Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you put off reading a training log if the logger works in miles?

• 08-12-2021 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Are you put off reading a training log if the logger works in miles? 71 votes

Yes
    28% 20 votes
    No
    53% 38 votes
    Doesn't bother me
    18% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I voted just to prove that I do read some stuff outside of the training logs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Wottle

:-) not sure why I included option 3, think I confused myself.

I've a couple of training groups and I work in miles, one or two have mentioned that I come into the 21st century

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don't mind a logger using miles, as long as they don't give out about other people using kms!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I knew a fella called Sean and his grandfather was called Myles......so Sean's nickname was 'Kilometres'....I'll go back to sleep now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I run and train in kms. Most of the people I run with work in miles. They often ask me for the kms when we're running. Doesn't bother me when someone logs in miles, it does take a while for me to get a handle on their noted pace in min/miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Not at all. With online content and training plans both metric and imperial I naturally switch in my head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is there any other way to log? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I don’t really know anyone who uses kilometres. Maybe it’s a Dublin / country thing. Or track/road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Runners use miles, triathletes use kilometres…..

How long is a Dutch mile? 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I use both interchangeable. In the naughties I used miles then I took a break from running for a few years after that I switched to metric, not sure why? My coach will often give the pace in 400s when we're on the the track for people using either system. It doesn't bother me it's all time and distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭longrunn

When I started running regularly a few years ago I used KMs because it's the metric system and I have used the metric system for measuring distance since as long as I can remember. However, as I got more serious about running I found miles being used quite a lot in books and online material so I tried using both. It was hard to get used to miles initially but once I joined an AC and started training on a track it actually became easier to use both due to the nature of a track distance being in metres but also fractions of miles. I now use miles for distance and pace, but can easily recalculate to KMs in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's actually a very useful skill to have in running, being able to convert back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Depends on your influences;

If you have been in the sport a long time or follow US/UK coaches etc more than likely miles will be the default.

Continental coaches or those with a Cycling/Triathlon background and km will be first port of call

Old habits die hard with me and will always covert from miles to km as port of call (can take a min as I work from the 5/8 baseline and go from there)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

My log has always been in km. My auto lap is set to miles, but lap pace is in kms 🤣 works for me anyway....or judging by the year I've had, maybe it doesn't 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I’m the opposite - I’m put off if a log uses Km - can’t get my head around it - I’m just a miles girl 😁

I used to convert all paces/distances on my log to miles for the likes of yourself but in the end I figured, why should I be doing all the work? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

It was regularly training on a 400m track that made it easy for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

It’s like a black hole to me makes zero sense 😂 I just about know 5k is 3 miles and a 10k 6 miles but after that and as for pace 😂 Just joined a gym for the winter - I’m so bad I set 4 miles on my watch and ignored the machine 🤷‍♀️ ( after I spent 10 mins trying to find the button that changes it to miles ☺️)

ps I still read your log as I like reading about your runs in the wilds of Donegal. 😀

• Advertisement
Advertisement