Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First-time buyer: best choice among Maynooth, Balgriffin, Greystone

• 08-12-2021 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, Planning to buy our first home.

Which one should I consider: Maynooth, Balgriffin, Greystone (as per my budget)

Can you please provide suggestions based on a few factor: commute to Dublin 4, amenities, safety and crime, schools (secondary schools with support to special child), amusement

Regards,

Prithwish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I don't get it ?

Greystones is much more expensive than the other two and none of them are close to each other

Very random short list ?

Maynooth is a fine location BTW, Greystones better though and prices reflect that

Both Greystone and Maynooth have train service to Dublin, Maynooth is a college town ,its similar in size to greystones but no beach unlike greystones

Balgriffin is the only one in Dublin itself but probably cheapest to buy of the three?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 prithwish

Hi M&M, The list is not random. All are chosen based on about one hour travel time to Ballsbridge. Based on budget, in Maynooth and Balgriffin I found houses while in Greystone it is an apartment. I can not buy in Ballsbridge anyway.

But I have no idea about all the three places mentioned above. That's why I asked in the forum about the pros and cons of each area.

Regards,

P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

You will learn about those places by visiting them at different times of the day and night. Talk to people around there. Try to find a short term rental and live there for a few weeks and learn about the pluses and minuses.

It is a bizarre short list if an hour commute to Ballsbridge is your key determinant. It seems you have a decent budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭you2008

sea level

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're not a very consistent group. Greystones and Maynooth would be more expensive, posh or trying to be posh towns; Balgriffin is cheaper suburbia.

In Greystones, are you looking at actual Greystones or out in Charlesland (and hence a huge distance from the train station)? Greystones is vastly dearer than the other two

Maynooth has more, albeit slower trains and vastly more buses in to Dublin than Greystones does. It hasn't got the seaside or the high end food shops of Greystones but it does have full scale supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 prithwish

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Actually, I am looking at Blacklion Manor in Greystone. Is this a decent estate? I don't have any idea. Regards, Prithwish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Based on your areas, it seems that you are looking for new builds?

If so, I think in Balgriffin/Clongriffin area all houses are sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

An hour is too long for me and I would rule out anything that isn't on the same train line with no changes.

If budget or size of property are not factors I'd go for the more upmarket location. Being near the sea and closer access to the SE has other benefits outside of work.

Advertisement