Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hearing loss and tinnutus- Help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Pulsatile tinnitus

Occasionally, people will hear tinnitus noises that beat in time with their pulse — like they are hearing a heartbeat in their ear. This is usually linked to disturbances in the blood flow around your head or neck.

I found this on the specsavers site of all places! Describes what I have to perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

Ughh, never heard of that one. Sounds horrid. I get it very very occasionaly but always assumed it was something to do with my sometimes lazy lack of exercise! I normally have high pitched squeal thing going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I very occasionally get that high pitched 'squeal' note going on, it comes absolutely out of nowhere and stops just as suddenly, strange. Its very hard to describe tinnitus noises, at the moment I have a constant sheeeeee noise that doesn't pulse and isn't quite the same as yesterday's offering. I am mostly on my own during the day, if I have anyone around I don't notice the tinnitus so readily. Now I have to stop reading this thread and give it all chance to fade away 😀

I have never had any high pitch sounds of any description, just a constant loud pulse which I can actually feel vibrating against the pillow when I’m in bed. Article online says it’s sometimes caused by a blood vessel too close to the skin which possibly could be fixed with surgery. I had surgery for a perforated ear drum a few years ago but this actually feels like it’s coming from the opposite ear most times. Appointment in Beaumont hospital a few weeks ago was pointless, doctor in there just said to get a hearing aid as if that would magically cure it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

My ent consultant today returned last week's call. He said that leneir "would be good for" me. I expressed my concern as to the cost, the uncertainty of success and having not tried hearing aids first. He is arranging the fitting of hearing aids. They are the medical card ones so I'm not too confident about their success. Technically I am within acceptable hearing levels not to require hearing aids but the tinnitus just worsens it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Fishdoodle

That costs around about €2600, right? No guarantee of success, no definitive idea as to the cause. Hearing aid type devices just function as a band aid and don’t tackle the root cause. You’re in your forties … you’ve the rest of your life ahead of you! I’d imagine you’re probably suffering from stress and adrenaline with busy lifestyle. I’d certainly go with an alternative therapist -5 sessions for about €240 , would not only treat the tinnitus (possibly 100% , but regardless make a significant difference) also additional factors affecting health ie stress, parasympathetic / sympathetic nervous system. You could be done in a week.

Western medicine treats the symptom ,with tinnitus the symptom is not the cause. Eastern medicine is 2000 years old, -your body’s energetically out of balance, - that can be treated, but not by western medicine.

By all means, struggle on sitting with electrodes on you tongue & headphones each day hoping it goes away! There are other means -less expensive, non-invasive, effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

Have you anything to back up your assertions that the cause is "your body’s energetically out of balance"? Equally, have you any evidence (not anecdotal) that " would not only treat the tinnitus (possibly 100% , but regardless make a significant difference" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Underlying illness affecting cerebellum, not stress related. Tinnitus every minute of every day since 2009. Cbt is not going to resolve my issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Tinnitus can result from abnormal blood flow to the head & neck - perhaps the cerebellum issue may be a factor. Anyway, point is that it’s worth looking at a holistic treatment that looks at the whole body and not just the symptom. I wouldn’t use CBT myself for tinnitus , but from my own experience via different complementary route, I found my tinnitus reduced to about 10% of what it was. I don’t really notice it at all now, and felt my stress levels greatly reduced after treatment (also my focus, mental clarity increased).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

What's the best CBT and best price to be paying?

I think the Hermitage CBT at €100 per hour is very expensive

I had clicking like Morse code driving me crazy..I suffer from hearing loss as well although not got hearing aids yet..seems to be plaque trapped in a blood vessel at back of neck...thought I had tinnus but it's gone after afew days thank god.id be asking the doctor for any medicine to relax the blood vessels to try and get the plaque to pass through .

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

I’ve had tinnitus for over 30 years 24/7. I had a scan when I was 20 to rule out an acoustic neuroma. I eventually gave in and saw a Consultant about 10 years ago as my hearing loss was getting worse. He referred me to an audiologist and I discovered that I have moderate hearing loss in both ears even though my tinnitus is louder in my left ear. I’ve been wearing hearing aids since then. When I had the hearing test with the audiologist she tried different sounds and frequencies in both ears to see if any of them matched my tinnitus sounds. Unfortunately none of them did which was a pity as they might have been able to mask the noise from the tinnitus. She also said that me wearing hearings might help reduce the sound of the tinnitus if I was lucky. But that didn’t happen either. I presume all of you posters have had any ear wax cleared out of your ears before you had hearing tests done?

I had a hearing test done a few months ago and the guy swore it was just wax causing the hearing loss and sounds I could hear in my head, got the wax removed and back to the same guy for another test and hearing had zero improvement and the guy just shrugged his shoulders and said sorry! I’m now waiting to go back for a scan to see what’s causing my tinnitus, mine is pulsatile tinnitus I think, it’s basically my pulse I can hear thumping away in my ear. It’s driving me demented

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

I read somewhere that Van Gogh the painter, cut off his ear because he had tinnitus in it! I can totally understand it if he did have it! A scan won’t necessarily find the cause of your tinnitus but can rule out something like the acoustic neuroma I mentioned. There is no cure for the kind of tinnitus I have and no known cause for it either.

Hi, I went the see the Dr because my tinnitus has been upgraded from a part time problem (I didn't care too much about), to a 24/7 annoying companion.

She asked me to get a hearing test which I did and to my surprise I have bad hearing loss for a 37 years old.

I think its down to continuous use of a scanning device this last decade.

Has anybody been in a similar situation and had try to prove it before making a claim?

Advertisement