Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ashes 2021-22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Watched two sessions last night so missed the fireworks from Head. Labuschagne's judgement in leaving is a lesson for the English. Wood, Robinson and Woakes all did very well. Best I've seen Wood I think. Stokes did well too until later. Let down by dopey fielding. Rory Burns straight after lunch worst of all.

This game is gone unless a miracle happens. England need to at least make Australia bat again or this series will get ugly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,774 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Joe Root quite mad captaincy...Stokes bowling to Head without a single slip...

Leach has conceded 97 runs from his 12 overs... that’s even shitè for limited overs.

Butler now with a drop, one he should have taken but Wood takes a wicket next ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have always thought that Burns' technique looks like somebody on Crystal Meth. But after getting out in the first innings the way he did, and still doing it in the second innings, I think he may be actually on crystal meth.

It was also an act of cowardice in leaving it to Hameed to take the first delivery. A real man would have imposed himself to say I am taking the first ball.

Burns gone sixth ball after lunch, 23-1.... dreadful shot... the line of that delivery was way too straight for the shot but that extra bounce off a decent length didn’t help.

See what Malan can do.... An experienced test cricketer who averages.....28.62 considering he’s played 17 tests you’d have to think he’s lucky to be in the team... especially batting at 3....solid county record but not being translated into test cricket.

• Advertisement

England consolidated and were going well when Hameed tries to glance a ball down to third man rather then trying a more orthodox pull shot, it was too short a delivery for that effort he’d been going well but he won’t look back at that shot with much fondness... neither will his teammates, England’s fans or their management...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Great from Root and Malan but I think this predicted score says quite a lot about England's lower middle order and tail!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just on this. I think England have, for the longest time, rotated the strike between first and second innings. Certainly Cook and Strauss always did and I think Cook continued the policy with the hundreds of openers tried in the years after Strauss retired also.

Edit: on reading a match report it seems he did indeed bottle it. He probably has two innings to save his career I think, if he even gets another chance.

Post edited by Doodah7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Being realistic, I think either Root or Malan need to make a 'daddy' hundred or Stokes or Buttler make one of their own for England to have a chance of saving the game.

The scores also show that winning the toss was not an advantage in this Test. If Root had put Australia in it is likely they would have racked up a big score anyway. No way to win that argument really.

Didn't see any of that big partnership yet so don't know if they rode their luck or anything like that. It's not like Australia didn't bat like a cat with nine lives. Warner alone was one cat on his own.

It is a relief to see they weren't blown away. Root especially. Talk about the complete opposite of Rory Burns, showing why textbook orthodox is always best aside from a handful of outliers.

Is there some concern with Hazelwood not bowling. That would be a big blow.

• Advertisement

a savage effort by Malan and Root really... but they have to be there tomorrow at lunch though if England are to have a chance...

If that happens, and England go to lunch say with a lead of 30 or 40 there is something to hold on to.

with the weather set fair, lots of time left in the game, Stokes, Pope, Buttler, Wokes and Robinson need to put on 200 plus between them, coupled with another hundred or so on the board from the partnership of Malan and Root....

a fairly hefty ask... I’d say the English were hoping to lose a bit of time due to weather but Brisbane weather looks set fair right through ...

Australia firm favorites in spite of the Malan and Root fightback.

Final test has been changed to a day / night test in Hobart, utilizing a pink ball...hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Fair play to Cricket Australia for deciding to move the Ashes to a new city as opposed to repeating Melbourne/Sydney for extra cash and competitive advantage. I suspect they'll already have the ashes by the time it gets to Hobart anyway.

New venue fine, pink ball... day / night ? Don’t know about that one....would England have had to be consulted and agree ?

Malan gives his wicket away, I think he just lost patience....advancing down the pitch to a spinner with a rather close silly mid on... poor batting..

Root with a similarly awful shot, looks as if he’s in two minds to play it or leave it, hangs it and the ball takes the edge...

Game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭MFPM

After the application and determination of yesterday, it's unravelled today in less than half hour even before the new ball. England saving the game was still a long shot unless the weather intervened but it's gone now...Australia could win this today.

Australia could win this without batting again at this rate.

