Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Germany has a new Chancellor

• 08-12-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Today the Bundestag voted in a new traffic light government (the SPD, the Greens, and the liberal FDP) headed by Olaf Scholz, now Germany's new Chancellor and the head of the largest economy in Europe (and the 4th largest in the world). It brings an end to Angela Merkel's 16 years in charge, replacing her CDU-led government.

In terms of actual policy and a broader political impact this has as much significance for Ireland and Europe as a whole as Biden's election last year in America. German Chancellors also tend to have fairly long staying power - Merkel saw 4 French Presidents during her tenure, 5 British Prime Ministers, 8 Italian Prime Ministers, 4 US Presidents and 5 Irish Taoisigh. So we can reasonably expect to hear about Scholz and his government for many years to come...

What will his leadership mean for Europe going forward? And what implications are there for Ireland? Anyone more versed in German politics wish to comment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Don't mention the war

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Raichu

as long as they keep the Christmas markets I’m grand with it either way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Legalisation of weed will drag the rest of Europe into the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

A German Green as the Minister of Foreign Affairs should prove interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

While Merkel has been chancellor for a long time, both the FDP and SDP have been coalition partners in her government, so it's not likely top be a massive swing or policy shift, more of a gentle move from moderate centre-right to moderate centre-left. The Greens will be pushing for more green policies of course, but then so is everybody who pays attention to the science so that's the direction of travel for all governments around the globe regardless.

Scholz isn't as well liked as a personality so it's very early to suggest he's going to have anything like the staying power of Merkel just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I like that his name is Olaf, it reminds me of Frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A Green in charge of one of the world's largest economies, boards.ie crank posters and the journal must be having a meltdown

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I heard he wants to introduce an EU directive to turn everyone's granny into a bicycle lane and mandate that Currywurst sausages will be made from tofu.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

It really says a lot about Irish lack of curiosity/interest in Europe that this thread has so little engagement compared to any thread about the US or UK.

• Advertisement

While the SPD has been in government with the Free Democrats and the Greens before it hasn't been in government with them both at the same time. I wonder how stable the government will really be and how capable of agreeing major policies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Scholz is hardly a Trump or BoJo though, not much sca there

I don't really mean it should attract the same attention as the inauguration of a US president but I just feel the German Chancellor has a significant impact on the direction of the EU so surely we should be a bit more interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well looking at usual topics + posts, the forum here is generally plugged into US (& UK) right wing, and fighting the 2 sides of the US/UK "culture wars" etc.

Their media sources of choice maybe haven't started to monster the new German govt. (since it is barely in office!) so no posts about it yet.

From little I've read, this German govt. edit: could be more pro EU than the last one and will maybe agree with what Macron has been saying for years + start another push for further/deeper EU integration. So there could be wails of terrible anger unleashed here if/when that kicks off!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Closer to Boston than Berlin springs to mind.

I guess a lot of it is down to the language barrier, but it is a sign of how utterly Americanised Ireland is that even lower-level politics in the US (which admittedly can be very dramatic and flashy) get a great deal of traction whereas a European country with a much stronger influence on our politics is barely noticed. Or if there are any comments on it, the usual rehashing of stale WW2 jokes like some lazy British tabloid.

Yes, I'm guilty of it myself unfortunately. I try my best to keep up to date with politics in mainland Europe but I'm definitely more informed about who is running for governor in a given US state than who is leading the opposition in Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

That's true but I imagine the French Presidential elections will have more interest than this event even though Germany is probably more important for Ireland than France. The German contest is a lot more horsetrading behind closed doors and coalition based.

A Green Chancellor will never retake Alsasc-Lorraine, Let alone Prussia

Advertisement