Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tyre pressure fluctuating - what's causing this please?

• 09-12-2021 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all and TIA for any and all replies to my query.

Yesterday the alarm sounded (and the light came on) that my left front tyre had decreased pressure. It was checked in a tyre shop, no puncture was found and inflated to 35 PSI. The alarm sounded again on the way back to the house, I measured it then and it read 27 PSI. This morning it is reading 38 PSI. I haven't driven the car yet today.

Can anyone explain what is happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

The air is expanding and contracting depending on the temperature outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭kirving

Did you measure it using a separate tool, or via the car's computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭micks_address

its not unusual for me to see tyre pressure lights on as temp drop in the autumn/winter..

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Tyre pressure gauges can be quite inaccurate. The ones attached to the ends of air lines that you would traditionally find in garages are notoriously unreliable. If you are making measurements with different gauges at different times then this could explain the big differences. If your car has a TPMS then the measuring valve could have become faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

from what you say it appears you have a tester and tested with 2 times... it seems the tester dodgy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭homenotaway

Thanks all for your replies. I only bought the tyre pressure gauge yesterday evening. I tested all 4 tyres but the only one which tested differently was the one which triggered the alarm/light.

A suggestion which was made by the tyre shop guy was that sometimes if a bearing is at fault the tyre pressure alarm is triggered.

The car is 2017 if that's of any help 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭zg3409

Look at the door where it displays the recommended tyre pressures. Some cars display the recommended pressure beside the actual pressure. Put in 3 or 4 psi more than needed and ensure error goes away. Then you can put in the right pressure at a later date. If you fill tyres when wheels are warm from driving, it will drop when cold.

Advertisement