Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fat Electric Bike

• 07-10-2021 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Father in law bought this electric bike:

and looking at it got me curious. No info on their website regarding the origins of their bikes but it looks to me like an adapted fat bike. In other words the rear wheel looks to have been replaced, the handlebar replaced, the battery attached to the frame and the power cables attached to the frame also. The frame does have internal routing to the rear derailleur which further adds to the adapted bike belief.

Anyone have any further insights ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

I thought ebikes sold in the Irish market had to be capped at 25km/h and had to be peddle assist only? This seems to have 35km/h cap and 'pure electric' mode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be wary of standing too close to it too, lest you get trapped in its gravitational field.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

My nephew has one, 1500 I think it set him back, it would nearly entice me into buying one, he flys past my house going up hill like he's being pulled by a landcruiser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

It's very comfortable he says. The manual is rubbish but it does mention 15 PSI in the tires which would account for the comfort on rough country roads

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the chances of him being done for it are essentially zero, but it's legally a moped. i.e. legally he needs a licence, insurance, helmet etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

1000W very definitely not street legal in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I paced one of those electric fat bikes while driving a few months back.

45km/h without pedalling - albeit on a slight downhill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I wonder do the watts of the motor bear any relation to the watts a power meter is telling you you're putting out: 250w for a guy weighing 80kg is a good solid pace and 1000w might be what you would hold for a couple of seconds in a max out sprint when fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jonnyphant

Why are the chances so low, police just never stop somebody on what looks to be a bicycle?

pretty much. if you were doing 50km/h on it on the flat, they might stop you. but 35km/h isn't so significantly above the legal 25km/h assist that it'd raise eyebrows easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭reniwren

I have something similar, you can restrict the top speed in the settings. But one thing is for sure in traffic a throttle is much safer than not having one, forgetting the takeoff speed settings and ending up in the back of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

But if you are involved in an accident you could be in deep sh1t! I genuinely don’t understand how people think that this okay - its essentially the same as driving a motor bike without insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I am looking for recommendations for a bike

Any thoughts on this one?

https://radpowerbikes.eu/products/radrhino-step-thru-plus-electric-fat-tire-bike

first question; why would you need fat tires?

Looking at electric bikes and I don't know what to go for.

if it's a utility bike, i wouldn't get fat tyres unless you have a specific need. is it for commuting?

my wife has one of these and she's really happy with it - good thick tyres, but it's more expensive than the one you linked to.

getting something that's in stock is the next battle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you're looking at an ebike for commuting fat bike tyres will just slow you down. Unless you're planning on riding in snow or sand daily you're better off looking at anything else. A mountain bike with road tyres, a road bike or flat bar road bike/hybrid.

Advertisement