Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Master Plan for Cherrywood

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

It gets bad long before that. First you have the occasional "where is my driver" delay at Sandyford and then the incredibly slow crawl up the ramp and over the bridge to get to Central Park. Then it whizzes along for a bit before reaching Glencairn and all is lost after that. To be fair, the last part (Ballyogan Wood to Cherrywood) was very rural and scenic the last time I was on it, kind of like a drive-through retreat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I am glad any thread talking about Cherrywood descends in to talking about how slow the Luas is. It is a disgrace at how slow it is between Sandyford and Bridesglen. A healthy person on an average mountain bike could cycling this distance in half the time the Luas takes to cover it. They should just scrap the Luas after sandyford and put their hands up that it is a disaster. Build cycle paths on the old line and a big bike shed at Sandyford. The Victorians 150 years had a train on this route that took half the time. If hines want to get good money for the thousands of homes they are building perhaps they should try and fix the Luas mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I remember taking the Luas into town when it first started.

Was laughing to myself as it has to stop at traffic lights.

Why do they not have some override signal for the tram to go through?

Agree that the journey to/from Cherrywood makes it unattractive,

unless one is on the lump, getting apartment for 20 EUR per week.

Post edited by Viscount Aggro on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I was working out there before lockdown, once you know how long it is, it's grand. Sit down and listen to a podcast for 45 mns, get to the end within a minute or two every day. Much better than a bus that could vary by 20/30 mns.

Cherrywood is undoubtedly a long distance from town. There are much more affordable areas closer to town if people aren't obsessed with the SCD thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cherrywood is just over 2 miles from Bray. To put that in perspective, its also about 2 miles from Cornelscourt.

The idea of Cherrywood being in Dublin on the Stillorgan Dual carriageway and near town is admirable myth making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s depends where you are going. If you need to go to Sandyford, Dundrum etc. it’s very attractive. Going to town not so much.

then again it was planned to be upgraded to a metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,539 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The tram line south of Sandyford was not planned to be upgraded to Metro.

Again people here have to remember that it is a tram line (not a metro) that takes a major deviation westward from the original railway line to serve the offices at Central Park and all the housing developments around Ballyogan Road.

It is not grade segregated along Ballyogan Road and that inevitably means that is isn’t going to be high speed.

What it can do is move large numbers of people and that is what it was designed to do.

Whoever built Tullyvale back in the day. Although that was when Maynooth and Clane were considered acceptable commutes to the city. I guess we're back there again now.

But it’ll be a lot faster to town once you get to Sandyford

• Advertisement

It’s relative closer to town. About a 30 minute cycle.

Thats how they should pitch it. "Cherrywood - Only 30 minutes to Sandyford, which is then only 20 minutes to town".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is it really 50 mins to SSG? you would definitely cycle it faster, I'd imagine the 145 bus is quicker too.

It’s 40 minutes to St Stephen’s Green from Brides Glen at 13:00.

Here are the running times per the TFI Journey Planner.

At this time of day the 145 is scheduled to take 40 minutes to Dawson St from the stop at the Wyattville Road / N11 junction.

So 50 mins on the LUAS or 25 mins in a car. Great incentive.

As above it’s 40 minutes.

Again, LUAS was never designed to be high speed rail, and certainly not south of Sandyford where it crosses multiple roads at grade, deviating from the old line to serve all of the housing developments along Ballyogan Road. Are you suggesting they shouldn’t be served by the trams?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

the big thing that would keep people on the luas over say a slightly quicker bus is reliability of journey time. Barring a major incident the luas journey time barely fluctuates.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Tullyvale, a sad decrepit depressing place if ever I saw one.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ah here, you're including 9 minutes walk in that.

• Advertisement

But nobody is selling it as being close to town. The marketing material advertise it as being the place where Mountains meet the Sea, and being "well connected". It is what it is, a Town that's 15k from O'Connell Bridge. Same distance as Lucan or Swords, but with the Luas already built.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

I’m not sure you could drive it in 25 minutes in the dead of night. Google Maps says 40 minutes right now with very light traffic.

Unless you’re being chauffeured around, you’ll presumably have to park your car somewhere which takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

It' just simply down to poor planning, if they built this as a full metro/DART from the beginning then we wouldn't be having this discussion. I imagine a Metro to O'Connell Bridge from Cherrywood would have been been roughly 35 minutes or thereabouts. Currently it takes long to get to O'Connell Bridge from Cherrywood than it does from Bray.

Of course this is all in hindsight and it'll never happen now so a overcapacity and slow LUAS will have to suffice. Which would be OK as other mentioned it was never meant to be a heavy rail and it does connect communities. However it is not an efficient way of getting into the city centre and it's clear there never will be one from Cherrywood. Just have to get used to Dublin being a woeful mishmash of piecemeal infrastructure projects.

OK so 40 minutes still, to travel 8 miles. Absolutely pathetic service.

Whoever the halfwit estate agents were that were trying to sell me one about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Thing is - before the Brideglen extension the companies based there used to run a courtesy bus from Sandyford Luas - that was way quicker (no use for people wanting off before Bridesglen of course). But the new Luas added 15 minutes to the commute lol

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

If you get the lights on the dual carriageway (you either get them all or get none) you'll get to Leeson St in 20 minutes outisde of rush hour. Driving is twice as fast.

There are 20 stops en route. The tram isn’t travelling non-stop.

You are fixated on it as if is supposed to be high speed rail, when in fact it’s a tram that is serving local communities and which isn’t grade separated.

• Advertisement

Fixated because its a shite service. Ive been on the Manchester to Bury tram, which is a couple of miles longer and it takes 30 minutes.

Defending the LUAS, considering the cost and how it means thats that for a lifetime seems weird. They spent 100s of milllions on something that takes longer than driving or (for the most part) getting the bus. FYI the bus has about 35 stops.

I don't live out there so dont really care but I worked out that way for years.

Advertisement