Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EU Proposal on calf transportation. NO MOVE UNDER 35DAYS

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Yes, because cattle don't produce enough emissions... Lets start flying them across the globe lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

teagasc are suppose to be researching the air transport, if they can do it for horses going to australia for breeding or racing im sure a 1.5 hour trip to holland with all of these idel planes can be arranged.....and air transport is not included in carbon calculations so our calves would have an extremly low carbon footprint....

have they snuck in pregnant animals cant travel if over 6 months pregnant as well in the EU directive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ginger22

here we go again with the smart arse anti farming comment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

MOD

@LawBoy2018 You are entitled to post here. Still. However, your comments show a lack of understanding of farming. What is a casual discussion for you, is a serious problem to the livelihood of others. It is being discussed here in a serious fashion. Be aware of that in your posting please.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Anybody figure the only people that are going to benefit by this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

You're making assumptions without any foundation, I come from a farming background myself. I'll continue to post here however I like, just like the other posters. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

He has made a valid point in the post above. On one hand farmers are critical of flying avocado's or whatever the flavour of the day is around the world but see flying calves as ok as it suits their agenda. The same lads would be complaining about air travel been the big contributor to the climate problem but again if it suits there own agenda there happy to be on board.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

No. No, you won't!

Take a couple days off and go read the charter.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

If you wish to discuss moderation, do it by PM. Just this once to answer you quickly, he has made some good points but he is coming across badly. I asked him to be sensitive to the thread matter under discussion.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

It will be turned into another stick to beat the image of agriculture with whatever way it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭green daries

Might be very efficient show me the figures says it's not ..........planes don't have emissions don't you know 😉

Fing horse's for god's sake 🙄🙄🙄🙄 that is a real polluting industry with no real need to exist at all

Ya it's definitely not right that stuff is flown round the world. especially when it has the highest cost pollution wise on the planet of I think anything else produced.

Flying is criticised by farmers as they are polluting but have a complete free pass as there emissions aren't calculated or included in the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 18,154 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Flying calves was a brain fart that arose during the last IFA presidential election. A candidate proposed it without any research on the feasibility or costings on it and that is even if either airports would allow it or commercial air transport companies would have any interest. It was similar with upwards only convergence.

There is a big difference between flying a horse worth 5-20 million to Australia and flying hundred of thousands of 50-60 euro calves to Holland.

Personally I can never see it happening it a red herring just like upward only convergence proved to be

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

Aeroplane emissions are not counted, so leave out that argument.

And if you do want to arguue fair, count in the flight emissions, but also count in the carbon the grass has extracted from the atmosphere (which is more than the cow emits)..

The climate debate is built around a farcical set of inventory figures. Flights are excluded as are carbon removals by herbage.

Consequently agriculture, and particularly bovines, have been hung out to dry.

Calculations actually show cows emitting less carbon( even as a CO2 equivalent) than they consume in their feed, a combination of grass, silage and grain, all which have taken carbon from the atmosphere, of which less than half is emitted through belching (methane) and respiration (CO2).

Respiration isn't taken into account in the inventories either..ie any respiration, from farm animals, wild animals, pets, humans...

There seems to be some sort of assumption that animals breath out an amount of carbon, which they took into their bodies as food, which originally was taken out of the atmosphere by plants..all of which is too difficult to count...so it is ignored..

And subsequently Cows are getting ridden bareback in the discussions..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I don’t believe a Bobby calf situation will ever happen here, and rightly so.

public perception is everything and there is no way it could be sold to the public.

even in the uk, aren’t the supermarkets putting emphasis on calf welfare now.

I agree with you. Yes the supermarkets are really bothered by animal welfare......as in its consumer driven optics ......... farmers welfare not soooo much and that's also consumer driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A Bobby calf scenario is even less likely than a State sponsored cull of farmers.

The need for it can be argued but it's never going to be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Good loser

That's very very interesting. A new slant (to me). Shows how interconnected and complicated the whole issue is.

I suspect by 10 and 20 years time the arguments will have gone through many somersaults.

Now I think you may have caught on to something.......but can I ask which Bunch of farmers are to be culled. I'm not in favour of the slightly older dairy farmers 🤣😂👍🤠

Advertisement