Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My Bungalow Bliss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭techman1

I wonder what Jack Fitzsimons ,the author of bungalow bliss would make of it , the whole thing is contrary to everything he stood for, building a modest house on a tight budget where the design of the house was based on this philosophy

Here you have expensive architects , designers and builders involved in the refit of a modest bungalow, He would have ran in there thrown over the tables and threw them all out like Jesus did in the temple in Jerusalem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I thought it was a poor outcome for the money spent. What on earth was that laminated post for ? I think they will regret that frosted glass screen They had loads of attic space which was sacrificed for the double height concept. Really, both the builder and the architect should have alerted them to the problems of no foundations under the walls before they started digging ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Architects are notorious for not giving a damn about budget and just focusing on design.

Underfloor heating is just not feasible in refurbs.

That half see through partition was terrible too. Someone having a shower you'll see the outline of their privates.

I wouldn't be putting in any big panes of glass like they put in either. Anyone who is in the self build groups will know windows can spontaneously shatter due to a multitude of reasons. A bird fly into it, a football damage it or even a burglar smashing it will mean you have to spend thousands to replace it all. The architects don't care, they'll have the picture on the wall when the house is done and it'll look great and they get paid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If it was me, I would be suing the architects over he foundations. Why was that not checked? It beggars belief this aspect was just brushed into the rubble.

Another point utterly missed was the question of radon. The house is built on granite area which is an Irish radon hotspot. It should be standard practice for all houses in these areas to get a home test kit to check for radon, even if building work is not planned - but if it is, then it should be a requirement. Also, given the huge risk of radon, which causes lung cancer, it should be standard practice to install a radon barrier membrane anyway.

This programme is a very good advert as to why employing an architects will bankrupt you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Another quibble which you might have missed. The guy making the doors plunged a door rail straight on to the spindle moulder head - a good way to lose a few fingers. he should use a jig instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I know well what opaque means. You probably need to look up what "almost" means though !

It was a ridiculous feature. Even the architect, when trying to sell the concept to the owner (using plastic sheeting) sounded embarrassed having to make the suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If it's opaque, then you can't see anything though it. Simple enough explanation, and no reason to get worried about someone seeing you in the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Insane money for a small bungalow.

They showed a living room/kitchen, a bathroom and one bedroom of the finished house and they loooked very basic.

650k for that, and thats factoring in the couple doing alot of the work themselves, its ludicrous, architect and builders should be sued.

How can a budget of 140k exponentially increase to 312k ?

That poor couple will be paying off debt for the next 20 years.

Hugh has the cheek to sit there then and tell the couple what a great home they have, the emperors new clothes syndrome seems to be back again.

I haven't heard of large glass panels shattering myself. I've got a 2.2m x 2m, and a 3m x 2m triple glazed window, and have had multiple bird strikes, and no glass shattering. It would be covered under insurance anyway.

• Advertisement

I was scrubbing through episode 1, trying to find the opaque bathroom window. 🤣

Didn't realise it was episode two that you were on about. I see what you mean about someone seeing you in the shower now. But that window also isn't actually opaque, despite them calling it opaque.

Apologies, I thought you were being tongue in cheek. I didn't realise that you're either an idiot or are being deliberately obtuse. You can't see through a concrete block. The whole point of using opaque glass was to let light into the corridor, so of course you can (partially) see through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I accept you need a contingency budget but that's just taking the pi$$.

Episode 1:

Hugh: What's your budget?

Bespectacled guy: €205k

Hugh: Have you contingency?

Bespectacled guy: €30k

Hugh: So your budget is €235k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I wouldn't worry about the opaque window. That's relatively easily solved with a roller blind or something if it's a concern and I do think it's worth it to have the light in the hallway as those bungalow corridors can be very dark.

It seemed to me that the architect gave them a proposal initially that was over their budget but presented it on the basis that we can do X now and Y down the road when you have more money. The programme didn't really show how they got from there to the couple deciding to go the whole hog on it.

One thing that comes across from these two programmes is how horrendously expensive it is to retrofit old homes and I'd say it's making it totally off-putting for anyone watching who was thinking of going down that route.

This year's season of Cheap Irish Homes had some inserts of homes that had been brought back to life on very reasonable budgets. Most likely they wouldn't have A BER ratings at the end but the owners also wouldn't have a huge financial burden overhanging them either. 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭who what when

Firstly there was a structural Engineer on the job, foundations are their baby.

Secondly where are you getting the notion that a radon barrier wasn't put in? Of course it was. They dug out the existing floor in order to put down a new insulated floor with UFH, costing them 70 grand in the process so off course they put down a radon barrier.

There's so many issues one can have with this show you don't need to go off and make up more for the sake of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do you get VAT back on a new build in the south? In NI a new build you can reclaim the VAT, but AFAIK a renovation means you pay VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭who what when

No you don't. That would be far too progressive and sensible for this country.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I wonder how the producers pick people for these shows. These shows always start with a budget that gets blown to pieces fairly quickly. People always seem to be able to come up with the money though. I imagine the producers have an idea of how much money is available to a couple before they commit to filming their build. No point filming people who back out of things after being told how much their works will really cost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

although I suspect sort damp rewire re plumb, sort out the insulation, new kitch/bathroom for say under 100k isnt what they are looking for.

• Advertisement

Do RTE and/or the production companies pay the homeowners anything for using their story for entertainment purposes? I'd be surprised in the Architects are providing their services to RTE for free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭monseiur

I stand corrected Trondheim....need to make an appointment with my optician !

But the fact remains that a high budget, futuristic house should have a full bathroom with a jacuzzi / whirlpool / hot tub or similar not juat an apartment type shower.

Cheap Irish homes selected people who bought when prices were at least 30% cheaper and they nearly all had the ability to do a lot of the work themselves.

Cost of construction labour and materials has gone through the roof the last 2 years. Construction workers have all the power now and are demanding silly money for work

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Trondheim

I think the jacuzzi's are a bit of a gimick tbh, but I agree that a shower is not sufficient for a family house. You need to have a bath at least, and not having one will impact the resale value.

The show just annoys me. I’ve no interest in seeing people with a few hundred grand to spend getting fleeced by architects playing out their wet dreams.

I want to see a show that gives genuine advice and ideas to the majority of bungalow / cottage owners (myself included) who might have 20-100k to spend, or access to a home improvement loan, and who want to improve their BER, introduce some eco friendly aspects (like solar) or carry out non-structural improvements to kitchens, bathrooms, adding sunroom etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The architects have some neck on them.

If I was told a client had 140k budget, I'd design something within a budget of 140k, no matter how disappointed the client may be.

For an architect to come along and basically urge a client to spend 200k more is ridiculous.

I've been to a bunch of houses that Architectural Farm have done, and they do look really nice when finished.

That said, a friend of mine engaged them a few years back for an initial consultation, with a certain budget, and they came in 20k over budget. At least start within the clients budget, and creep up if needs be.

Most people seem to go over budget on builds though. No point lumping in your contingency budget from the start!

• Advertisement

It's rife in the building industry. When we were getting the kitchen redesigned and went around the usual suspects. Whenever you give the measurements over and basic outline and ask for a ballpark price, you'd never get a straight answer. The reply would invariably be "what's your budget?". So when you quite a figure back the budget would represent the most that the customer is expecting to spend. From the kitchen guy's point of view, the figure quoted represents the bare minimun they'll be expecting to trouser from the job

nd

Advertisement