Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 Round 21 Saudia Arabia GP

Options
1394041424345»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Yep. As we saw in this race, he can just run wide and not collide with Hamilton, then slow down and hand Hamilton the place, and still get penalised. Imagine if he ever actually did something like what Hamilton did at Silverstone, instant DSQ from the championship.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why not use the precedent they set then from that decision for verstappen. Poor communication and sight lines ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Maybe because the main cause of the collision was Verstappen’s eratic hard braking rather than any lack of communication? The stewards explained this clearly in their penalty decision.

Yes they did, but their explanation for the Hamilton one is not an explanation. It's a piss poor excuse to let him away with dangerous on track behaviour that he is whinging about himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

There was that time he took Hamilton out at Monza....yet he's still in the championship, or when he nearly did at Brasil and he's still in the championship or when he nearly did it this weekend, and is still in the championship, so...

I'm sure you'll say none of those incidents put Lewis in the wall/hospital. But that is because Lewis actually realised what Max was doing and bailed out before a big collision, unlike Max in Silverstone who could still have gone on to win had he bailed instead of continuing on regardless of outcome.

Max would greatly help himself if every so often he wasnt so aggressive and just gave up a corner and played the longer game in a race/season.

I actually still think Max could do it, and to be honest I would gladly see either driver lift the championship trophy. max is clearly a f**king class driver and is deserving of it and Lewis is a f**king class driver (and after seeing his drive at Silverstone in 2008 I will not hear otherwise).

The two of them are top of their game and leaveing everyone else in their wake, to the point of leaving a pit stop worth of time between their temates in the same machines. So come Sunday night whoever wins will be bloody good driver.

Post edited by Killinator on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And after all the hullabaloo both drivers ended up in probably the same positions they would have if there was no red flags or safety cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

• Registered Users Posts: 45,009 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Doesn't count you see. Verstappen is allowed to take any line, from any distance and drive in any direction he wants - thats just racing.

Hamilton trys to send one up the inside? Attempted murder.

Vertappen 'attempts' to send one up the inside - well thats just good old hard racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Hijpo

If Vertsappens front tags Hamiltons rear on a corner even though there is acres of space being left for him then people would 100% call Verstappen out on it.

From the penalties at the weekend it's clear Verstappen doesn't get away with stuff so I don't know where that notion comes from.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Put the general consensus on boards is that they’re racing incidents, or ‘but but Silverstone’.

Go back to the Monza thread and look at everyone who said it was a racing incident. They are in the vast majority even though Verstappen had zero chance of making that corner but tried to bulldoze his way through anyway.

• Advertisement

It was in reply to the "attempted murder" comment which is clearly the Silverstone accident.

If verstappens front tagged Hamiltons rear in Monza then yes it's clear he was no where near the corner. As it happened they were pretty much level at the apex, Hamilton continued to squeeze, Verstappen had no room, hit the sausage kerb and his rear tyre ran up Hamiltons rear tyre.

He also got a penalty for it, so the claim that rules don't apply to him is pure muck.

He had no chance of making that corner. Zero. Hamilton owned the racing line and Max was never ahead.

All Max had to do was pullout of the move, like Hamilton did earlier in that very same race.

He very rarely accepts defeat which a lot of people find admirable but the best of the best know when to pull out and that was one of those occasions. Yes mistakes can happen because they’re also human, but when it’s happening on a few occasions in a very short time frame then it becomes a pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Well Martin Brundle disagrees with you (3:07 in 1st video) and so does Scott Mansell. Both have it down as a racing incident. Of course we all have an opinion, but I don't think it's as clear cut as saying it was totally Verstappen's fault.

This is the one where Brundle comments on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZgniFQiTPA

This is Scott Mansell's.

If he got into a position where he was on the inside and level (roughly level unless people expect them to be wheel nut\wheel nut level) during a left turn after being on the outside and behind of a right turn then surely it's a fight for the corner?

It's not like he made a dive from miles away down the inside of the right hander and blew Hamilton out of it or tagged Hamiltons rear with his front while Hamilton was half way around the corner.

None of the other incidents put Hamilton out of a race and Verstappen has been penalised for same when found to be predominantly to blame.

They were close in turn one (with Hamilton ahead), but turn two Hamilton was clearly ahead. Never at any stage was Max ahead.

Also, why didn't those incidents put Hamilton out of the race? Because on three occasions he had to take avoiding action while Max flew off the track because he completely out-braked himself.

