Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Over 16s shows? Fairview Park, Dublin (Olivia Rodrigo)

• 06-12-2021 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Wondering if all events at Fairview Park are 16 and over?

Have an 11 year old who can't wait to find some Olivia Rodrigo tickets under the Christmas tree. Three events (with other artists) are already on sale for 2022 at this venue, all over 16.

O.R. gig does not show any info yet, and tickets will go on sale this Friday.

Have there been any similar gigs for all ages there?

If it gets the Over 16s tag - can I bring an 11 year old along old when I attend myself?

thanks

sabrewulf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sabrewulf

First question has been answered on mcd.ie : sadly it's category "Over 16's" as well.

Not clear to me is if kids can get in when accompanied by an adult, or if this is a hard age limit. Would anyone here know?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭fafy

That act also is playing The Marquee, and it says, no under 16’s are allowed in the standing area, but itsokay in seats.

As i don’t think there are seats at the Fairview Park tent, its unlikely this is possible per the rules, but some do take a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Phendrick

can under 16's definitely attend the cork show? would consider booking into a hotel for the night. i've a 13 year old fan who's obsessed with her. can't believe they'd put an artist with a young following on in a park with no seating!

Yes, they can, its confirmed by default, they only can go into seating here:

Thanks everyone. I won't take any chances here and probably look to get tickets in cities where kids are allowed to attend the gig.

Bizarre they are age restricting a gig that draws primarily a very young crowd. Friends brought their 9 year old kid to Ed Sheeran in Phoenix Park with "standing area" tickets. Would have expected Fairview Park to be able to provide the same level of safety...

I do remember seeing 15 year olds being turned away in tears from a gig at the academy years ago when my kids were still babies and was thinking that this sucks and hoping this problem would be gone by the time mine were ready to go to gigs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Feck the kids. I'll be going to this one. Knew nothing about this lady till about 2 months ago. Kids were on about her. Presumed from the name she was another of those manufactured products like Ariana Grande. But this lady can rock. it's Brutal out here.

Just to leave people know, the Marquee is fairly unusual in that, if you have seated tickets, you can also stand(where floor is standing as it is for most gigs there), if thats what you want. The ticket checking is outside the tent, once inside, you can move from seating to standing, there are no inter area checks, unless of course someone queries with a steward you are in their preallocated seat number, its a handy option to have this choice.

On kids, its really a parental responsibility thing, is it wise to have an under 16 up the front of a standing gig ?, probably not, which is why they have these restrictions. But standing half way back- maybe more reasonable. But all comes down to potential legal issues, many parents are not averse, to suing a promoter, when things go wrong, allthough the age restriction was highlighted to them at the time of purchase.

I would hazard a guess that as there is a shortage of available venues in 2022, as touring is way up on normal volumes next year, this may explain why they put the act into a non seated venue. I’m also fairly sure this act is also, very popular with over 16’s, so they won’t have any problem shifting tickets.

Yes, I agree. This act is not solely relevant to the younger ones. I'm also looking forward to attending the gig. Still there is this feeling that if under 16s had been removed from from her ACL gig, a noticeable part of the crowd would have been missing:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mullmick

Apologies if I'm not looking in the correct place- I too saw the over-16 notice for the Fairview gig a few days ago... but now I can't find it under the Info section (the further information section is now blank). Any chance that requirement has been lifted by MCD? (Asking as a parent of a 13 year old who would love to go; she'd be 14 when this gig rolls around)

EDIT to Add: Apologies all- the requirement is now back again- and I had checked 3 times before posting- strange. Maybe something to do with my cache...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My sister has a contact in MCD and he confirmed today that the Fairview gig is over 16s only. That'll be my 12 year old niece and her friends gutted.

I wonder how many parents won't cop this and buy tickets as Christmas presents. Quite a few, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Probably many ! Its there in plain sight, parents need to be checking these things.

As for the gutted 12 years olds, there was a lot of things i wanted to do when i was 12, and was told NO, and that was the end of it. Seems to be different these days !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ah in fairness I don't think it's unreasonable for them to be disappointed they can't go to a gig by someone hugely popular in their age group. I went to plenty of concerts at that age and stood at all of them. This seems to be more an unfortunate oversight/confluence of factors than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 crackduck18

Does anybody know if an adult would have to go if two 16 year olds are going?

I don’t believe so. Sometimes they have “under x years old” must be accompanied by an adult, but i did not see that mentioned anywhere for this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Capone222

Does anyone know if they strictly enforce the over 16s rule at fairview park?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Yes they will strictly enforce it as they don’t want to void their event insurance

And mcd clearly advertised that it was a strictly over 16’s event on ticketmaster, press adverts etc.

@Fanirish

I don't know what their event insurance says!

And I have also brought my child to other events at other venues which had an age requirement that was advertised on ticketmaster, press adverts etc. and they did NOT strictly enforce it, which is why I was wondering if anyone was familiar with how this particular venue operates.

Under 16’s must be seated at big concerts sue to insurance. It’s been that way for years. Risk of crushing/injury to small children etc etc

the venue hasn’t opened yet so it’s a hypothetical question and no one of us can tell you what the security guards may or may not enforce

Yes I understand there's a risk of injury and crushing etc, but I wasn't sure as standing at the 3arena is 14+

I didn't know the venue hadn't opened yet, I will have to wait and see then, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I brought my 12 year old to Noel Gallagher in St Anne's, which was all standing, and there was zero issue with her getting in. I saw younger kids there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

There's a difference between children being allowed to attend with an adult and an outright, 16+ age limit, which is what Olivia Rodrigo's show has.

Kids get brought to shows all the time, whether it's Bruce Springsteen or Billie Eilish, usually with the caveat that younger children need to get seats.

They've never had shows in Fairview Park before, but it was clearly a condition of their licence that the shows all be 16+, since it isn't just Olivia Rodrigo's gig that it applies to.

It remains to be seen how strictly they'll enforce it, but I'm predicting a lot of upset young girls will be turned away on the night.

Unfortunately, the Cirque du Soleil show whose production setup days probably would have clashed with this has now had its run shortened, so Olivia could have been put in the 3Arena, which would have solved a lot of issues with her fanbase.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

The artists actually said she wasn’t yet ready/doing arenas on this tour. First time playing live so not jumping into deep end of an arena production

@delbertgrady

There are concerts that are 14+ though and the children do not need an adult to accompany them, and I know younger kids who got in no problem.

Also even at the 3arena where no 14s are allowed to stand even with an adult, there are often under 14s standing!

I was aware that all fairview park events stated 16+ but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was clearly a condition of their licence...and I have seen over the years that the advertised age restrictions are often not followed so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

And yes @Fanirish said, Olivia said she wasn't ready to do arenas, her album is only 34 minutes long too and her set list has been bumped up with a few covers but some of her gigs were only 45 minutes long so maybe she wouldn't have had enough material although I'm sure the younger ones wouldn't have minded that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Does anybody know where in the Park these gigs are going to be located? I couldn't find anything on Dublin City Council website.

I recall when I bought my St Vincent ticket it said under canvas. So not like Marley Park or the Iveagh Gardens. I can't imagine any entrance along the main thoroughfare in Fairview particularly with all that stretch currently dug up for roadworks. There's two Clontarf Road DART exits one just at the start of Fairview near the bridge and the other existing out at the back onto Alfie Byrne Road near the East Point.

Any thoughts?

@Mrs Shuttleworth

According to Dublinlive.ie, The concerts will take place at the Annesley Bridge end of Fairview Park.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/fairview-park-concerts-what-you-24216006

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I have tickets for my niece and her friend. The friend is 16, the niece is 16 in August. I'm hoping they're not too strict on the night.

Just got an email from Ticketmaster re all the Fairview Park gigs. It says all gigs STRICTLY over 16 (their caps not mine). This might explain the cancellation of the Mabel gig as she'd have a very young demographic? I was at Iron Maiden in Belfast on Monday and there were many small children there and plenty of 10 to 16 year olds (with adults obvs).

The tent appears to be directly straddling East Wall Road - very curious as I'd have expected it to be further into the Park away from residents. Weirder again is the three exits after the show all direct you onto Annesley Bridge Road which is dug up with punishing roadworks, whereas at the rere of the Park there's a direct and very wide pathway entrance to the DART station with no houses nearby. I will never understand the logic of Dublin City Council!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 buckinson

Just wondering if anyone that has attended the concerts in Fairview this week noticed if they were strictly applying the over 16 only rule.

I have tickets for Olivia Rodrigo next week for myself and my 12 and 15 year old daughters and not sure if we should waste our time travelling from Cork. Trying to get an idea if this rule will be applied strictly or if they are accompanied by adults will the look the other way.

Advertisement