Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convert lefthand drive to righthand drive

• 09-12-2021 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Thinking of converting a vw golf mk2 big bumper from lahd to rhd.

Any pitfalls, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

You have to get a main dealer to sign off on it. I think that would be the main obstacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Very basic car so should be reasonable enough to do.

Surely an engineer's report would be enough and maybe main dealer to verify chassis number.

They are getting more valuable. Would it not be more sensible to sell it and buy another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭jmreire

Technically, and if you have enough cash, everything is possible. BUT., realistically, is not a good idea. I've repaired badly damaged cars by changing all the usable parts into a new factory supplied bodyshell. I've also converted manual transmission cars to Automatic, and these changes were all doable. But changing a LHD to RHD is a completely different kettle of fish, because on the assembly line, RHD and LHD are two completely different assemblies. For one thing The wiring harness for each side are different, and these are the amongst first items to be installed on the assembly line. Then comes the dash and the complete steering set-up. Then the pedal cluster, which includes the brake, clutch and accelerator plus all fittings. These are just some of the things that I can think of, off the top of my head, but you will find that there's many others, when you get stuck into the job. Its far from a straightforward easy job.

There's also the issue of Insurance,,,,,especially when it comes to the question of " Has this vehicle been modified in any way" and with the way insurance works in this Country, good luck with that!

mickdw has suggested selling it and buying the same model, but RHD, and I'd be very inclined to agree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭pcardin

I have done the opposite, from RHD to LHD (not golf mkII) and basically - not really worth it. It is all the stuff jmreire mentions + you will be buying a lots of parts that are non-iterchangable, like front headlights, steering rack, window wiper linkage, climate control, dashboard panel, any many small things + plus a wiring loom from RHD. Of course you can tackle the existing one but it wont be easy and end result will be disappointing anyway, if not immediate, then long term for sure. Firewall might need changing or altering to get the rights holes for steering and pedals. Then the issue with insurance.

If you buy a RHD donor and do most of work yourself, technically doable, but I dont see a Golf II to be worth the effort tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I think it might be easier to just drive it in reverse all the time 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

MK II Golf had lhd wiper setup even in rhd markets. At least that’s one less thing to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, in the bodyshell you will get certain things which can be LHD or RHD, but unfortunately they are not too common. Once the shell reaches a certain stage in production, that's it. Its committed to either LHD or RHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 9clarin

Thanks everyone,

It looks like I'll give it a miss.

Onto my next project

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Only the very early mk2’s had lhd wipers for rhd market.

The lhd/rhd shell is the same, the blanks for lhd/rhd setup are already in the bulkhead but need to be cut out.

It would be a time consuming job but not too difficult if you had for example a good lhd shell you wanted to convert from a rusty rhd car.

Advertisement