I'll balance this out with the third (?) restart where Verstappen went down the inside of Hamilton and Ocon. That was absolutely text book and one of the best passes I've ever seen. He found his braking limit and was able to keep it on the road while going for a small gap.

Id take this and switch the names around if I could.

Hamilton remember was reprimanded several times for erratically driving specifically in front of Alonso some years ago, so let's not pretend he's some virtuous, clean as whistle driver. He whinges when it goes against him. In the Silverstone incident, max said its what happens. Doesn't like it.

Hamilton is repeatedly going with the crazy narrative as if he says is it enough, his clout will make it stick

Nobody is trying to suggest he's a clean as a whistle driver, at all.

In fact, the majority narrative around here is the exact opposite.

Before anyone starts, I know people were trying to excuse the Silverstone crash, they are in the minority. Anyone with eyes can see whose fault that was.

However you've people here saying Hamilton tried to intentionally kill Max that day and comparing him to Lance Armstrong and Tonya Harding. It's absolutely bullshit and anyone who pulls them up on it (the few that do) are dismissed as having blind bias or for being a fanboy. F*ck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

One person has made the silly harding Armstrong remarks on fairness. That's not a fair remark on "people" and as I said, even max wrote it off as racing.

Lewis hasn't done that though for incidents. He's a massive hypocrite in that respect. It's racing and good agressive driving when he does it. Used to love the senna comparisons. It's dangerous or crazy when someone does something he has done umpteen times and he doesn't like it.

Max and Horner spent 2 weeks bitching about the Silverstone incident, and when the media asked Max about it at the next race he swore at the journalist who did so.

Sorry, but the notion that they said that it's just racing and left it alone is nonsense. It's complete and utter nonsense. They played out their own narrative, unchallenged, for as long as they could and when the journalist asked Max about it what happened? He lost the head, again.

One person made those remarks but like I have said time and time again, that poster goes unchallenged making those ridiculous claims because nobody who is more in favour of Max than Hamilton pulls them up on it, and those who do are dismissed. It's completely unacceptable to make remarks like the Silverstone crash was attempted murder and that Hamilton is in the same realm as one of the biggest cheats in the history of sport and someone who had their opponent vicously assaulted and then on the same post accuse others of being blindly biased. Is this what we've been reduced to here?

As I've said. Both of them give it as good as they have it in their statements and in their racing, and they're led by two egomaniacs in Horner and Wolff who are so desperate to make it as much about themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Great photo of Verstappen reclaiming the lead on the second restart as Hamilton runs into Ocon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭McFly85

To be fair, Max certainly didn’t spend 2 weeks bitching about it. He said he wanted to move on and got hounded by journalists asking the same question over and over again. Had he not been asked about it I don’t think he would bring it up himself. Sure him swearing at the journalist was clear exasperation, not some expletive ridden tirade.

Of course Horner did, though. But I’d expect him to. Same as I’d expect Toto to back Lewis in any situation. Both of them have shown this season they’re not sporting rolemodels of any sort. But if one does it, the other kind of has to do it I think, to ensure one isn’t getting undue influence with the stewards. Kind of like when a football manager refuses to admit the clear penalty his team gave away was a correct decision.

And commenters who consider any driver a murderer or a massive cheat etc should obviously be ignored. There’s no point discussing because they’re obviously not going to change their minds.

So hamilton clipped 2 drivers? MAn, that guy is crazy*

*this is sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

It surprised me that Mercedes drivers have now let Verstappen past twice at race starts recently. I thought Hamilton should have just let Ocon go and cover off Max at the start. He could have easily taken Ocon later in the race rather than colliding with him off the start.

Verstappen is definitely in Hamiltons head now and Hamilton is always keeping as far away as he can from him at race starts.

If a collision is to happen at Abu Dhabi it is likely to be at the start as anything after that could result in exclusion from championship if it looks in any way reckless or intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Really want Max to do it, but if Lewis does well fairplay 8 titles. Both great drivers, it's just I can't stand the virtue signalling from Lewis. Which clouds my judgment of his driving and I know it shouldn't.

Anyway let's hope its a hum dinger of a grand prix.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,009 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Same logic Verstappen says he used in SA in that running Hamilton off the road was deemed fine in Brazil so why was he not allowed do it in SA.

Almost like the FIA made an absolute mess of the punishments given to Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

https://www.balls.ie/motorsport/brundle-on-verstappen-494036 . Mr Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Roll on tomorrow. Here’s hoping for lots of crashes and madness. A crazy race like Saudi please!!!!! First race since the 90’s that was actually exciting start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement