Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using a smart trainer in a garage.

• 05-12-2021 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I've just bought an elite directo xr t. Unfortunately the only place I have to put it in is the garage.

I'm just wondering how concerned I should be by the trainer getting damaged by cold and condensation?

Looking to learn from the experiences of others who are using a trainer in the same type of environment and what you do to protect the trainer

Having the trainer in the house is not an option at the moment.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Don't have personal experience but I've often seen this same question on FB groups etc. and the general consensus seems to be that it isn't much of an issue - seems like a lot of people use the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Thanks @CantGetNoSleep. Mine's sitting unboxed in the garage since thursday. I came down with a heavy cold and didn't get any further. Decided I'd better arrange a PCR test and self isolate etc just to be sure. Only got the all-clear yesterday. So hopefully I'll get it set up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I bought a Wahoo Kicker Core in Oct 2020 and it lives in the garage. No issues with it. It's a large shed but is not insulated. Steel clad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

More moisture from sweat.

I've a laptop, stereo, turbo and beer fridge in the metal shed with no bother for the last 5 years (has an anti-condensation fluffy coating).

I can't keep cloth in there (or the dart board) without mould but electrics are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

Turbo trainer, an old LCD tv and my personal media/backup server with like 10TB of data all running in the block built but un-insulated shed - Everything survived have two winters and now going into the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have mine in an unheated shed, albeit I did end up insulating as it went from Turbo space to full mancave with bar over 1st lockdown. But even before that I had no issues with turbo or books being left there. Ventilation probably a factor too though, and with the airmovers going for the turbo and the door propped open the air is circulating quite frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Thanks for the feedback folks.

You've put my mind at rest. I've used it three or four times at this stage with no issues

It's amazing how quickly using one makes you forget about the cold.

Thanks again.

Advertisement