I was just saying to myself... “ Buttler looks in decent touch how long until he fûcks up without making a decent score “.. about 2 minutes was the answer... typical Jos... the middle order just falling asunder again..

another goddam awful excuse for a cricket shot....

223/3 to 273/7.... jeez

Classic England. Started the session two down, ended it all out. Too easy for Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

So disappointing after yesterday. 20 to win. It’s possible they’ll get them :)

English about to get beaten in three and a quarter days... doesn’t bode at all well for the series, one thing getting beat but the manner of defeat..

From a runs point of view...2 scores of 50 or more and only a total of 4 batsmen scoring more then 20... including those two 50+ scores..... That’s just dogshît.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭MFPM

Facile victory in the end for Australia. Adelaide probably offers England a better prospect, you'd expect Anderson (if fit) and Broad have to come in for Leach and probably Woakes. Not sure they'll make changes to their batting lineup yet but a few of them are on thin ice. Issues around Warner and Hazelwood for Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Looking at the English squad they are desperately short of batting options.

loads of bowling options p, a bewildering number but if the selected top 5/6 are not putting runs on the board... they have feck all options aside from Dan Lawrence, who is 24, relatively inexperienced, 8 tests and not many runs...averages 27.33 with three 50’s to his name...not a great option to have to fall back on.

another reason why you’d be questioning the management/leadership in the side...

• Joe Root (captain/Bat)
    • James Anderson (Bwl)
    • Jonny Bairstow (Wkt/Ar)
    • Dom Bess (Bwl)
    • Stuart Broad (Bwl)
    • Rory Burns (Bat)
    • Jos Buttler (Wkt)
    • Zak Crawley (Bat)
    • Haseeb Hameed (Bat)
    • Dan Lawrence (Bat)
    • Jack Leach (Bwl)
    • Dawid Malan (Bat)
    • Craig Overton (Bwl)
    • Ollie Pope (Bat)
    • Ollie Robinson (Bwl)
    • Ben Stokes (AR)
    • Chris Woakes (Bwl)
    • Mark Wood (Bwl)

Far to many bowlers and not enough quality batting options...

you have already put yourself behind the 8 ball picking that squad... before a ball is even bowled...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I liked the look of Dan Lawrence. I don't think he should have been judged too much on the series in India. Everyone got battered there (bar Root).

They have a big problem with spin though. Leach was battered. Dom Bess will come into the next test. They'll go after Bess the same way India did earlier in the year.

They have Parkinson and Crane over there on the A Tour. I can see both coming in for Tests 3 and 4. And will probably end up with Joe Root spinning in the 5th test.

They may even go with no spinner (bar Root) in the 2nd test, a day nighter. Broad, Anderson, Robinson, Stokes, Root and bolster the batting.

They could really do with somebody like Moeen Ali right now. Now they are paying the price for messing him around for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

England obsession with white ball in domestic cricket in summer comes home to roost.

I enjoy listening to Hussain, key and atherton on the podcast. No bs. Say it how they see it

Would like to see Parkinson get a run of games. He has the ability to bowl the perfect leg break that drift and turn miles. Unlikely to be any less economical than the other options. As it is, Root has to be the spinner. Malan bowled some leggies last time too

Dan Lawrence didn't do much wrong I thought either. Impressed a few times in those Sri Lanka and India games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Next test starts tonight and with it being a day/nighter it begins at 4am with the last session under the lights.

Australia have made one change. Hazelwood has a side strain and so Jhye Richardson will play. He has been in excellent form in shield cricket and with the emergence of Cameron Green with the ball, Australia won't really miss Hazelwood whatsoever.

England surprisingly leave out Mark Wood who was arguably their best bowler in Brisbane. A strange decision as they don't have anyone else like him in their squad but he has had fitness issues over the years and so they will be keeping him back for Melbourne it appears. Jack Leach is strangely named in the 12-man squad despite an horrendous first test. Perhaps if England do score 400 plus, it might bring him more into the game rather than the Australians being under no pressure when he bowls. So it appears once again that the last spot will be between Broad or Leach as Anderson is surely set to play. England will also be under pressure with their over rate after heavy fines and a point deduction and that may factor their thinking also. Despite the top 6 largely failing in the first test, they once again get another go.

Australia will have happy memories of Adelaide. They bowled India out for just 36 last year on their way to a crushing victory.

Advertisement