Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sales market currently, comprised of investors or home seekers?

• 05-12-2021 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

At the moment Ireland = a sellers market.

Those doing the purchasing however, is it possible to comment in any capacity, but I would assume given the lack of rentals available, the purchasing demographic is being made up primarily of those looking to establish their own living quarters, move into it themselves i.e. home seekers.

The other purchasing demographic being investors, those buying with a view to subsequently renting the property.

In the current market as said, one would assume it's primarily the former, less so the latter that are doing the purchasing?

Any real estate moguls with an opinion on this matter?

In physics we trust....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 equilibre

i think it’s investors. A big family home sold in ballincollig in cork recently and it immediately up for rent at 3.5K per month. We watched it go on the market and then onto property price register and then onto daft as a rental within the space of about 6 months…. Chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

The stats dont lie. Look at the figures on mortgage draw downs. There are very few buy2let mortgages being drawn down. Look at the RTB stats on the number of registered lettings. There is a significant flight of landlords from the market. Of course there will be exceptions, but I'd doubt there are many investors buying at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

The HPM02 dataset on the CSO may give some colour on this if you want to dig around on it. There's a "non-household buyer" category but this encompasses AHBs, councils, funds etc and so you can't drill down into what proportion are "investors".

Looking at the stats by sale count for Dublin only, the monthly % of sales of "existing" stock to non household buyers is between 20% to 30% in 2021 depending on the month. % of new builds that goes to this category of buyer is bigger which is likely down to part V and funds etc. I also don't know whether self builds by funds/REITs as opposed to buying off developers is included but I expect they are not.

Advertisement