Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Call the Gardai?

Options
  • 11-12-2021 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭

Boardsies we need some opinions and advice here.

Arrived home yesterday evening to find that the Christmas celebrations had commenced next door sometime mid afternoon. Family next door is mother in her early 40s (no English and very unfriendly) her boyfriend (mid 20s some English very in your face) her 3 kids (2 boys early 20s late teens 1 girl around 12). They are both heavy drinkers especially on the weekend but manage to hold down full time jobs.

The music is loud, the high jinx are loud but listen, it’s Friday night so who cares??

We head to bed around 1am and they seem to be winding down but at 4 am we are awoken by WW3. He’s raging ranting and roaring out of control. The sound of bottle after bottle smashing against the dividing wall is mixed with her screaming in terror and general bedlam. She’s clearly getting another beating. Please bear in mind that her own 2 sons are there.

If continues for around 25 minutes until it stops suddenly. We called the Gardai another night when she was laying in front of his car in an effort to stop him from moving, but we couldn’t decide last night.

They will leave the house on foot shortly, hand in hand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

If it’s a regular thing why would you bother with the Gardai?

You could start a blog though

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Apologies, didn't spot the bit about the Violence, absolutely call the Gardai , might help if you've recorded anything etc

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

A woman is getting a beating and you have to ask about if you should be calling the Gardai or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If someone’s being beaten up, absolutely call the Gardai!

• Advertisement

The woman aint the OP's problem... He's likely wondering if he'll get any satisfaction from the Gardaí, and is on here wondering about it.. They're foreigners, so probably not; but, then again, if they both have jobs, then there's the possibility of fines etc for some reason the rozzers may concoct..

The kids surely have mobile phones - let them ring the emergency services.

If you’re hesitating, it usually means calling the gardai is the correct course of action. Don’t over think it- give them as full a picture as you can and let them decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yes its the right thing to call them but you should also be prepared for what comes after when they realise it was probably you who got the Guards involved.

And before anyone jumps on me I'm not for one second suggesting its not the right thing to do calling the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

if there’s any question then I want to say here that I’m a woman in rather dodgy health myself. Im often here at night on my own when husband is on night shift. If the Gardai came last night then it’s clear that it was us who called them. So we would be to blame if he were arrested.

To be honest I suppose I am afraid of the repercussions for me if they decide that I’m the cause of bringing trouble on them. She is quite literally enslaved to him. Her marriage to the father of her children ended because of heavy drinking and multiple infidelities on both sides. She’s now got this young guy and she will quite literally die before she’ll let him go. I feel sorry for the young girl though. She lives mostly with her father but the weekends with her mother are spent watching them behaving like a couple of sailors on shore leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

How can you not want to help a women getting beaten?

Of course you call the gardai, not serious if this is a troll thread or not?

• Advertisement

Yes this is what’s stopping me. He’s a very aggressive macho impetuous head strong young man who won’t take kindly to any interference. And I’m too old to have to start dealing with a feud.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

I don't envy you op. Personally if it was me, I'd be calling the Gardai quick smart, especially if someone is being beaten up.

Also, you don't say if they're the home owners or are tenants of the property, if it's the latter, I'd also be getting on to the landlord, and let them know in no uncertain terms that their tenants are causing you problems, and ask them to deal with it.

That’s all very well until this lunatic is smashing my windows at 2am because I brought the Gardai in on him….

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

Hasn’t she two sons grown men who can help her ?

If she has been getting beaten before and still hanging around with him that’s her problem as she is an adult and make her own choices.

She s in her 40s and boyfriend same age as her kids ffs let her sort it out herself .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Frankly it depends on what Garda you get.

Some have zero empathy and zero interest for domestic violence and some are superb.

Some make assumptions and decide to put an investigation on a one track road, others will get medical professionals involved.

Problem is you don't know which you will get.

There is also absolutely nothing the OP can do if the woman in question does not want to change her life. Calling the police achieves nothing if she doesn’t want to press charges or changes her story later.

Fair enough if she was looking for help but she clearly isn’t, so there is zero point in getting involved.

She bought him a car. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s trying to get pregnant by him to try and hold on to him. I think if her own kids call the Gardai she’ll probably throw them out. Look thanks everyone for the views. I have to protect myself and my own family first.

FAmily First.. Agree with you all the way. Suggest this woman would turn on you in an instant.. they always do to support their scummy boyfriend

Not actually correct.

If there are ongoing issues if domestic violence and the injured party withdraws their complaint, then Gardai can indeed prosecute without their consent.

• Advertisement

And the delightful folk will continue living as they were. You can’t help people like that.

It couldn’t be anyone else. We are the second last house in the row and they are the last. There’s no one else around to complain. He’s very volatile. A kind of a man child. A reckless driver. Very loud. No boundaries. No manners. I just don’t want anything at all to do with him. He was out of control throwing empty bottles around inside that house at 4am with a young teenager in her bedroom nearby. She must have been terrified.

Surely if they are that loud it could be anyone.

Anyway, you want to stay out of it and clearly have your own ideas about what happens in their relationship, so continue as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Have you ever confronted the man ?

they are the other half of our semi detached. The dividing wall is paper thin. When I am in the kitchen even with the radio on I can hear the kettle being switched on next door. If you’re in our downstairs loo you can literally hear every word. I’m not the most observant person but it’s very hard to ignore his behaviours as he’s a terribly inconsiderate person. He’s not bothering me and I want it to stay that way. I merely wanted peoples opinions as to wether I should have sought help from the Gardai or not when it was clear that he was attacking her.

'. I merely wanted peoples opinions as to wether I should have sought help from the Gardai or not when it was clear that he was attacking her.'

Read this op, what do you think is the right thing to do?

Should you call gardai when you know a man is attacking his partner.

She doesn’t speak English, as I mentioned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Guards should be called and perhaps, more importantly, Tusla. Witnessing domestic violence is cause for a report. There is a minor at risk.

• Advertisement

I’m satisfied I did the right thing actually. I have to protect myself and my own family first . I have to remind you that her sons were both there, fine big men. They did nothing to rescue their mother as far as I could establish. That’s because she will most likely throw them out if they do. They have no family here. Where will they go?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement