, but a supposedly high quality OEM part thats la few years old?

I hate this sale of good crap as much as the next guy but this falls directly within that category, its not unreasonable to expect for these pads not to fail like this, its a defective part.

What kind of conversations would solicitors be having if there was a serious accident involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭9935452

To be fair , assuming the parts were the original brake pads , they are 6 years old minimum, could be more .

Any parts that you buy new , you get a year or 2 years warranty with it . I dont see this as any different.

Parts fail especially wearing parts.

Personally id say what caused this was the car essentially lying idle for 6 months , most likely the car has practically nothing done for the last 2 years with covid .

I know when i wash my car , if i dont drive it and dry out the back discs and pads will be stuck the following morning. Combine this with car lying up, maybe with frost, i wouldnt be surprised they failed in the way they did.

I dont know what kind of conversation they'd be having, but I'd imagine they'd be making you well aware of the costs of trying to fight to get a manufacturer to stand over a 6 year/ 100,000+ km old brake pad that was flagged as close to end of life 6 months previously.

Warranty has nothing to do with this and constantly saying the warranty is out is irrelevant.

What the issue here is that a person was told that their car with a main dealer service history was good to go till the next service. A part that's obviously got a lot of corrosion has fallen off after 5 months a few thousand km, what inspections were the main dealer doing to not notice the badly corroded parts? If the pads where 6 years old that's an even bigger miss be the dealer.

They where told you are good till the next service, which company does 6 month or 5k km service intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Have you confirmed if it is from your car... i expect not as i do not think it is possible for a brake pad to fall out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

It certainly is possible. I have seen it a few times.

In relation to spotting the corrosion between the friction material and backing plate, that would be near impossible to see without removing and inspecting all 8 brake pads at each service. That just doesn't happen. Should it? Maybe. But standard practice is to report on how much friction material is left. Which is what they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

It is possible, Happened to me about 6 months ago, Pad was overdue to be changed though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've not seen an oe quality pad lose its friction material other than when down to about 3mm and it just breaks off.

Shite aftermarket pads I have seen come apart many times.

It's a safety critical item and it failed. It's not acceptable - simple as that.

If you advertise this then you'd better be doing better inspections than a quick visual of the friction material

"Whether you have a new or used ŠKODA, you can choose a ŠKODA Service Plan that covers either two or three services.

COVER INCLUDES:

• Oil and filter changes.
    • Complete vehicle health check."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That happened to my 2nd car. Left sitting for long periods, did less around 1500 in the year of the first lockdown. One morning, brake was sticking as went to pull off and it ripped off the lining. Did no damage other needed new pads. Don't they suggest you start and move a car you're not using exactly to prevent this.

That looks the metal backing in the pic... it also looks like it has had no contact from piston for a time... i would not be surprised if i am wrong and it is just the braking part of the pad...

I think if i had a 5 year old car and the complete pad came off i would be talking to whoever manufactured the car as it be design fault...

The OP may decide to let us know...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would be curious as to how complete 'complete' is. were you to be a pedant, you could argue that it means they check every single part on the car, as well otherwise, it's not complete.

I already responded above and said I have lost faith in the dealer so I went to a different garage and they have replaced the brake pads, discs and the hub.

Car driving like a dream now.

My question was it the metal backing or the pad attached to same that fell to ground... if the metal backing fell to the ground there is a serious problem with the car...

For me it basically cannot happen... Not much point in trusting anyone if this can happen...

I put up a picture of the part that came off. It’s been looked at by a different garage and repaired and running well. I’m not technically minded so didn’t ask for the ins and outs of exactly what came off because it might as well be Dutch to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Would you care to tell me how you know what the life expectancy is on a set of pads - or any other part for that matter. I could be a millionaire overnight if I knew the when something was going to fail.

The facts are the car is almost 6 years old with 107000 on the clock.FWIW I dont think Ive ever seen a set of pads last 107k and Id question if they were done before - the car could have been almost 2 years old when the OP bought it.

Pads were inspected and it was "advised" that they need changing at next service based on the amount of friction material left - we`re not Nostradamus able to tell when something is going to fail. We dont have a crystal ball that we can look into and tell a customer that their brake pad is going to fall out sometime in December 2021.

2000km later this happens to the OP which is unfortunate but not the fault of either the garage or the manufacturer. Brake pads are a wear and tear item and lookign at the brake pad it looks like a caliper has possibly seized, worn the pad down to the metal and it fell out. So while it may have been ok at the inspection with the dealer its possible for a caliper to seize and this to happen within 2000 kms.

Like most of these threads theres sometimes a bit more to this than we`re being told -Id be asking why did they fit a hub.

I cant see any reason why a hub would be fitted when doing brake pads and discs. Unless the bearing was so bad that there was uneven wear on the brake pad which caused the issue in the first place. Possibly missed by the first dealer or the bearing failed since it was inspected.

Theres something not sitting right with me with this - theres always a reason for a failure of a component and in this case something caused that pad to fall out.

Either cheap pads fitted previously , seized caliper or that hub that was fitted.

Advertisement